• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I went to the ER this morning because my left leg was hurting and kept going numb. They did a CT scan of my leg and lower back. The CT showed degeneration of the Sacrum, and the T4 and T5, bulging disk from T3-T5, and a collapsed disk at T-2. They also said that my spinal cord has begun to swell due to the pressure from the disk. They gave me a bunch of meds for the pain and try to help with the swelling but told me not to be surprised if im in a chair by the end of the month.

The worst part about this is that the VA knew 2 years ago that this was starting and that without the meds they have been refusing to give me that this would happen.

Last edited:

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Yep, they said the nerves are getting damaged which is why i am losing feeling in my lower legs and the pain in the upper legs. They hope the meds will help and that surgery is an option but if not i could lose the use of my legs.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Yep, they said the nerves are getting damaged which is why i am losing feeling in my lower legs and the pain in the upper legs. They hope the meds will help and that surgery is an option but if not i could lose the use of my legs.

I'm really sorry to hear that.

If there's anything any of us can do, let us know.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    You are not alone. I've got two herniated disks from a bad parachute accident.

My orthopedic surgeon did not want to risk surgery, because for that kind of injury, the outcomes are usually worse than the condition.

He recommended physical therapy at home with a series of floor exercises to relax the back, eliminate the consumption of alcohol, and drink only water to rehydrate the disk tissue.

I could not tolerate the narcotic pain medications, so he advised me to take two aspirins a day.

About three months later, I was back on my feet and up to running four miles a day.

Every now and then I'll do something to aggravate the condition and wind up with severe Sciatica. I just fall back to what the Doc told me to do, and it always get better.

Getting old sucks!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Get a second opinion. Have them forward the films/tests to another Orthopedic Surgeon that specializes spinal surgery.......Not one at the VA.....

Do some home work/research on the Surgeon's work and reputation....

I wish you well, I have had a discectomy and fusion and went from wanting to suck a cold blue steel barrel to being pain free and living a life equal to before the injury....

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Get a second opinion. Have them forward the films/tests to another Orthopedic Surgeon that specializes spinal surgery.......Not one at the VA.....

Do some home work/research on the Surgeon's work and reputation....

I wish you well, I have had a discectomy and fusion and went from wanting to suck a cold blue steel barrel to being pain free and living a life equal to before the injury....

The VA would be the second opinion, the first was a civilian ER. I just left the local VA clinic i have an appointment in a week and a half to see my primary so that i can get approval to see a ortho doc.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I have a herniated disc L5. It is mild compared to your situation. I have used a inversion table with great success and I also do the stretching as prescribed by my physical therapist. These two things help me maintain my strength and mobility. Good luck with your condition and don't let them beat you down.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom