• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I dont get this libertarian argument of the world being black and white where we have total freedom or are totally controlled. The actual (non-idealized) reality of our country's history isn't this libertarian "utopia".

Some things increase the stability and strength of country and others weaken it.
    Libertarians are a STRANGE group. I am one, been one most of my life, what is odd is that I identify with few of them. Took a long time to understand why: Many are way out liberals and use the justification of libertarianism to try and justify their views and in balance claim your views are ok too. I think the origin was a book that was "THE" book back in the 60's when I was in college: "I'm OK, Your OK".

My slice of libertarianism is no doubt a thin slice as I mostly want the govt out of my life. I see the whole LBGT thing as a I PERSONALLY do not care what you do in the privacy of your home, don't care who or what you marry as I am not one to judge you choice of a mate be it your bass boat or man, woman or plural. But I STRONGLY feel its the govt that is shoving this down our throats. I don't support it, don't want it and think its wrong, get the govt out of the marriage business and let us all chose our mates as we see fit...

Here is a pic of me and my FIRST LOVE and High School Sweetheart...looking back on it and my others loves and divorces over the years, I am sure she would have been a better mate if not a cheaper one....

View attachment 26674
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I dont get this libertarian argument of the world being black and white where we have total freedom or are totally controlled. The actual (non-idealized) reality of our country's history isn't this libertarian "utopia".

Some things increase the stability and strength of country and others weaken it.

You don't understand it because that is not what libertarianism is. Until you are willing to look at it honestly (not through the eyes of the media) and accept that people do things you don't like with out hurting you, you won't understand it.

Libertarians don't want a world without laws, and don't believe anything remotely close to "total freedom or total control".

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You don't understand it because that is not what libertarianism is. Until you are willing to look at it honestly (not through the eyes of the media) and accept that people do things you don't like with out hurting you, you won't understand it.

Libertarians don't want a world without laws, and don't believe anything remotely close to "total freedom or total control".

People do things I dont like? Yes. Yes they do. I do things I dont like. There is "food" in this world and there is "liquor".

Our government is actively encouraging people to do harmful things. Live harmful lifestyles. This does affect me. This idea that we can all just do what we want and just live in our own little bubbles isn't true. We all affect one another. We are all connected.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You're either for liberty or you aren't. I understand that it's scary to let the heathens run wild, but the truth is that it does no real harm. People probably aren't as bad as you think, and you'll feel a lot better if you stop projecting your fears onto others.

You can always ostricize people you don't like out of your community/family/circle of friends if you want but there's no reason (and also isn't really feasible) to control them in their own community/family/circle of friends. I do agree that the state has severely limited your personal ability to ostricize, but that is just one shining example of why laws against "bad behavior" don't work.

It's important to remember that people respond best to incentives, and the people in the state obviously have the incentive and the authority to incentivize (is that a word? lol) people to behave in certain ways. So, we do agree on that point... but I think you already hit the nail on the head as to the main source of this "ghayism" on TV. Homosexuals tend to not have kids for obvious reasons so they have more disposable income than someone raising a family. It's not a bad plan financially to tap into that market. Gay money is just as good as strait money.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately our government is now pushing our culture on a destructive path through both media and policy. It isn't neutral. It is picking winners and losers in the culture war.

Its not just media attacking families and faith now it is the government attacking both as well.

If the IRS targeting conservative groups isn't enough evidence for you I dont know what is.

Im not neutral on this and not apologizing. The "live and let live" view isn't reality. Some guy wants to sit around and shoot heroin his whole life that does and will affect everyone else.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Some guy wants to sit around and shoot heroin his whole life that does and will affect everyone else.
    Only in a statist society does it effect other people. If he wasn't able to be a functional addict or accept help that was offered to him then all his friends, family, and financial institutions would ostricize him. He'd wind up OD'ed in the wilderness feeding the coyotes. Unfortunately in today's society the state protects his self destructive behavior, drags out his downward spiral and forces everyone at gunpoint to pay for his bad behavior.

You're not mad at dysfunctional individuals... You're mad at the people who force you to support them.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Only in a statist society does it effect other people. If he wasn't able to be a functional addict or accept help that was offered to him then all his friends, family, and financial institutions would ostricize him. He'd wind up OD'ed in the wilderness feeding the coyotes. Unfortunately in today's society the state protects his self destructive behavior, drags out his downward spiral and forces everyone at gunpoint to pay for his bad behavior.

You're not mad at dysfunctional individuals... You're mad at the people who force you to support them.

Quoted for truth....

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    We're on the same page here, just some personal fill-ins.

and his druggie girlfriend's bad behavior, to include raising their kids, paying for her rehab & welfare, and paying for all the lawyers and courts to finally terminate their parental rights.

I think "dysfunctional" is too kind. These individuals are weak & selfish....non-contributors. I'm not pleased with these types or the politicians that force me to enable them.

Harsh? Perhaps. I do believe in compassion & philanthropy for the less fortunate, but government redistribution of wealth is neither.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Like others, I don't care what others do in the privacy of their homes. Let folks do whatever makes them happy as long as it doesn't harm others or infringe on their rights. However, I do resent others trying to shove their personal ideals down my throat. What we need is a couple of all LBGT TV channels and move all those types of programs away from regular family TV stations. That way I can just eliminate those from my channel list and never even have to flip past them.

ray55classic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    South of Houston
    I could care less if you eat SH#% and howl at the moon that's your business. What yanks my chain is anyone who says anything publically other than total blanket approval is socially shunned and their livelihood threatened. What happened to the 1st Amendment, you know the one about free speech?

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    Like others, I don't care what others do in the privacy of their homes. Let folks do whatever makes them happy as long as it doesn't harm others or infringe on their rights. However, I do resent others trying to shove their personal ideals down my throat. What we need is a couple of all LBGT TV channels and move all those types of programs away from regular family TV stations. That way I can just eliminate those from my channel list and never even have to flip past them.

And the call letters would be KFAG and KDYK :-) sorry, couldn't resist

ray55classic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    South of Houston
    What we need is a couple of all LBGT TV channels and move all those types of programs away from regular family TV stations. That way I can just eliminate those from my channel list and never even have to flip past them.

This is a solution I wholeheartedly approve of ! Children need a little time to grow up before exposing them to adult matters. They grow up too fast as it is.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I'm mad at both of them. What others do does affect all of us. We all pay for it in higher costs of everything. Every time you go to the store, you pay the price. When you pay a gazillion dollars for health insurance, you pay for it. When you pay a high price for some medical procedure, you pay the price. Destructive lifestyles cost everyone.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm mad at both of them. What others do does affect all of us. We all pay for it in higher costs of everything. Every time you go to the store, you pay the price. When you pay a gazillion dollars for health insurance, you pay for it. When you pay a high price for some medical procedure, you pay the price. Destructive lifestyles cost everyone.

Yes!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I can't believe we have a twenty page thread for the male version of Terry Rakolta.

Really... twenty pages of arguing about a guy who'd rather whine than flip the channel?

Top Bottom