• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    So you think that the officers responding to the event were thinking in their heads, "Lots of shooting going on, maybe people getting killed, but we don't want to arrest anybody because that may affect school funding"??????????

Please, tell me more.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I read today that 2 swat officers got suspended from SWAT and told to turn in their rifles because they were in the area and immediately tried to respond to the shooting.

I'm starting to get confused as to weather the police force if from Florida or California.

They were not suspended for responding. They were suspended for not NOTIFYING anyone that they were responding. All they needed to do was make one radio call or one phone call.

Big difference.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So you think that the officers responding to the event were thinking in their heads, "Lots of shooting going on, maybe people getting killed, but we don't want to arrest anybody because that may affect school funding"??????????

Please, tell me more.
    I do believe there was an attitude of do nothing or very little and that maybe why you have a cop that was looking towards retirement with what he had thought would be a nothing job that would keep him out of harms way.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I do believe there was an attitude of do nothing or very little and that maybe why you have a cop that was looking towards retirement with what he had thought would be a nothing job that would keep him out of harms way.

Yeah, but that had nothing to do with any sort of federal funding issues. That is on the cops as individuals. Peterson was the SRO. He had the training. He had the knowledge. He knew what he was supposed to do and instead stayed outside, trying to command the scene by directing traffic, giving reports on people and things he saw outside of Building 12, and telling other cops to not go in, to stay back at least 500 feet.

He didn't just fail to do his job. He seemed to be actively engaged in keeping others from doing their job as well.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yeah, but that had nothing to do with any sort of federal funding issues. That is on the cops as individuals. Peterson was the SRO. He had the training. He had the knowledge. He knew what he was supposed to do and instead stayed outside, trying to command the scene by directing traffic, giving reports on people and things he saw outside of Building 12, and telling other cops to not go in, to stay back at least 500 feet.

He didn't just fail to do his job. He seemed to be actively engaged in keeping others from doing their job as well.
    I'm wasn't arguing that. If the funding had made it a "hands off" situation, it would have made it a perfect place to stick someone who had the time and age to retire but looking to pad that percentage of retirement. If you have been in that "Im not going to get myself hurt" attitude for awhile that could explain his reluctance. Not saying it's right.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    They were not suspended for responding. They were suspended for not NOTIFYING anyone that they were responding. All they needed to do was make one radio call or one phone call.

Big difference.

Absolutely. IMO, this is how folks get bamboozled by the headlines and lack of understanding regarding situations where bullets are flying, regardless of the direction.

I can understand the reasoning in reprimanding these folks ... it's called "command and control". Knowing the exact location, and being able to direct all elements of a response team, the need for an accurate position location is probably the most important aspect of any situation, be it in a combat situation, or a SWAT situation.

For an operation using the training of a SWAT team, and where the shooter's location is fluid, it is even more important. IMO, in this case it was an appropriate response to a violation of that principle.

Then again, I'd bet they also got a BIG pat on the back behind the scenes for their initiative, and more than a few rounds at the bar, even if can't be a public one ...

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

Big difference.
    At worst, it should have been a warning and extra PT. Suspension sends the wrong message to the other officers and to the public.....as we have seen.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Please, tell me more.

I think you need a little background on what he's referring to. He's not saying the cops shouldn't arrest someone in response to the shooting, he's referring to a program where kids weren't sent through the typical punishment system before, and could have possibly headed off the shooting by addressing issues years ago.

Big difference.

So if an officer, or swat member is at a donut shop and the gas station across the street has a shooting that starts, he has to radio in for permission first before he can go over there?

Besides, the way the rest of this is unfolding, it sounds as if they would have been told not to go, as they were swat, and likely wouldn't just want to sit outside with the other deputies and school resource officer who didn't want to enter the building.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    So if an officer, or swat member is at a donut shop and the gas station across the street has a shooting that starts, he has to radio in for permission first before he can go over there?

I never said they had to ask for permission. Please read much more carefully in the future.

They do have to radio in the situation, location and that they are going in. For permission? No. To inform? Yes.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    As the thread title said, it is sickening. But it's sickening that people feel that the problem was a 19 year old being able to buy a rifle rather than addressing the many issues that allowed a former student to carry out the shooting and whom those people trusted were unwilling to stop it.

easy rider,

EXACTLY SO.

yours, satx

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I never said they had to ask for permission. Please read much more carefully in the future.

They do have to radio in the situation, location and that they are going in. For permission? No. To inform? Yes.

My apologies. I was not aware your word was gospel. I was under the impression we were discussing the guys who got suspended and was basing my statement on what I had read elsewhere. Now I know I can ignore the media and just take your word for why they were suspended.

The stuff I read went something like

Independend UK said:
    ....since they did not receive prior approval from their superior officers, and presented a safety risk by showing up without being called for...

NY Post said:
    The SWAT members are being disciplined for jumping into action and racing to the rampage scene without permission, officials said.

ABC news said:
    Two SWAT team members in Florida have reportedly been suspended for choosing to respond, without permission, to a shooting at a high school in Florida where 17 people tragically lost their lives.

Silly me and my careless reading skills.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Direct excerpt from Fox article:
    >>>
    The two unidentified officers were suspended on Wednesday after officials learned that “the two employees took it upon themselves to respond without notification to the SWAT commander” on February 14, creating “an extreme hazard by way of accountability, responsibility, and liability,” Chief Dexter Williams said in a statement.
    <<<

This excerpt includes a quote from the Chief which is a little more authoritative than NYP, ABC or a Brit newspaper. But you have to read more than just the first paragraph of the article to reach the above excerpt.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Direct excerpt from Fox article:
    >>>
    The two unidentified officers were suspended on Wednesday after officials learned that “the two employees took it upon themselves to respond without notification to the SWAT commander” on February 14, creating “an extreme hazard by way of accountability, responsibility, and liability,” Chief Dexter Williams said in a statement.
    <<<

This excerpt includes a quote from the Chief which is a little more authoritative than NYP, ABC or a Brit newspaper. But you have to read more than just the first paragraph of the article to reach the above excerpt.

My official response to Chief Dexter Williams.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom