• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Don't try to tell WW2 or Korea vets that you don't put a clip in a 1911 or a Thompson. Gen. George S. Patton also referred to them as clips. But what did he know?

I never understood the elitism some have on this terminology.
    Did you see my argument for a need for precise terminology in the age of the public easily conflating semi and full auto? It’s a solid argument.
    Hurley's Gold

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Did you see my argument for a need for precise terminology in the age of the public easily conflating semi and full auto? It’s a solid argument.

In this world, proper (precise) terminology is not always limited to a single word.

The example of semi vs full auto does not apply here. Why? Because those two terms do not mean the same thing. And they never have. So in the example of semi vs auto, accuracy is important as you note. But again, that does not apply to this discussion.

Clip and magazine have historically been used interchangeably. The meaning has been the same.

Some folks think they know more than WW2 and Korean combat vets. Some of these vets I knew personally, others I read their writings (e.g., Patton). These vets were not wrong. Nor was the early 1911 literature that referred to a clip. It is just that some folks in recent years have chosen to ignore the historical use of a term.

Enough said. This horse is past glue...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    In this world, proper (precise) terminology is not always limited to a single word.

The example of semi vs full auto does not apply here. Why? Because those two terms do not mean the same thing. And they never have. So in the example of semi vs auto, accuracy is important as you note. But again, that does not apply to this discussion.

Clip and magazine have historically been used interchangeably. The meaning has been the same.

Some folks think they know more than WW2 and Korean combat vets. Some of these vets I knew personally, others I read their writings (e.g., Patton). These vets were not wrong. Nor was the early 1911 literature that referred to a clip. It is just that some folks in recent years have chosen to ignore the historical use of a term.

Enough said. This horse is past glue...
    They do not mean the same, and Patton was not the the foremost expert on guns. Just because it has been used by people and in publications does not make it right. Clips go into a magazine, therefore it can't mean the same.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Clips:
    upload_2018-7-18_10-9-14.jpeg

Magazines:
    magazines.gif

Recon2018

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Just IMO, but I lean towards maybe he should have been closer, and not been mag dumping. The dude was shaking from what looks like a combination of adrenaline and a bouncing truck, firing through a windshield (possibly deflecting the bullets; obviously not 100% sure on this but it's definitely a possibility). This isn't war, there are literally 2 threats/targets to worry about, you are keeping them in your view angle, and eventually you will be close enough to administer justice with your 15 round mag. Sometimes you have to take additional risk on yourself when you are in a neighborhood and NOT in a war-time situation. Then again, many people in this thread don't even realize that in Afghanistan our ROE is often more strict than in our own country's police forces so uh yeah LOL. Am I saying arrest the police officer? No. All I am saying is this video is a good demonstration to other police on when to restrain yourself just a bit longer. This cop should get some more training although I'm fairly sure what he did was totally legal given the ROE for police in this country is preety free. From reading the description, it sounds like he eventually shot and killed one of them AFTER they stopped. The question being; was suppressive fire necessary in a neighborhood, while moving, with a pistol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Back off the suspects and let them calm down. They're looking for a place to hide. Let them hide and send in Swat. Good law enforcement isn't having a gun fight out the window of a car.

Shooting through the windshield was stupid. Glass fragments hits the eyes and you're done. Effectively taking yourself out.

The motto use to be "Take them alive to face justice". Now's it's shoot their a$$ regardless of what's behind them. Including children, adults, pets and property.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Not to derail current topic turn on this subject, but I have a question about his grip.

Please educate me as to if thumbs crossed grip is taught as something that if works for you then fine, or if this is considered bad form. His crossed thumb WAS down pretty far, so maybe it’s kosher for him?

I thought maybe it was taught as a ‘shooting from seated inside the car, whilst driving’ strategy...but he also does it when standing outside the car and engaging suspects with gunfire.

I’m really wanting to know, not talking shit without knowing first.
    No, thumbs-crossed with a semi-auto is NEVER good. It's a great way to put "skin (your own) in the game". I don't believe that is his normal grip, just like that mag change isn't his normal mag change. Shit happens in a gun fight. Shit you don't plan on . . . even if you plan.

Top Bottom