• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    NO lawful manner of execution is 100% reliable.

Maybe, but with a guillotine you don't have to worry about the weight of the person and the length of your rope, or the placement of your shots, or the mixture of your drugs, or whatever the hell they had to get right with Ol' Sparky (the wet sponge?). A guillotine is pretty idiot proof as long as it's at least somewhat maintained. Even an unclean execution is probably going to break the neck if not sever an artery.
    DK Firearms

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Maverick44,

I have a few "problems" with the guillotine:
    1. MAKES a big/BLOODY mess that has to be cleaned up by somebody.
    2. CAN fail to kill with an inexperienced headsman and/or with poor upkeep
    AND
    3. WAY too French for my taste.
    (I'm not overly fond of frogs, having had to work with them OCONUS.)

just my opinion, satx

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    With all the fentanyl that's sitting in evidence lockers executing convicted felons isn't a problem.

Just insert a IV then inject 100mg of fentanyl into the IV stream. Lights out.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheMailMan,

FYI, each & every time that the drug(s) used in Lethal Injection is changed for various reasons it causes a long & needless round of court actions as to whether the chemicals are (NO JOKE), "Safe & effective for the intended purpose".
    (In this case "safe & effective" is utterly SILLY, as if the chemical(s) kills the condemned convict, it is OBVIOUSLY effective.)

Btw, there (in addition to fentanyl) are literally many POUNDS of "uncut" heroin in police custody here in Texas & if other lethal drugs are unavailable, TDC should administer an overdose of heroin.
    (IF society insists on "the needle" as the only method of execution, it is well-known that a massive overdose of heroin will ALWAYS kill.)

Nonetheless, I would still prefer a quick/clean/professional hanging, in the county seat where the crime was committed, to other available methods.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Maverick44,

FWIW, the MAIN reason that the electric chair was "retired" was NOT because it was "inhumane" but rather because there are any number of problems that can & DO happen in death by electrocution.

AL, GA, LA & OK have had "executions" that "went wrong" & the inmate survived for several minutes after the switch was thrown. = In one case, the convict's right leg was BLOWN OFF at the knee & the inmate actually bled to death from a severed femoral artery about 10 minutes AFTER he was supposedly "lawfully executed".
    (As far as I know, TDC never had any significant problem with Old Sparky, if only because that prison-made electric chair's system was electrically simple, when compared to other State's "commercially-built" systems.)

yours, satx

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I at one time I was a firm believer in the death sentence and I still am for those cases that are undeniably guilty. With dna testing though so many people have been released years later that I have changed my thinking. In those cases that are circumstantial I would not impose the death penalty. None of us wants an innocent person to be put to death by the state.
    Using fentanyl for executions, pretty much that is not done because the fda has not approved it for that purpose. Silly as that sounds. The other issue is that when the death penalty is carried out I see no reason to make it humane. Firing squad, hanging, chop their heads off, electrocute them. Humane is when I put one of my pets down, not for an execution. Just my thoughts.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    rotor,

Despite what the mass media & the "anti-death penalty advocates" keeps ranting on & on about VERY FEW persons who were sentenced to death were ever so sentenced.
    The so-called INNOCENCE PROJECT spokesman was recently asked on PBS-TV if he knew of any executed inmates who he believed were ACTUALLY innocent of the murders that thye were punished for committing. - After a lot "of stuttering & stammering" & "trying to avoid the question", he said "maybe 2-3 men".
    FYI, juries do NOT like ANY circumstantial cases & frequently find persons, which the mass of scientific evidence show to be GUILTY beyond reasonable doubt, are nonetheless found NOT GUILTY or convicted of a "lesser included charge"..
    (Fwiw, I once was, in a very minor way, involved in a murder case where the jury found the defendant guilty of "attempted manslaughter". - This made NO sense to me at all, as the victim DIED early on the morning after the attack of his 4 knife wounds to the chest & one to his throat.)

The US Courts will NOT allow an "inhumane" or "cruel or unusual" punishment, as the US Constitution forbids such inhumane methods of execution, so your/my opinion on that matter is MOOT.

yours, satx

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    rotor,

Despite what the mass media & the "anti-death penalty advocates" keeps ranting on & on about VERY FEW persons who were sentenced to death were ever so sentenced.
    The so-called INNOCENCE PROJECT spokesman was recently asked on PBS-TV if he knew of any executed inmates who he believed were ACTUALLY innocent of the murders that thye were punished for committing. - After a lot "of stuttering & stammering" & "trying to avoid the question", he said "maybe 2-3 men".
    FYI, juries do NOT like ANY circumstantial cases & frequently find persons, which the mass of scientific evidence show to be GUILTY beyond reasonable doubt, are nonetheless found NOT GUILTY or convicted of a "lesser included charge"..
    (Fwiw, I once was, in a very minor way, involved in a murder case where the jury found the defendant guilty of "attempted manslaughter". - This made NO sense to me at all, as the victim DIED early on the morning after the attack of his 4 knife wounds to the chest & one to his throat.)

The US Courts will NOT allow an "inhumane" or "cruel or unusual" punishment, as the US Constitution forbids such inhumane methods of execution, so your/my opinion on that matter is MOOT.

yours, satx
    Interesting. I wonder how the courts know what inhumane is? Hanging, firing squad, etc. pretty fast. Guillotine really fast. Lethal injection really fast if done right but the courts are the ones that have made that impossible because the meds are not approved for executions. May not be safe. I think head chopping is possible the fastest, least painful and very symbolic method. Since this is a firearms site I will go for firing squad.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    rotor,

I have, fwiw, NO problem with the firing squad, as used in some western states that have large LDS populations.
    (In point of fact, IF the condemned inmate has a religious objection to any method of execution that does NOT include "shedding of blood", I believe that the firing squad SHOULD be allowed as a lawful alternative to other forms.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    roror,

Fwiw, one of my old boarding school chums was born/raised/educated until 9th grade in Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia.
    (His late father was an engineer with ARAMCO.)

Ronnie G_________ said that the major reason that beheading with a sword is required by Saudi law is that it is QUICK, PAINLESS & "in consonance with" Muslim religious beliefs/traditions.
    (Ronnie has witnessed any number of beheadings in SA. = He has NO problem with it, provided that the swordsman is skilled.)

yours, satx

phoenix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    there are plenty of videos online from near/middle east countries that you can watch if you are so inclined.........hanging is not a pleasant death

It was long considered a traitors death where being shot was considered a gentleman's death. During the numemberg trails Some ( france, britain and the usa) discussed a firing squad for the military members convicted of war crimes. Of course the russians were the ones who ( only because of the usa) were on the winning side and insisted on hanging.

Top Bottom