• ...and so much more!
  • The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    So I just got confirmed on a spot down in Fredericksburg. 600 acres and 6 total guys. I am looking to setup one if not 2 feeders later this summer so I am looking for recommendations for feeders. Most of the stuff I have reviewed online all have so so reviews and none of them seem to have stellar records.

Also looking for recommendations on stands. My preference is a ladder type stand that attaches to the tree. I am a heavy dude, 300lbs and shrinking, so I just want to feel comfortable that I am supported.

Can't wait to start off with some Dove hunting in September!
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have used everything from photo cell to advanced timer type timers and find I always come back to the cheap photo cell type. I always build mine from a 55 gallon drum. If you will be away most of the time add a solar charger. The photo cell automatically adjust asit gets dark earlier and later so you don't have to re-adjust it as the year progresses. You can make the legs pretty easy. I would definatly go with a 55 gallon drum, holds 350 lbs of corn IIRC so you won't have to refill very often.

Not much help on tree stands.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Personally, I always built my own stands - steel frame, 8-15' off the ground, 6' x 6' box so I had plenty of room to move around in......

Feeders - built my own, bought a funnel, stuck it in a 55-gal drum, cut the base and welded on leg brackets.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    First off, congrats on the lease!
    Second, I can't really help on the stand. (not much out west to climb or lean on)
    Feeders. Get something that isn't a major hassle to re-fill. Like you said, most of 'em aint gonna last over 3 to 4 years so go for function.
    Getting the throw set to suit you is trial and error. You'll likely find it empty more often than not and if filling is a hassle you aint gonna like the feeder.
    My two cents.
    Good luck!

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Personally, I always built my own stands - steel frame, 8-15' off the ground, 6' x 6' box so I had plenty of room to move around in......

Feeders - built my own, bought a funnel, stuck it in a 55-gal drum, cut the base and welded on leg brackets.

Yeah, I don't really have the resources to do that unless I was to buy a welder, and then have to start buying my own steel, and then learn how to weld...haha

Did you build the ladder with yours or did you use a wood ladder?

On the feeder I was thinking of buying one of the type that hangs and building a stand to hang it from out of 4x4s and a cross piece of some sort. Biggest issue I see with the feeder is that with the place being 4 hours away I don't want to have to be driving down to the lease every 2 weeks to fill the feeder. I will have to check with the guy who runs the lease and see if its even really needed down there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    useing a 55 gallon drum the corn should last a while with a timer, I set mine to the minimum time through the spring and most of the summer, refill in the fall and increase run time. Depending on vegetation types around the area you hunt you may want to mix in some crushed acorns in the fall. If the area isn't too dry you could also plant some oats in the area after it starts cooling off.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Unless you run the feeder stupid-long each cycle, you should only have to refill it once during the season (after filling it just before the opening). Look around for a feeder that has a crank on it - tripod rigging that holds everything, and the crank allows you to raise and lower the barrel. What I did was to make mine where the top of the barrel was about 7-8 foot above ground. I could back the truck up to it, lower the tailgate and easily reach the top of the barrel to refill without worrying about a ladder, etc. You're gonna be out there by yourself - think things through about taking risks.

I just built the ladder with angle iron and tubular steel. I already own torches, plasma cutters, mig welders, chop saws, etc - so building it outta steel just made sense.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    HCR - Honey Creek Ranch makes some of the best feeders around. I know of some that have been running for years with only the batteries in the timer needing to be replaced. The new varmint resistant spinner is da bomb. You pay for them, but they make up for the expense in trouble free operation.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    HCR - Honey Creek Ranch makes some of the best feeders around. I know of some that have been running for years with only the batteries in the timer needing to be replaced. The new varmint resistant spinner is da bomb. You pay for them, but they make up for the expense in trouble free operation.

Great point, you need some kind of cage around the timer or coons will drain it pretty quick.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch

So something like this looks interesting. They way I read this presentation though its not automatically a spin type feeder, but rather a feeder where the deer walk up and eat directly from the feeder. I assume they just find their way to the food in this case since its not being slung out on the ground?

Cabela's: Boss Buck 350 lbs. Protein Feeder

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    So something like this looks interesting. They way I read this presentation though its not automatically a spin type feeder, but rather a feeder where the deer walk up and eat directly from the feeder. I assume they just find their way to the food in this case since its not being slung out on the ground?

Cabela's: Boss Buck 350 lbs. Protein Feeder

That's set up specifically for protein, not corn...unless you get the additonal kit to convert it.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    That's set up specifically for protein, not corn...unless you get the additonal kit to convert it.

Right on, I noticed that. Is there a better strategy on feeding protein vs corn? I am new to the game on this side of things, I haven't had to do any sort of game management in the past, just hunted, so all ears to the advice on what works/doesnt down here!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Using Max Rax. Great stuff that grows some big ass horns. but the prime time for feeding is Feb to June for optimal growth. I would feed corn and maybe alfalfa pellets this year.

Then next year, switch to Max Rax.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Is there a better strategy on feeding protein vs corn?

The need to use protein depends a lot on what natural food is available to the deer. Honestly, for your first year on the lease, I'd stick to corn (corn is a lot cheaper too). It doesn't offer the deer much in the way of development, but it will bait them in and allow you to see the quality of deer there. If you and the others decide to start really managing the bucks and wanting to grow bigger antlers, then you can figure out a protein schedule/regimen. Also consider that if the lease is not high-fenced, you're spending money on developing deer that might get taken by neighboring hunters. I hunt a low-fenced ranch in S. Texas, and we only protein heavily when droughts knock out the natural stuff.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    The need to use protein depends a lot on what natural food is available to the deer. Honestly, for your first year on the lease, I'd stick to corn (corn is a lot cheaper too). It doesn't offer the deer much in the way of development, but it will bait them in and allow you to see the quality of deer there. If you and the others decide to start really managing the bucks and wanting to grow bigger antlers, then you can figure out a protein schedule/regimen. Also consider that if the lease is not high-fenced, you're spending money on developing deer that might get taken by neighboring hunters. I hunt a low-fenced ranch in S. Texas, and we only protein heavily when droughts knock out the natural stuff.

Its not fenced, so I get that the deer being fed may wander or get taken by other hunters. I guess the main purpose for me would be to get them attracted to the stand/area I will be hunting in on the lease..

Top Bottom