• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Yes. I think it has to be out of arms reach but I'm not sure. TXI will be around to straighten this question out.

I carry a newer style KaBar under the back seat of truck, never know when you need a good knife.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Retracted, don't feel like being corrected later.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I always have just cause its good to have. Now I have two guys barking at me about how its absolutely illegal. I figure someone on here will know for sure.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I think the law is a bit "gray" in this area. If you're on your way to go fishing or hunting, it won't be an issue. Outside of that, it's likely an illegal weapon while off your property.
    I too am interested in TxI's reading of this.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I think the law is a bit "gray" in this area. If you're on your way to go fishing or hunting, it won't be an issue. Outside of that, it's likely an illegal weapon while off your property.
    I too am interested in TxI's reading of this.

You know he is. Probably sitting at his computer in his whitey tighties shirtless with a bag of Cheetos laughing his ass off at all of us who are beneath him.

I'm just kidding TXI please don't hurt me.

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    You know he is. Probably sitting at his computer in his whitey tighties shirtless with a bag of Cheetos laughing his ass off at all of us who are beneath him.

I'm just kidding TXI please don't hurt me.

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

Kinda how I pictured the guy anyway just kidding TXI lol!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Read and decide for yourself..

Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

OK, I cheated, I highlighted the applicable part! :D

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Charlie

Basically, either in your vehicle or going directly to or from it from your own premises or premises under your control.

I wonder if you buy an "illegal" knife at a gun show if that gives you the right to take it to your vehicle. I suspect it would but I don't know if that's in the Penal Code.

But your vehicle is pretty much considered the same as your "domain," there's nothing that says said knife cannot be on your person as long as you're in it (much like your home).

Cheers! M2

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Don't wear tighties. I wear boxer briefs. Never eat Cheetoes.

As to the question, as post number 11 shows, it is not illegal to have an illegal knife in your motor vehicle. If a Kbar is an illegal knife, then there ya go.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Charlie

Basically, either in your vehicle or going directly to or from it from your own premises or premises under your control.

I wonder if you buy an "illegal" knife at a gun show if that gives you the right to take it to your vehicle. I suspect it would but I don't know if that's in the Penal Code.

But your vehicle is pretty much considered the same as your "domain," there's nothing that says said knife cannot be on your person as long as you're in it (much like your home).

Cheers! M2

Got it now! Thanks

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Texas cops generally don't want to harass the general public: They focus on "indicators" which is another term for correctly profiling likely offenders like speeders, drunk drivers, gang bangers, drug traffickers, and hoodlums.

You got tattoos, speakers set at 115 decibels, fancy rims on a beater blowing lots of smoke, a loud muffler and a K-Bar? Question answered.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Read and decide for yourself..

Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

OK, I cheated, I highlighted the applicable part!

Cheers! M2

Don't wear tighties. I wear boxer briefs. Never eat Cheetoes.

As to the question, as post number 11 shows, it is not illegal to have an illegal knife in your motor vehicle. If a Kbar is an illegal knife, then there ya go.

Cool. I've just been a bit on edge about edged weapons (pun not intended) ever since Matefrio had that whole thing go down. I really have! It scared the piss out of me. I measured my pocketknife and everything, even though I already knew it wasn't six inches.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom