• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Mowed the back yard yesterday. Kept smelling gas fumes. When I checked the the gas gauge, it read empty. Ha, I had just put 2 gallons in it 40 minutes ago. Now I know why the tank was completely empty before I started mowing. Found some fuel leaking in the rear, running down the transaxle. Figured the fuel line had cracked on the 19 yo mower.

Wow, how to get to it. After some heavy Googling, I got it disassembled enough to pull the tank and check the fuel line, but it wasn't the line at all. The tank has a 3 inch crack right in the center and another crack beginning perpendicular to that one.

Well, I thought about trying to fix it with super glue. I've had some success doing that with plastic gas cans. But it's a lot of trouble disassembling half the mower to get the gas tank and I don't want to take the chance that the glue won't hold. So, a new tank is on order, along with some new fuel line. Might as well replace that to while I have it apart..

13 bolts later...

IMG_2503.JPG

Dang gas tank is expensive. The cheapest I found was $180 on Amazon, gas cap not included, heh. Well cheaper than a new mower. The new one should be here early next week.

IMG_2505.JPG
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Yep. I hope it lasts a long time for you. I've been expecting my decrepit old John Deere Z255 to bite the dust for the last several summers, and I'm always happy when it makes it through another season. Last time I checked it had almost 1800 hours on it.

I think it's about 10 years old but I use it way harder than it should be as a "residential" mower. I've had to rebuild the spindles and pulleys a couple of times and I change oil/ filter yearly. I also installed a fuel cutoff valve so that I can run the carburetor dry every time I finish using it. It's one of the B&S V-Twins and it still purrs like a kitten! Well, maybe more like a lion, since the muffler is getting pretty old!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've had good success with using an old soldering iron and some seedeater string to weld a similar issue on a much mower gas tank.

That's a great idea!. I might try that. Practice on the old tank anyway. If it works, I'll have a spare :)
    A method of plastic welding that does work. But I would suggest using the same type plastic as the tank for an acceptable repair.

You need to determine the type of plastic the tank is manufactured out of.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A method of plastic welding that does work. But I would suggest using the same type plastic as the tank for an acceptable repair.

You need to determine the type of plastic the tank is manufactured out of.
    I guess old hard plastic isnt specific enough?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One of the good things about a plastic fuel tank. it's only a container for the fuel, and has no real pressure to contend with. Also a person could use an epoxy to seal up the repaired area to insure it didn't leak, and strengthen the repaired area.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have never had success with super glue on any plastic material and I don't know how one tells what type of plastic is used. Harbor Freight does have a plastic welding kit and I have one but have never used it. Since you have a new tank coming I wouldn't waste time or money on the old one.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Super glue only works on certain types of plastic. Super glue is just an acid. It doesn't react to all plastics. I plastic weld with a screwdriver tip heated to cherry and don't use filler. My repairs are not structural or visible.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    If a plastic gas tank is cracked, you can bet the rest of the tank is deteriorated just as badly. The molecular structure of the material has lost it's 'plasticity'. And no longer has any structural integrity.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom