• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PigFloyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Bulverde
    I practice wing chun, combat hapkido, American street karate, and koryo gumdo for a reason and I think other people should as well.

Just curious.... Where do you train? I also live around San Antonio and am 5'8" and 165, and I'd love to learn some good standing unarmed technique.
    DK Firearms

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    You can take a knife anywhere witch is more than you can say for a handgun. A trained person with a knife is not a person you want to mess with even if you have a gun. As far as a knife being slow I can get mine out in my hand in less than a second. Last but not least why limit yourself to just one defensive tool.

Try to take one on a commercial airline and let us know what happens. We could before 9/11.

Don't carry an under or over 5.5" lockblade folder in San Antonio. One that's EXACTLY 5.5 " would make for an interesting court case.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's not about the dog in the fight. It's about the fight in the dog.

I've been a street fighter all of my life and have a maxed bag of tricks....all nasty, bone breaking and not one is based on being a gentleman. Duty, honor and all of that goes out the window at 2am in the dark with street clothes on, out numbered and scared spitless. I saw martial arts as being trained how to dance. You've got to be ready to gouge eyes, tear a mans face off and use bricks, rocks or anything available to kill, maim or incapacitate your foe.

Now I'm old and can't get out of my own way. Speed is gone, I can't run and age has taken my balance. I see now that my approach was wrong. I should spend as much time learning to avoid physical conflict as I prepare to engage in it.

Now, I'll apologize, try to make amends, walk away, get hard of hearing (words are just air, right?) and do anything I can to get away. If all that fails, I'll shoot the bastards. It gets real simple when you're old!

Flash

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Get some of Marc "Animal" MacYoung's books on knife fighting and read them with your friends. Get a wooden knife, run red lipstick up and down the edges of the "Blade," and practice with your buddies. No better training can be had.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    San Antonio's City Council sucks! They have a law against locking blade knifes. I would never conside a knife for self defense because they suck! I carry a knife because they are the single most used tools that I own.
    Defending youself with a knife is a mistake. Learn how to break someone in half, you'll be better off.

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    Basically if you arent Paul Vunak or willing to put nearly your whole life towards the study of knife techniques you can be sure of two things

1.you will get cut.
    2.you will for sure get cut.

I trained for 10yrs in Jun Ki Kwan Hapkido and to this day ive never done a knife combat drill without getting at least one good hit
    best advice you and a buddy get some washable markers and go to town strike evade defend as best you can then look at yourselves odds are you will look like a toddler at play time

the best defensive edge we have against our attackers is that we in this forum use quality knives and tools chances that an attacker will have a razor sharp blade equal to what you have are slim but still possible.

my instructor always told me if you plan on fighting a knife you will get cut and if you plan on disarming a gun plan on getting shot

lastly everything works in theory and in the right conditions be it techniques from a book instructor or video

learn what you can practice practice practice then hope you never have to use any of the skills

jimmytheshank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    Not trying to be ugly, but knife fighting in San Antonio is a quick way to die.
    One, your opponent always comes in greater numbers.
    Two, they WILL have guns.
    Three, they dont fight fair.
    I grew up on the Eastside and for a few years, on the Southside of San Antonio in the Wheatley Court and Mission Rd. area.
    So believe me, I know what I'm saying.
    I'm a Firefighter and Paramedic, and I've seen what happens at the end of a knife/gun fight.
    Had two kids killed right in front of my house when they had a fight during a party at the house across the street.
    When I retire from the Dept., I'm retiring to Kerrville in the Texas Hill Country.

Best defence as Mr. Miyagi said " Don't be there".

Makes sense to me.

pcmolter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    It takes a cop 10 seconds to aim a gun, some with a knife out can kill in that time

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Hey All,

I have over 30 years experience in empty hand, blunt weapons, pointed/edged weapons and firearms. Just wanted to throw out a few ideas/concepts.

1) Regardless of your chosen doctrine the other guy gets a vote.
    2) Teaching methods are as important, or more important, then techniques.
    3) More training is better for self defense, it either confirms your tactics/strategy or you discover gaps.
    4) The most important thing in a violent confrontation is the ability to process information under duress.
    5) If you are not pressure testing what you claim against aggressive, armed opposition you are LARPing.

This is a stick match from last year in Houston. HSFA has a TON of matches online to watch. They are a pretty low intensity group but it gets the idea across.

This is sport/fun. Even still it helps build attributes that can be used in any violent situation. Note how when the fight went to the ground my primary objectives were monitoring the hands, assessing my surroundings, etc. This comes from the MENTALITY of training against people with weapons.

Last edited:

pcmolter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    What do you have to bet with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I might be wrong on the time frame, but a cop with a holstered weapon is vulnerable to a knife attack, within a short distance of an attacker I wanna say 15 to 20 feet. Not to say the attacker won't get shot, but the police officer is at risk as well.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    I might be wrong on the time frame, but a cop with a holstered weapon is vulnerable to a knife attack, within a short distance of an attacker I wanna say 15 to 20 feet. Not to say the attacker won't get shot, but the police officer is at risk as well.

I'm guessing you may have the article by (then) Sgt Dennis Tuller in mind -- "How Close is Too Close?" Tueller experimented and came to the conclusion that the bad guy with a knife could cross about 21' in about 1.5 seconds. The "Tueller Drill" arose from those experiments, and there are lots and lots of pro- and not-so-pro observations and "rules" that spun out.

See also https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/the-tueller-drill-revisited

Fun fact: last time I ran across Dennis, he was teaching a GLOCK Armorer's class that my son and I were in.

pcmolter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    The bottom line is if one is not prepared to use a knife, than it's not useful. In my krav training we where taught how to defend against several knife attacks but there is only one method for a pistol and a rifle.

Top Bottom