• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Does anyone else feel guilty/confused/uncomfortable/stupid for spending as much or more for a knife than a gun?

I am a bonified gun addict as well as a knife addict. Sometimes worlds collide after spending $300,400, and too embarrassed to tell the most I've spent for a knife.

Afterwards, I face palm and think, I could have had this pistol or rifle!
    But then I coonfinger the cool knife and admire it's awesomeness.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    People pay thousands for a postage stamp that they dare not EVER touch, let alone coonfinger. Whatever floats yer boat. I'll bet you're gonna be droppin' a few bucks come Sept, now that your choices are expanding. Pics and a full report.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Interesting. I've got some high-dollar knives, but primarily admire them for their craftsmanship. To me, they are works of art. I wouldn't put any of my firearms in that category, but I've been around enough high-end English, Spanish & Italian double barrel shotguns to appreciate the similar labor of love that went into creating them. The only thing I feel similarly about are things made out of wood. Pull up a few pics of lapstrake canoes or kayaks and you'll see what I mean.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Depends on what you want it for. Before I gave up everything to start over again, I had some beautiful hand made and Damascus steel knives. Most everyone would drool over them, and they were great for show. Would I take them camping? No! On the other hand if you're filthy rich it may be no big thing. Same goes for guns. Do what makes you happy, at the time I was happy to own them, now I don't need them. Although, I did win a hand made knife at a gun show, and I do like it, I just don't hold it in quite as high esteem as I once did.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Interesting. I've got some high-dollar knives, but primarily admire them for their craftsmanship. To me, they are works of art. I wouldn't put any of my firearms in that category, but I've been around enough high-end English, Spanish & Italian double barrel shotguns to appreciate the similar labor of love that went into creating them. The only thing I feel similarly about are things made out of wood. Pull up a few pics of lapstrake canoes or kayaks and you'll see what I mean.
    I have both high end firearms and high end knives. All are tools.
    I have a Busse limited edition 30th anniversary NMFBM that I decapitate deer and pigs with( faster than a saw)and use to cut branches for ground blinds.
    Yeah, they are cool to look at, but looking at the faces of the guys in my hunting club when I peeled the ribs off a deer with one swipe or sent the head rolling off the concrete cleaning station pad with a single swing is far cooler than admiring the steel.;)

I should make a video of that and post it where the blade nerds will see it and have a meltdown.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Being a poor old man who likes guns and knives, I'd never pay more for a knife than a gun. I have some nice knives, gifts and inherited but I use a knife as more of an everyday tool than an investment, etc. Just my two bits.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    My Grand Pa always said no watermelon was worth more than 2 bits. And his 2 bit watermelons were often sliced with knives that were so valued that they were left at the fish camp for anyone to use. I see art in the craftsman ship of blades and guns, but they are both just tools.
    Of course my Grand Pa also believed that setting watermelons under the China berry tree until after supper was cooling them down.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    The only way to get your money back from a $500 knife, is like with a $1000 bird dog. To recoup, you'd have to trade it for 2 ea $500 cats.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Until now I couldn't say when the last time I heard someone say two bits. Had to open up the cobwebbed door in my brain to remember.

TXSWFAN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Collecting firearms is cheaper than collecting custom knives.

This Loveless 3 3/4" guthook can be yours for only $7800.
    IMG_1932.JPG

Maybe you'd rather have his classic Chute knife? It's only $11.5k. These are some of his cheaper ones. Some are six figures.
    IMG_1933.JPG

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a Busse limited edition 30th anniversary NMFBM that I decapitate deer and pigs with( faster than a saw)and use to cut branches for ground blinds.
    Yeah, they are cool to look at, but looking at the faces of the guys in my hunting club when I peeled the ribs off a deer with one swipe or sent the head rolling off the concrete cleaning station pad with a single swing is far cooler than admiring the steel.;)

I should make a video of that and post it where the blade nerds will see it and have a meltdown.
    I have a hard time believing a $500 knife is really 5x better than a $100 knife. You should let me try that NMFBM out sometime to convince me ;)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I'm a sucker for a nice knife.

BUT I'm a user, not a museum piece buyer. (Too poor)

Basically the most I'll pay for something I'm going to beat to hell is 300 - 400 bucks.

Does it make a difference between a custom edc and a off the academy shelf kershaw?

Yes.

Is it 5 times better probably not. But they sure are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    As I said, it all depends on what makes you happy or what you want it for. Personally I don't like a cheap knife, but I also don't need one that will break the bank.

Top Bottom