• ...and so much more!
  • digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    The original Taylor county courthouse (in Buffalo Gap) has a large open stairwell up thru the second floor where the court room located. There is also a holding cell on that floor as well. A trap door is located to the roof over that stairwell. When convicted they dropped a rope thru that trap...walked you out of the court room, slipped the rope on and tossed you into that stairwell. No delays.
    BTW when the stones were set each had a half hemisphere carved in which a surplus cannon ball was set as a key between two stones....so if someone was real industrious scrapping the mortar away would not allow a stone to be removed.
    Big Country trivia.....
    Texas SOT

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I'm looking at it from the deterrent factor. Libs can say what they want but if seeing some one hanged and shitting their pants prevents ONE future murder it would be worth it. Televise executions on Ol' Sparky, fine with me. Most folks have never seen a person die under each of those circumstances and might, JUST MIGHT, think about what could happen to them if they do the crime.

There are far too many criminals sitting on death row where there is NO obvious doubt about their guilt. Mentally not unable to understand the consequences of their action. DUH, so what if they do it again. Not someone you want for a neighbor.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    digger,

When the OLD COUNTY JAIL in Titus County was built in 1916-17, the "latest & most modern gallows made" was installed between the 2nd & 3rd floors.
    The condemned person was to be walked out onto the stairwell on the 3rd floor, hooded, the noose placed around the prisoner's neck & then he/she would be dropped through the trap between the 2nd & 3rd floor. - "The "most modern of gallows" even included a door, that opened into a storage area on the 2nd floor, for preparing the body for removal & disposal.
    (According to the TITUS COUNTY TRIBUNE, in 1986, nobody was ever hanged there, as the last person, Melvin Johnson, who was scheduled to be hanged in the county was one of 5 inmates executed by electric chair at Huntsville, on 08FEB1924.)

yours, satx

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    I hate to be callous...but all this makes me think of is the HPD debauchery that led to the death of the Tuttles last year. I once believed in the justice system, but my faith has greatly dwindled when I try to imagine that we as citizens are all treated equally in the system.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yes, consider that an assault on a "public servant" can result in a sentence double that of one for assault on an ordinary citizen. I was once called to jury duty because a young man accidentally struck a school teacher and he was charged with assault and this was explained, He was being assaulted by others and fighting back when the teacher stepped in and got struck. Hell, a guy filling pot holes in the street is a public servant by that standard. Can they be execute twice, and will it take twice as long??

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I hate to be callous...but all this makes me think of is the HPD debauchery that led to the death of the Tuttles last year. I once believed in the justice system, but my faith has greatly dwindled when I try to imagine that we as citizens are all treated equally in the system.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Richardson cop situation:
    A drug deal went bad. Drug buyer shot drug seller (or vice versa).
    Neighbor called cops about the gun shot.
    Cop goes and investigates.
    Druggie shoots cop.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    seeker_two,

I've never heard of anyone surviving a proper hanging either. = In a professional hanging, the neck is broken and/or the spinal cord is severed.

Either possibility causes immediate death in 99.99% of cases.
    (Btw, in 1934, a condemned murderer in Germany survived "a date with Madame Le Guillotine", when the machine malfunctioned.)

NO lawful manner of execution is 100% reliable.

yours, satx

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes, consider that an assault on a "public servant" can result in a sentence double that of one for assault on an ordinary citizen. I was once called to jury duty because a young man accidentally struck a school teacher and he was charged with assault and this was explained, He was being assaulted by others and fighting back when the teacher stepped in and got struck. Hell, a guy filling pot holes in the street is a public servant by that standard. Can they be execute twice, and will it take twice as long??
    Actually "Public Servant" is defined, and assaulting one does not double the penalty, it increases it to the next higher penalty level.

There are many categories that can increase penalties above assault on others, include assaults against Sports Participants.

Texas Penal Code

(41) "Public servant" means a person elected, selected, appointed, employed, or otherwise designated as one of the following, even if he has not yet qualified for office or assumed his duties:

(A) an officer, employee, or agent of government;

(B) a juror or grand juror; or

(C) an arbitrator, referee, or other person who is authorized by law or private written agreement to hear or determine a cause or controversy; or

(D) an attorney at law or notary public when participating in the performance of a governmental function; or

(E) a candidate for nomination or election to public office; or

(F) a person who is performing a governmental function under a claim of right although he is not legally qualified to do so

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It might when he stands before God to be judged with a big load in his pants

Frank59,

In the UNLIKELY event that ANYBODY arrives at the Pearly gates wearing clothes, a LOT of people will have soiled shorts, as essentially all trauma victims do evacuate their bowels shortly after death.

In the case of the murdering filth that get executed, they may be directly headed to a MUCH HOTTER place.

yours, satx

phoenix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    I was hoping they would make it a federal crime, but i would guarantee democrats would try to block it and all it racist? Last I checked whatever color the thug and cop are is not an issue but you are not supposed to go around killing people or cops. How is it some people do not understand that?

phoenix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    Liberals will never let us. I hope that law goes into effect that lets people sue if they are victims because of a sanctuary city

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    there are plenty of videos online from near/middle east countries that you can watch if you are so inclined.........hanging is not a pleasant death

Mohawk600,

Fyi, according to the last active British Master Hangman, Albert Pierrepoint (1905-1992) in his autobiography, the time from the second that the trap is sprung until death is almost always instantaneous and may be as much as a maximum of 10 seconds, "during which time the prisoner is unconscious & feels no pain".
    (Pierrepoint executed at least 17 women & 435 men, according to THE TIMES OF LONDON. According to THE IRISH TIMES, Record Book of Executions for War Crimes During the Late War & the archives of the BBC, Pierrepoint may have actually hanged over 20 women & 600 men in 11 nations during his career.)

Otoh, hanging by inexperienced/incompetent/cruel persons MAY be inhumane & take up to a half-hour for the criminal to expire, by "choking to death".
    (For example, Perry Smith, one of the pair of coldblooded murderers of the Herman Clutter family of KS, whose death is written about in Truman Capote's book IN COLD BLOOD, choked to death after 18 minutes.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom