Fort Worth
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417787063.340969.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    IF this guy had really wanted to hurt anyone, imagine him outside the UT football stadium by the art school or the hill.... Sadly, this guy was not right, but he also didnt want to hurt anyone, and he was expecting the cops to kill him. Fact- he had let me die written on his chest, and his funeral clothes laid out at home...
    Not to mention 2 blocks over was 6th street. He could have really cleaned house there.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    Let's see... extremist views, enthusiastic about guns...a woman at my kids' school was wearing a Moms Demand Action shirt. She's someone the police should definitely keep an eye on. I think I'll drop a dime on her.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I think it's about time Chief Avocado (or however the hell his name is spelled) was vetted. He obviously holds extremist views and is not serving the public trust.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    "If you somebody that's acting with a lot of hatred toward any particular group, especially if you know it's somebody that's a gun enthusiast, or armed with these type of firearms; and they're showing any type of propensity for hatred, it doesn't mean that we're going to take them to jail, but we might want to vet these people."

That is a completely reasonable statement. To suggest Acevedo said "Turn in all gun owners to the police" is to completely prostitute his words.

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    So everyone that lives inside Austin City Limits should be sending letters and emails, and making phone calls to all the members of the city council, the mayor, TV stations, and newspapers demanding his ouster. He needs to go immediately. Just for the fact that he's so willing to invade people's freedom and privacy like this.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    "If you somebody that's acting with a lot of hatred toward any particular group, especially if you know it's somebody that's a gun enthusiast, or armed with these type of firearms; and they're showing any type of propensity for hatred, it doesn't mean that we're going to take them to jail, but we might want to vet these people."

That is a completely reasonable statement. To suggest Acevedo said "Turn in all gun owners to the police" is to completely prostitute his words.

I read what you read and I don't find reporting someone in for owning a gun and "showing
    any type of propensity for hatred" is completely reasonable at all.
    Who is deciding what "hate" is?

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    We (gun owners generally) spent a lot of time after Sandy Hook opining about mental instability and reporting of potential problems prior to mass shootouts occurring. To now take the stance that it is unreasonable to let authorities know your neighbor who always talks about how much he hates white irish folks and spends late nights running around his back yard wearing a plate carrier and rifle, is to fight the wrong fight.

I am all about the rights of responsible citizens to own firearms. Don't misunderstand that. However, I think Acevedo's plea, in this context, is not too much to ask.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    And what if my wife and daughter were raped by a particular group? I no longsr have the right to hate or despise them? What races are allowed to hate? Anyone that shows anger needs to be vetted? For what? Mass court judgements on mental disorders? Is being angry now a crime? Who is going to vet them? And then do what?

Sorry Sir, but since you are angry your daughter was raped, we are going to confiscate all your means to defend her or anyone else in the future.
    For safety's sake. We are sure you understand.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

WCDUB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    Days after Larry McQuilliams shot-up buildings in Austin, Texas, Police Chief Art Acevedo warned the Austin community to turn into the police friends and neighbors who harbor “extreme” views and who are “gun enthusiasts.”

Acevedo discussed the recent shooting and claimed that what keeps him up at night is the prospect of “homegrown” terrorists like McQuilliams who harbor anger and have access to firearms.
    “And that’s why it’s important for us as Americans to know our neighbors, know our families- tell somebody. If you know somebody that is acting with a lot of hatred towards any particular group- especially if it’s somebody you know is a gun enthusiast or is armed with these type of firearms and they’re showing any kind of propensity for hatred- it doesn’t mean we’re going to take them to jail, but we might want to vet these people.”
    Everybody wants to help stop violence and mass killings, but what Acevedo demonstrates is a shocking and anti-American sentiment: Our civil rights are not to blame for violence and we should not feel compelled to inform on our neighbors like a modern day Stasi.

What Acevedo highlights as suspicious behavior is carefully tailored to target those who enjoy their Second Amendment rights. Many patriots are justifiably angry about the direction our nation is heading; many of these same patriots arm themselves with a variety of weapons (as is their right). These beliefs and actions should not subject them to enhanced scrutiny from the authorities or from friends and family and any such assertion by a law enforcement agent is both insulting and opposed to our rights as Americans.

Police Chief: If You Know Gun Enthusiasts, Turn them In; Police Need to ?Vet? Them

That is the big problem with Acevedo's thinking. He always goes too far.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Sorry Sir, but since you are angry your daughter was raped, we are going to confiscate all your means to defend her or anyone else in the future.

Reducing any argument to absurdity will lead to proving its falsity. You and I both know we're not talking about "hatred towards rapists."

We already have a vetting process. They are just too freakin lazy and stupid to use it right.

Can you unpack that a little bit (not kicking you—I am being sincere).

Top Bottom