Venture Surplus ad

Learn me: what AK mags are the good ones? Whats the "standard" 762x39 ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    122 or 123gr FMJ, yep. Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, whatever - it all goes bang.

Polycoating primarily protects the steel case from corrosion and possibly eases the case's extraction from the chamber.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I've never had any problems with Wolf, although like all cheap ammunition it's really dirty in your gun -- be sure to give it a good scrubbing with a good solvent once you're done.

Note: Whatever you do, don't buy any 50 round extended magazines -- they may look cool, but they're all usually very poorly made from Middle Eastern Bloc countries that churn out terrible quality gear. The only one I ever owned jammed my rifle up so badly on the second shot that I had to stomp the bolt open to get it to turn lose of the spent shell casing lodged halfway in/out of the chamber, then use a hammer and a metal rod to tap out the case itself. While I haven't tried any 40 rounders either, I wouldn't suggest fiddling with any of those either just on sheer principle, especially considering how cheap and plentiful the steel 30 round surplus magazines are.

I've never noticed a single issue with any of the 30 round steel surplus magazines I've ever bought (for sale practically everywhere), even the ones that are suspected Romanian in origin. Honestly, unless you're in the military or somewhere where the ultimate magazine with the finest quality/reliability is not only necessary but life-threateningly important, you probably don't really need to spring for all the added expense, especially if you don't shoot much. That said, while plastic TAPCO mags usually fit firm and snug in an AK pattern rifle, they're not the best durability wise, but while I've heard people question their reliability, I've never had any feeding problems with the one mag I currently own.

However, in regards to the Korean mags I've heard they are not worth the supposed extra "thrift" as the spot welding along the backs of the magazines is sub-par, which leads to popping of the spot welds during strenuous use, and eventual disintegration of the mag (obviously bad juju for a combat rifle like the AK).

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    If you get a wasr you'll probably get a tapco g2 trigger. These are nice triggers. Some of the Romanian SAR rifles came with shitty triggers that will slap your finger. I had my right index finger sewn back on. There is scar tissue with nerve damage. Trigger slap for me is extremely painful. I have to wear a glove while shooting my SAR1 until I get off my lazy ass and put a g2 in it.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    If you get a wasr you'll probably get a tapco g2 trigger. These are nice triggers. Some of the Romanian SAR rifles came with shitty triggers that will slap your finger. I had my right index finger sewn back on. There is scar tissue with nerve damage. Trigger slap for me is extremely painful. I have to wear a glove while shooting my SAR1 until I get off my lazy ass and put a g2 in it.

That trigger slap ain't no joke. Hurts like a son of a bitch.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Ive ran tapcos till my AK was smoking and changed colors with no problems, the steel mags wobble a bit, but they work good too.

A few of my Tapcos had to be downloaded to 28 rounds for the first use or two but after that they were good to go

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I've never had any problems with Wolf, although like all cheap ammunition it's really dirty in your gun -- be sure to give it a good scrubbing with a good solvent once you're done.

Note: Whatever you do, don't buy any 50 round extended magazines -- they may look cool, but they're all usually very poorly made from Middle Eastern Bloc countries that churn out terrible quality gear. The only one I ever owned jammed my rifle up so badly on the second shot that I had to stomp the bolt open to get it to turn lose of the spent shell casing lodged halfway in/out of the chamber, then use a hammer and a metal rod to tap out the case itself. While I haven't tried any 40 rounders either, I wouldn't suggest fiddling with any of those either just on sheer principle, especially considering how cheap and plentiful the steel 30 round surplus magazines are.

I've never noticed a single issue with any of the 30 round steel surplus magazines I've ever bought (for sale practically everywhere), even the ones that are suspected Romanian in origin. Honestly, unless you're in the military or somewhere where the ultimate magazine with the finest quality/reliability is not only necessary but life-threateningly important, you probably don't really need to spring for all the added expense, especially if you don't shoot much. That said, while plastic TAPCO mags usually fit firm and snug in an AK pattern rifle, they're not the best durability wise, but while I've heard people question their reliability, I've never had any feeding problems with the one mag I currently own.

However, in regards to the Korean mags I've heard they are not worth the supposed extra "thrift" as the spot welding along the backs of the magazines is sub-par, which leads to popping of the spot welds during strenuous use, and eventual disintegration of the mag (obviously bad juju for a combat rifle like the AK).

Your the first person Ive ever seen talk about cleaning an AK, unless they shot corrosive ammo.....Ive never cleaned mine

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Good stuff. Adding this info as well to my list.

How about ammo though?

123gr the standard weight?

Polyester coated does what for the casing/gun?

Nothing more I can add about mags that you haven't already been told. I just will say I've had zero issues as well with surplus steel mags just don't ask me what kind. If they are from somewhere in the Eastern Bloc, I'll buy them.

Ammo, I have mixed grains and types. Not that I shoot them all mixed up at the same time, but when it comes to ammo for the AK, again, I have had zero issues with what grain, HP or FMJ. I'm not trying to win a bulls eye contest at 600 yards with mine, so I don't pay close attention besides the price I'm paying at the time. Not to say you can't try, it's just not my intention with these particular firearms of mine.

I have a Sig556 as well. I love it and have had zero issues. I use Pmags & USGI mags, as well as both 193 and 855 ammo. She is not picky with ammo.
    I will say the only thing I don't like about it is that parts are rare and expensive. I suppose you could send it back to Sig if you have any issues, but I just like having spare parts, personally. But in no way is that a deal breaker. If I had the cash, I'd buy another. (did I mention I'm a hoarder? :p)

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Nothing more I can add about mags that you haven't already been told. I just will say I've had zero issues as well with surplus steel mags just don't ask me what kind. If they are from somewhere in the Eastern Bloc, I'll buy them.

Ammo, I have mixed grains and types. Not that I shoot them all mixed up at the same time, but when it comes to ammo for the AK, again, I have had zero issues with what grain, HP or FMJ. I'm not trying to win a bulls eye contest at 600 yards with mine, so I don't pay close attention besides the price I'm paying at the time. Not to say you can't try, it's just not my intention with these particular firearms of mine.

I have a Sig556 as well. I love it and have had zero issues. I use Pmags & USGI mags, as well as both 193 and 855 ammo. She is not picky with ammo.
    I will say the only thing I don't like about it is that parts are rare and expensive. I suppose you could send it back to Sig if you have any issues, but I just like having spare parts, personally. But in no way is that a deal breaker. If I had the cash, I'd buy another. (did I mention I'm a hoarder? :p)

Im considering an AK now for $500-600 instead of a 556R for $1000-1200 although that is what id eventually like i think. Havent shot my 556 yet but i like how the internals look when i broke it down.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Good stuff. Adding this info as well to my list.

How about ammo though?

123gr the standard weight?

Polyester coated does what for the casing/gun?

The polymer coating is a new/commercial thing. Military ammo is typically lacquer-coated steel or naked brass. The coating keeps the steel from rusting, which it will do with a quickness if exposed to the elements. Steel cases will become unusable way faster than brass will.

There are two military standards I know of for 7.62x39mm. The first is the original Soviet M43. It's a 123 grain boat tail bullet. Wounding capacity is on par with 7.62mm NATO M80 ball, which is to say complete shit. It pokes a .30" hole through whoever you shoot. Which is why the Yugos designed the M67 ball, which is 124 grain and yaws a lot more quickly. It's also supposed to be more accurate (I believe it; it sounds like they went nose-light, possibly based on what the Brits did with .303, which had/has a reputation for accuracy and outstanding wounding characteristics because the bullets were light in the front) and definitely produces more decisive wounds than the M43.

The Yugos helped set up production facilities in several other countries, possibly including Iraq (I know they sold them tooling to make rifles, ammo production seems like something that would naturally follow) and I'm pretty sure Egypt.

I was interested in the 556R until they had to recall them for not working, and after having looked at some of the "fixed" versions and the loooong jump cartridges have to make from the magazine to the chamber, I'm completely unwilling to trust the rifle.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    While I haven't tried any 40 rounders either, I wouldn't suggest fiddling with any of those either just on sheer principle, especially considering how cheap and plentiful the steel 30 round surplus magazines are.
    I was under the impression that the Russian 40-rounders originally issued with RPKs were considered reliable. I have no experience with them, though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But what I consider to be one of the most rarest/collectable AK magazines is the Bosnian/Croatian Fleur de Lis, easily identified by the "stylized lily" at the bottom.
    I know these are commonly called "boy scout" magazines. I've seen people swear up and down that they were actually produced for the Bosnian version of the Boy Scouts.

Is there any truth to that? I know next to nothing about AKs, obviously.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I know these are commonly called "boy scout" magazines. I've seen people swear up and down that they were actually produced for the Bosnian version of the Boy Scouts.

Is there any truth to that? I know next to nothing about AKs, obviously.

No truth at all. There is debate as to whether they were actually made in Bosnia or Croatia, but the only reason they are referred to as "boy scout magazines" is because the BSA also uses the Fleur de leis as their logo. There is no connection with the Bosnian Boy Scouts...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    For what it's worth, this from the AK Operators Union, Local 47-74...

1497632_704722022893413_603554030_n.jpg

In next few days Magpul Industries Corp. will release their PMAG 30 AK/AKM MOE magazine - And I Don't Care! Neither should you!

I had a chance to hold that mag in my hands and in my honest opinion, they shouldn't even release Gen I. Reason - lack of reinforced metal lip for mag catch (D'oh!). This is horrible mistake on Magpul part. This mag outside shell is not designed nor ready for AK world. Whoever was responsible for that "error", clearly has no clue about AK's, which is very disappointing to me. Good news - supposedly Gen II mag will have reinforced metal lip, but at that time they will be doing damage control from bad PR they going to get from Gen I. And this is going to fuel even more rage in AK users crowd against Magpul...too bad, because internally, this is outstanding mag...-Rob Ski

Ps. Just to clarify, I'm not Magpul hater - i have some of their equipment on my rifles, because it works well for me.

To which Duane Liptak from Magpul chimes in...

Hey guys, Duane from Magpul here. I am indeed an AK guy (that's me in the pic), and there is a plan. Yes, an all polymer AK magazine is not military-grade durable in this platform because of the front and rear engagement surfaces. That being said, our polymer holds up surprisingly well in loaded rifle drop tests. We do that to test shear strength of the tabs, as well as a ton of other durability tests. We've beat the heck out of these in addition to the endurance firing tests. Making the all polymer version first allowed us to tweak geometry easier, so now we have the blueprint going forward for a magazine with solid steel reinforcements, for which the Bulgarian Circle 10 is the durability performance target, and which we're currently working on. You'll then have the option to run the MOE mags on the range and the steel reinforced for real, if you like. We've already had these out to some familiar names in the AK world with very good reports, despite the MOE's lack of steel. The MOE version will be shipping imminently. And, I like 5.45 a lot. No promises, just saying.

A lot more discussion about this on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...64900672459.1073741828.656164651082484&type=1

Top Bottom