leather belts

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by charlie-6, Apr 11, 2008.

1. charlie-6

charlie-6 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    central texas
    Who has a somewhat fast return on carry leather belt? surf for 2 days most of the belt makers won't answer their phones/e-mail the few that does are talking 12-16 weeks. :mad:

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The Beltman (http://www.thebeltman.net/) cites 3 weeks from order to shipping. I have one that was ordered just over 2 weeks ago.

We'll see how close they get. :D

FWIW, I came across someone on 1911 that came into 3-4 Sparks belts. Paid less than half the cost of a new one, and when it came yesterday I was floored. He described it as good condition. It was brand new, never worn or even buckled. After wearing it for a few hours, I can easily see where I had it buckled so I know it was never worn.

I was a happy guy....especially for the price and 2 day waiting period. :D

Watch forums for sale sections etc.

3. TexasT/A

TexasT/A Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Amarillo
    I still need to get a good gun belt, but I can't figure out what size to order. I'm afraid a 32" might actually be a bit too big, and a lot of companies don't even make anything smaller than a 34" :(

4. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    not on topic but i didnt want to make an entire new thread.

would anyone recommend uncle mike's instructor belt??

5. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Each belt maker has their own way of measuring. The Beltman follows up with an email stressing to check and recheck using their method giving you a chance to change the size if you don't have it right. Then they make size what you order.

I'm about a 32" waist and all my regular belts are 34" and I generally use the 2 hole so I have plenty of growing room. I ordered the Beltman in a 35" which is what I came up with from their measuring method. I have a 36" Milt Sparks which is slightly too big although it works fine, just on the 1st or 2nd hole depending on what I'm wearing. I'll be limited in wearing that one without a gun and holster IWB though.

6. TexasT/A

TexasT/A Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Amarillo
    I'm about a 29" waist, I'd probably be good with a 31. Did you get the insert on your Beltman belt?

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    No insert. I don't think they need it. If they are anything like Sparks, and they also use 2 layers of hide (stronger than one thicker one) it's plenty. I can't believe how well my all steel Kimber carries now.

Most people I know that have ordered, usually end up 3" over their waist size. Keep in mind, you'll lose some belt length in the fact that it's stiffer and won't conform to your body like a regular belt will. So figure 1" in "overhead".

I should know if the 3" over rule works when I get mine soon. Some say theirs come feeling a little smaller than you think they will. That may be because of the stiffness I mentioned.

8. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Measurement of correct belt length depends on the maker. Select a belt maker and contact him/her for the measurement method to be used. Most do NOT want to know what length belt you normally wear.

A common measurement method is as follows:
    Pick a belt that fits you well wearing the holster and gun if possible. Note which belt hole you use. Remove the belt and measure from that belt hole to the point where belt rolls around the buckle. THAT is the length belt you order. They will make the belt so that this is the length to the middle hole on your belt. BUT NOT ALL MAKERS USE THIS METHOD SO BE SURE TO USE THE METHOD YOUR SELECTED BELT MAKER SPECIFIES!

9. TexasT/A

TexasT/A Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Amarillo
    Let me know if the 3" over works for you. I took a measurement from my old belt with my holster on and came to 31" but my old belt is so curved now that its kind of hard to measure. I may just order a 32" with 7 holes to be safe.

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Not sure if I posted it above, but the Beltman uses a different way to measure. I think Sparks uses the same method.

Measure from the hole you use now (while carrying) to the end of the buckle. That's different than some.

http://www.thebeltman.net/faq.htm#2