• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm aware that the state definition of "premises" does not necessarily match (or have to match) the employer's definition, but since the employee handbook states "premises" and does not specifically mention "parking lot", I used that as a basis for my question to the corporate big-wigs. My question was not worded in such a way as to even hint at the state's definition of premises, so they made their decision on their own accord and with no worry that I'd go pedantic or constitutionality on them.

No matter how you cut it, we (as a company) have been given specific permission to keep firearms in our locked vehicles in the company parking lot. That's a good thing.
    ARJ Defense ad

elwaynum1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    College Station, TX
    I realize this is an old thread, but how does the law apply to having a handgun in your car at say a public university? I know that you cannot have a handgun on you while walking or within the university, but how does that apply to one that remains your vehicle?

arvetus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Lufkin, TX
    as stated earlier in the thread, the penal code referring to concealed firearms defines "premises" as a part of a building. It does not include a driveway or parking area, only buildings. I see nothing written in the code that excludes a public university from this definition. So, leave it in your car.

The last legislative session had something in the works to allow for "campus carry," but last I knew, it hasn't went anywhere. We will have to wait until the next legislative session to see what happens, or if it comes up again.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Perhaps someone can interpret this for me. For the City of Austin Personnel Policies:

While off duty, employees are prohibited from possessing or storing a concealed handgun or any other weapon on the property leased, owned or controlled by the City of Austin; to the extent pre-empted by state law, this sentence shall not apply to City parks, political rallies, political meetings or parades. This paragraph does not apply to public streets or sidewalks, nor does it prohibit an off-duty employee from traveling through the airport and transporting firearms, as long as the transportation is in compliance with all laws.

Top Bottom