• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txtrader682

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Arlington
    Is there any market for issued or unissued firearms? I was going to purchase a 3rd Gen Glock 21 until I found out it was an "issued" Kansas Highway Patrol issue, and it looked like it had been in circulation for a while. Lots of holster wear, but might be worth a couple bucks.

The weapon, mags and even the serial number is stamped with KHP markings. Anyone ever purchase an "issued" or "un-issued" weapon before?

Just curious....
    Target Sports

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Police department trade-ins are sold all the time.

The only "market" over a standard pistol is for those who collect them for their markings.

Poink88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Austin
    I have one...it is S&W 5906 police trade-in and love it.

As with anything, there are good condition ones and there are abused guns too. Guns are meant to be shot/used...check/strip it and as long as it was treated properly, it should serve you well.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have a few police trad-in's I bought in Arizona. Arizona LE and state people have to trade all their guns in within the state. No Gun Goes To Wast in Arizona.
    Hell, I actually have some riot shotguns that came out of LAPD cars. Think they traded the shoutguns in for some enviromentally friendly pepper spray.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My current carry gun is an SAPD trade in unmarked. I can almost guarantee that officer never cleaned that gun one single time with how dirty it was. ;)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    A buddy of mine has a SAPD G22. Was very dirty. . . but ran great.

if the holster wear is that bad, you can send it to Glock or duracoat it. . . . .

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I would not be afraid of buying an issued gun. Condition is everything... and I'm not talking about a little holster wear. If it's mechanically sound, I'd buy it.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    A friend got a police trade-in SIG P226, it had a fair deal of holster wear but the insides were almost new. For that price I wouldn't mind it at all. The night sights on it were still nice and bright as well. I'm shallow though, I like pretty guns. Function alone doesn't do it for me.

txtrader682

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Arlington
    A friend got a police trade-in SIG P226, it had a fair deal of holster wear but the insides were almost new. For that price I wouldn't mind it at all. The night sights on it were still nice and bright as well. I'm shallow though, I like pretty guns. Function alone doesn't do it for me.

Agreed... I can get a pipe with some power if I just wanted to hear a bang... The gun has to make a statement IMO... Now, if it was a well used, high profile weapon, it would be a conversation piece, but that would be about it for me... Personally, after seeing it, I think it needs a bit of TLC... But, that's just me!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Sportsmans Outlet in Humble has some TDC Stainless S&W .357's for $350. Some are better than others, but appear to have more holster wear than anything.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    That is in great condition! Nice find.

My only police trade-in is my Remington 870 riot gun. Finish has some wear, but otherwise in great condition for a 30 year old police shotgun!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looks like it's in pretty decent shape Eric.

As far as Glock trade-ins go, as long as the finish isn't horrible and the price is decent, I wouldn't be too concerned. Barring any major catastrophic damage, for the most part pretty much any Glock can be brought to perfect mechanical working condition with $20 or less worth of parts that can be replaced in a couple of minutes. Guns like Sigs, on the other hand, I'd definitely examine the gun much more in depth.

txtrader682

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Arlington
    Thanks for all the feedback.... Think I am going to take this one... Price is good and the asthetics can be worked on... Worst case scenario is that it is just a plinker... :D

Top Bottom