• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    You may not like the conclusions being drawn in that film, but many of the observations are spot on. There are some facts to nitpick, but they don't discredit the overall message.

The swinging, easy-motoring, revolving-credit economy based on endless economic growth isn't going to last forever. The science of economics may have developed before the finite nature of the universe was understood by physics, but that's no excuse for not accepting that infinite growth is a fundamental impossibility. Arguably, a few more sharp spikes in the price of oil and a number of economic and political concepts thought sacred may be unconditionally surrendered to the ruthless forces of reality.

Barring economic disaster, materials prices may force an end to disposability and planned obsolescence. It won't be a terribly difficult transition to reuse of materials vs continuous production of new; or designing products to be serviceable and to be easy to reclaim atend-of life. Isn't the adaptability of markets supposed to be their great strength?

How the left sees the world. Guess they think Santa makes their laptops, cars, jets, vaccines, and arugula.

Uh, the film was a summary overview of how the modern consumer economy works. They basically summed up the production model for most consumer goods - raw materials gathered from all over the earth, fabrication in some overseas sweatshop, distribution through the first-world retail system, then disposal. No mention of Santa. They didn't even argue too strongly that the system needs to be badly altered in ways that would drastically alter the flow of designer clothing and bigscreen TV's - only pointed out its shortcomings and gave a "brochure view" of ways to fix it.

The filmmaker repeatedly said something that I'd think everyone on this board could agree with - that the government needs to once again be of the people, by the people, for the people.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The filmmaker repeatedly said something that I'd think everyone on this board could agree with - that the government needs to once again be of the people, by the people, for the people.

The film maker also said, "The government has to take car of us. It's their JOB!"

I find the two concepts in conflict.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You may not like the conclusions being drawn in that film, but many of the observations are spot on. There are some facts to nitpick, but they don't discredit the overall message.

The overall message? The overall message is that we need centralized planning to force people to do what this bitch thinks is right. And a lot more than "some facts" can be shredded, not simply nitpicked. A lot of the "facts" were spun from whole cloth - the "you throw out 99% of what you buy within 6 months" thing for example. Tell you what... everybody go through your home and tell me how much of the stuff you see was bought less than 6 months ago. Does it come close to being everything in your house? That "statistic" is such bullshit that you can't nitpick it, you have to shovel it. There are so many others just as bad that I'd either need to get a backhoe or divert a river to take care of it all...

Pretty hypocritical, too, when she's taking corporations to task for "running the government" when she works for the people who wrote the "stimulus" bill. Nothing like lining those corporate pockets then turning around and railing against what you just did, huh?

An excellent rebuttal: YouTube - Story of Stuff, The Critique Part 1 of 4

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Watch it when you get home.

I'd love to flush these girl's cell phones, ipods, and laptops down the toilet then ask them if destroying other people's property is funny or acceptable.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    It is kinda spotty but I can heremost of. well you get the idea. From what I understood is that the violent protest was not them or there group but a separate group and then I couldn't watch more as the video was to crappy. My wife's computer at home crashed so I can't watch it at home.

Top Bottom