• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I don't even have a debit card. No risk that way. Credit card is much easier to not lose money on.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    My debit card was hit about 3 months ago then my replacement card was hit about a month ago. From what I understand card readers at gas stations are getting hacked now. Somehow the card readers are getting hardware added to them which allows the data to be read and then wirelessly transmitted to a receiver parked somewhere nearby. Fortunately I was hit for only about 25 then 15 dollars each time which the bank eventually refunded me but getting that refund it not a fast process. Not sure what I would have done if my bank account got cleaned out.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Mine was hit today for $1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn!! That's crazy. Where was it used? Was it used online or over the counter?

For what it's worth my bank credited my account this morning for the $150 stolen yesterday from me. Actually, they credited me twice for a total of $300, but I'm thinking they will catch that shortly.
    I also made a trip this morning to the bank to report that their ATM was more then likely the culprit as it was the only place my card was used.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    Vegas. I think online and the store is in Vegas. Who buys $1200 worth of clothes? Damn. Bank said they caught it while it was still pending so it’s out of my account but hasn’t got to the company yet. According to my bank. Said I should get every penny back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My debit card was hit about 3 months ago then my replacement card was hit about a month ago. From what I understand card readers at gas stations are getting hacked now. Somehow the card readers are getting hardware added to them which allows the data to be read and then wirelessly transmitted to a receiver parked somewhere nearby.
    Yep, crooks are attaching card readers to gas pumps and ATMs too. Someone hacked my debit card last year and bought a one year subscription to Match.com. The bank caught it. I was never out any money. Then someone tried to change my address on one of my credit cards to somewhere in Florida. The cc company caught that too. I have since put a freeze on my credit with all 3 credit bureaus.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Fortunately I was hit for only about 25 then 15 dollars each time which the bank eventually refunded me but getting that refund it not a fast process. Not sure what I would have done if my bank account got cleaned out.

Fortunately you caught it. They only hit for small amounts like that since most folks don't review their transactions often or thorough enough to catch small amounts. If they hit you for $300, it would stand out as you glanced through things, but $20 at a gas station, move on. That way they can do it month after month and it adds up over a large number of people.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I check my bank transactions online daily. I've seen that the hackers post a very small charge first, usually under $2. If that goes through, they will try a larger amount.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I check my bank transactions online daily. I've seen that the hackers post a very small charge first, usually under $2. If that goes through, they will try a larger amount.
    Most banks today will let you set email alerts for certain things. I get an email for every debt of $1 or more.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Most banks today will let you set email alerts for certain things. I get an email for every debt of $1 or more.
    I've got alerts set for a certain amount on online purchases only. The bank sends me an email with a list of all daily purchases, but it's usually a couple days behind.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    It might be easier to change my alert preferences.
    It would indeed. It sounded to me like you were already doing what you could.

Also, it said your alerts take 2 days. Not sure how you are counting those.
    Transactions post to accounts overnight and I get my alerts the next morning.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    It would indeed. It sounded to me like you were already doing what you could.

Also, it said your alerts take 2 days. Not sure how you are counting those.
    Transactions post to accounts overnight and I get my alerts the next morning.

I get them as soon as they are pending.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Verizon account was hacked this morning, one hour after paying bill online.
    Once again, the ALERT/NOTIFICATION feature came to the rescue.

Billing and Service address and email was changed, which triggered the text alert.

Verizon couldn't tell me how it happened, but it was obviously social engineering, as a Service rep called me and left a message as well. That time of the year again ...

Top Bottom