Patriot Mobile

Legal? GT Distributors reporting large ammunition purchases?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    The Walmart in Huntsville requires me to fill out a personal info form when I buy over 200 rd ammo at one time.

I'd demand to know what lawful right they have to do so. The one here doesn't....
    i bought more than 500 rounds there....they recorded nothing.
    Maybe just that store policy, but I wouldn't fill out.

Pure B.S., plain and simple.

Friday night ... a little adult beverage ... an f'd up mind ... and some time on my hands
    Sorry guys, the http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0) made me do it! http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0) Don't be a hater!
    Lynx Defense

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The Walmart in Huntsville requires me to fill out a personal info form when I buy over 200 rd ammo at one time.
    Friday night ... a little adult beverage ... an f'd up mind ... and some time on my hands
    Sorry guys, the http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0) made me do it! http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0) Don't be a hater!

Sorry - but if that is your idea of "fun", then you need to come back when you can maintain an adult conversation. When you do shit like that, some folks get upset - others start circling wagons and making phone calls, sending emails etc. Crying "wolf" like that simply says that anything you say will now be considered suspect.

Bet you didn't think about that, didja?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    There is a HUGE difference between crying wolf and playing around. One difference would be never letting others know I was only playing. I did not cry wolf. I hope no one contacted wally world over my post. You're right, humor is subjective. Sometimes your intended humor isn't funny - to me - and that's ok.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Poking at someone, or a real isolated incident is one thing - what you have to bear in mind is that someone googling ammo sales could come up w/it, and suddenly it'd be all over the net....and when the REST of the story came out, the forum itself would look the fool.

I understand your intent, but the trick is to put enough other tomfoolery in so that a reasonable person would "get" it. Idiots....well, they deserve what they get.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I get your point. The lack of tomfoolery was intentional, to see a reaction OR if I'd immediately get caught and "beat up" on the spot, which is what I expected. To be clear, the Huntsville Walmart requires no personal info when buying any quantity of ammo (at least the quantities I can afford). I still love ya in the manly way.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Anyway, I still would like to know, essentially:
    1. if this specific happenstance (i.e. central TX ammo sellers reporting large sales) is true, and
    I don't believe it is true.
    2. in general, if such a thing has been quietly legislated , or
    No
    3. if not legislated, is it legal to do so; or is it specifically illegal to do so (these are two different questions according to my lawyer friends)
    Ask your lawyer friends

Perhaps the "friend of a friend" made a Dept buy or another Officer saw him at the store.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Even if they did I doubt the fed is gonna come busting your door down unless you order a million rnds 30 "assault rifles" and was asking about a phased plasma rifle in forty watt range.

atx5thfj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Round Rock TX
    Is this even true?
    and,
    If yes, is it a local agreement, or did an ammo reporting law get passed that somehow I missed?
    is a "local agreement" of this nature legal? or is it specifically illegal?

I heard (admittedly from a friend of a police officer: the officer told his friend who told me), that GT Distributors in Austin is reporting large ammo sales, and that this agreement is with all local Central Texas gunshops. The details of the story, paraphrased, are: police officer buys 700rds of ammo from GT and next day at work someone says "Oh, I see you bought some ammo yesterday".
    Whereupon the officer hears that GT reported it and so do other local sellers.

Anyone have better intel on this?

Very sincerely,
    C-

The answer to this is emphatically no. We have not had a request from any LE agency to report any ammo purchases big or small nor are we reporting ammo purchases to anyone. We do ask for IDs when selling to people who might be under 18 or 21 for handgun ammo. We do ask for LE, Security, or Military creds on Hornady TAP red box ammo per our contract with Hornady. We do ask for addresses and phone numbers to add you to our data base and to help us in the unlikely event of a recall. This helped recently in recalls on Federal .45 ammo and a 5.11 knife.

Jim Orr
    President
    G T Distributors

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    The answer to this is emphatically no. We have not had a request from any LE agency to report any ammo purchases big or small nor are we reporting ammo purchases to anyone. We do ask for IDs when selling to people who might be under 18 or 21 for handgun ammo. We do ask for LE, Security, or Military creds on Hornady TAP red box ammo per our contract with Hornady. We do ask for addresses and phone numbers to add you to our data base and to help us in the unlikely event of a recall. This helped recently in recalls on Federal .45 ammo and a 5.11 knife.

Jim Orr
    President
    G T Distributors

Spoken from the horses mouth here folks. Thanks Mr Orr for stepping in to clear this up.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx

Jim Orr
    President
    G T Distributors

Howdy Mr Orr,

While we have you here, think I could get a smoking deal on an SR1911 as a LE? Lol. Thanks for coming on the board to clear the matter, very much appreciated since i shop quite a bit at GT's with my coworkers.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Guys, next time lets not jump to conclusions when we hear unsubstantiated claims. Check the facts and verify instead of falling for sensationalism.

Thank you Jim for joining us and for clearing things up. :-)

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso

Was that some kind of poor excuse at trying to prank someone ? I could have swore that I called "B.S." on that. Was just wondering why my name was on your list of duped.......

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by randmplumbingllc
    Pure B.S., plain and simple

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Was that some kind of poor excuse at trying to prank someone ? I could have swore that I called "B.S." on that. Was just wondering why my name was on your list of duped.......

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by randmplumbingllc
    Pure B.S., plain and simple

Negative on the duped list. Your quote was used to show that I had been called out.
    You called me as BS, which was accurate.
    To be honest, I wasn't sure if you were calling me out, or the comments about GT.

I've already shown I'll take the heat due my poor choice of subjects for humor so, bring it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Let this serve as a warning. If you make unfounded accusations about businesses, or make false "jokes" that can potentially ruin another business' reputation, there will be consequences. Asking an honest question is one thing, HOWEVER, questions like these are not the best idea. Do your due diligence, check your facts, and don't base these things off of hearsay or what a "friend of a friend" might have said. Remember, people's business reputation or personal reputation are at stake here. It will not be tolerated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom