Legal? GT Distributors reporting large ammunition purchases?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    Is this even true?
    and,
    If yes, is it a local agreement, or did an ammo reporting law get passed that somehow I missed?
    is a "local agreement" of this nature legal? or is it specifically illegal?

I heard (admittedly from a friend of a police officer: the officer told his friend who told me), that GT Distributors in Austin is reporting large ammo sales, and that this agreement is with all local Central Texas gunshops. The details of the story, paraphrased, are: police officer buys 700rds of ammo from GT and next day at work someone says "Oh, I see you bought some ammo yesterday".
    Whereupon the officer hears that GT reported it and so do other local sellers.

Anyone have better intel on this?

Very sincerely,
    C-
    Lynx Defense

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    How would someone at the officers department know he had purchased ammo the day before even if the ammo purchase was reported to someone?

I imagine the majority of what you were told is BS, if not all of it

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Makes me want to go to Austin next time I need to stock up, and see what happens... If they ask for an ID, you'd know something is up. Otherwise, what are they going to report?

Also, they'd actually have to take time to record what's on the ID. Just a name isn't really worth saving...

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I stand by this personal rule:

Anything stated after the term, "i heard from some guy" is 100% total BS.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Dont know if what the OP is questioning is true or not, but I was asked for my ID during my ammo purchase at GT Distributors yesterday....... They did not scan, swipe, or type in any of my DL info. Perhaps the words "check id" in the signature box of my debt card influenced the decision to ask.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Probably BS... But... they dont need to ask for names most of the time these days. People use credit/debit cards which is better than a name...

ranchhand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    kyle, tx
    Maybe the other person at the office saw him buying the ammo, and thought he would make up a good storyas to how he knew.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    I appreciate the replies. Of course, everyone I heard this from could be telling tall tales to make waves.
    See, this topic hits a cord because no one WANTS it to be true.

I wouldnt have bothered to ask if I had any verification other than my hunches. And my hunch is that it is baloney. But I decided to post because there is just enough doubt: based on the historical trust I have in the person i heard it from (i.e. he is generally sincere), nor does his cop buddy have any reason to fib in this manner.

The only more solid info posted so far is that LJH actually bought ammo recently and apparently without incident- unless, as stated, he paid with a credit card; which would save his info for review/reporting, if such is occurring, or if he didnt buy enough ammo. QUANTITY! That is one piece of info I left out: apparently only purchases over 500rds at one time are being reported.

Not sure about 499 rounds on 2 consecutive days or any permutations of that nature.

Anyway, I still would like to know, essentially:
    1. if this specific happenstance (i.e. central TX ammo sellers reporting large sales) is true, and
    2. in general, if such a thing has been quietly legislated , or
    3. if not legislated, is it legal to do so; or is it specifically illegal to do so (these are two different questions according to my lawyer friends)

Thanks all!
    C-
    One piece

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    So to hopefully clear this up.... My roommate works there and his response was "not only no but F&*k no..."

Now if you have ever shopped at GT you would know that if they wanted to report they could because they get the name and address of everyone that makes a purchase there to send out catalogs.

If anyone really has a question about this I am sure that anyone at GT's would answer any questions anyone asked.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I've never done business with GT. The Walmart in Huntsville requires me to fill out a personal info form when I buy over 200 rd ammo at one time.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    Great! Thanks!
    I've been sending all my friends, esp military (because of the glock special) and ladies down there- they consistently treat the ladies very well.
    So I would have been very dissappointed if I had to reconsider my patronage. But all seems well now.
    Have a peaceful and blessed weekend,
    C-

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I've bought about 600 rounds of 40 for my duty weapon without hassle. Maybe just that store policy, but I wouldn't fill out. A lot of good places to order online with decent shipping.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Probably got started because some guy bought several thousand rounds of 7.62 X 39 at two or more Academy stores in ATX. Not sure why it got attention but the suspicion was he was taking it several hundred miles to the south for Zeta use. Got a BOLO some weeks ago with stills from store video and vehicle description. The purchase became suspicious when the various store staffers spoke and realized there was a common thread. Same guy with Spanish accent makes several purchases the same day. Who needs 3-4 thousand rounds of AK ammo? Well I do, but I don't buy that much in one day from several stores and I don't have a Spanish accent. Paranoia. The cartels are going to invade Texas.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom