• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The VA would be the second opinion, the first was a civilian ER. I just left the local VA clinic i have an appointment in a week and a half to see my primary so that i can get approval to see a ortho doc.
    ER physicians aren't neuro-surgeons. Though I'm suspicious of anyone who was to perform back surgery, I would go to a neurosurgeon before an Orthopedist (though an ortho who does lots of back surgery is probably pretty good). Good luck, stay active, avoid narcotics as much as possible, and take stool softeners. Hope you feel better soon.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    And hear I am complaining about my problems. Just really puts it into perspective

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

If that isn't the truth, then I don't know what it. There are a lot of things in life I whine about, but when you look back at the kind of things that have happened in West, Boston, or what RetArmySgt is going through........it kind of makes you wanna just STFU and be happy for what you do have and take for granted.

Prayers heading out for you RetArmySgt!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Get a second opinion. Have them forward the films/tests to another Orthopedic Surgeon that specializes spinal surgery.......Not one at the VA.....

Do some home work/research on the Surgeon's work and reputation....

I wish you well, I have had a discectomy and fusion and went from wanting to suck a cold blue steel barrel to being pain free and living a life equal to before the injury....

This. There are options available, and if you fix it now, it can at least STOP the nerve damage. Sometimes fixing a fucked up disc will take the pressure off the nerve and it will recover at least slightly.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    So after doing a bit of research I learned i can sue the VA. But it is almost impossible to do so since I basically have to get the Governments permission to take them to court. And once i do that it takes 6 months of waiting for a response from the VA to get it assigned to a judge. Also anything that happened more than 2 years prior to the day you go before the judge has passed the statue of limitation. The only good news with the process is that a lawyer cant charge for anything prior to the trail itself and is capped at 15% of the settlement.

So that means that all of the problems that have a been having for the last two years that they have been refusing to treat has passed the statue of limitations but if i can find a lawyer that can handle a case like this there is a very small chance that i might be able to do something about my back.

Anyone know any lawyers who have experience in federal tort law, specifically medical and even better if they have dealt with the VA.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So after doing a bit of research I learned i can sue the VA. But it is almost impossible to do so since I basically have to get the Governments permission to take them to court. And once i do that it takes 6 months of waiting for a response from the VA to get it assigned to a judge. Also anything that happened more than 2 years prior to the day you go before the judge has passed the statue of limitation. The only good news with the process is that a lawyer cant charge for anything prior to the trail itself and is capped at 15% of the settlement.

So that means that all of the problems that have a been having for the last two years that they have been refusing to treat has passed the statue of limitations but if i can find a lawyer that can handle a case like this there is a very small chance that i might be able to do something about my back.

Anyone know any lawyers who have experience in federal tort law, specifically medical and even better if they have dealt with the VA.

Send a message to TejanoScott.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Send a message to TejanoScott.

Haha... PM responded. Fwiw, my new job precludes me from being able to give legal advice to non-clients. I deal with the VA almost weekly, just in a different context. I suggest contacting OIG and/or an attorney who handles these types of claims. Since they limit reimbursement to 15% and there is probably no monetary recovery (only medical expense), finding an attorney probably won't be easy. That doesn't mean you shouldn't look. I've done lots of disability work in my past life and attorney fee statutes like that are what ran me(and countless others) out of the disability world. Who wants to sink their own money and time into a claim against the federal govt with the most likely remedy being treatment given at VA hospital or a possible bump in your disability rating. Find someone who specializes in this kind or work since they are either built to take that kind of abuse or have enough volume to make it worth their while.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wish you well, I have had a discectomy and fusion and went from wanting to suck a cold blue steel barrel to being pain free and living a life equal to before the injury....
    How long ago was that? From everything I've read, you want to put off surgery for as long as you can because it puts stress on the adjacent vertebra and doesn't take too long for them to fail, too.

I've got some back issues that cause near constant pain and occasional numbness in one of my legs. I hang upside down to do some stretches two or three times a week, plus do leg lifts and sit ups everyday. That doesn't "fix" anything, but it keeps it from getting worse and makes the pain not as bad.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Hey Sarg.. If you didn't make it can I have your boots brother.. ok serious, Just saw this, and like half of us know all about back stuff.. VA stuff to, but in my case they have been great to deal with (people, not the paper work) so how ya doing, and how bout an update. I try to NOT think about my own selfish issues like once every other day. caught me at a good time huh.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Haha... PM responded. Fwiw, my new job precludes me from being able to give legal advice to non-clients. I deal with the VA almost weekly, just in a different context. I suggest contacting OIG and/or an attorney who handles these types of claims. Since they limit reimbursement to 15% and there is probably no monetary recovery (only medical expense), finding an attorney probably won't be easy. That doesn't mean you shouldn't look. I've done lots of disability work in my past life and attorney fee statutes like that are what ran me(and countless others) out of the disability world. Who wants to sink their own money and time into a claim against the federal govt with the most likely remedy being treatment given at VA hospital or a possible bump in your disability rating. Find someone who specializes in this kind or work since they are either built to take that kind of abuse or have enough volume to make it worth their while.

The thing I've learned about lawyers: Even if they can't help you out, they'll usually know where to look, or who to call. ;)

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    waiting for three years for VA benny's for spouse.. all paper work is in order.. local reps tell us it's "money in the bank".. it will be extra per month, and of course a three year check.. I've thought about calling Sen McCain.. but afraid it would only make the issue worse..

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    How long ago was that? From everything I've read, you want to put off surgery for as long as you can because it puts stress on the adjacent vertebra and doesn't take too long for them to fail, too.

I've got some back issues that cause near constant pain and occasional numbness in one of my legs. I hang upside down to do some stretches two or three times a week, plus do leg lifts and sit ups everyday. That doesn't "fix" anything, but it keeps it from getting worse and makes the pain not as bad.

A little over 5 years now....ruptured C7....don't really know how or why, but the result of the injury was unbearable. Couldn't use/feel of my right arm. It was like someone poking a red hot poker into my upper back/lower neck......I did have a neurosurgeon and after I woke up from surgery, zero pain. Regained all feeling and use of the right arm after a couple of weeks. Haven't taken anything for pain since. I have a couple of old cars (Porsche 928 and 84 Corvette) and I have changed engines, transmissions and haven't slowed down since surgery working full time (Nurse).

Surgery is not the answer for everyone, and not everyone will have the great outcome I did.

I wish Sarge all the best.....I know dealing with the VA can be frustrating and suffering from pain while having to do so, doesn't help......

Top Bottom