Venture Surplus ad

Living social selling CHL class for $198!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullgator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Houston TX
    I have my CHL from "One Day CHL.com" and my instructor was very thorough in the presentation. With the 10 hours required instruction and shooting range there is really no time to cover much else and he warned everyone not committed to Control, STOP and Neutralize the attacker, then do not carry as you may be killed with your own gun.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You can legally carry a gun in your car or truck with out a chl.and you can use deadly force to defend you car.

Murfdog

How do you know "you" can legally carry a "gun" in your car or truck? What if "I" am committing a crime at the time, or if "I" am a member of a criminal street gang?

And what do you mean you can "use deadly force to defend your car"? If someone is scratching my car with a key I can shoot 'em?

SteveSpread

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Austin, TX
    blackwater,

just for clarification i am pretty sure Stunt Tactical (or whatever their business entity's name is on the training side) is NOT offering legal representation or insurance. if they are offering insurance they'd have to registered with the Texas Department of Insurance.

what it appears they ARE offering is that if you call them and tell them you've been in a critical incident, they will call an attorney they know, and that attorney may or may not attempt to respond to the crime scene. it also appears that they will attempt to respond to the crime scene, for what reason i have no idea, since they cannot legally interevene on your behalf or speak on your behalf since they aren't licensed attorneys.

what they may be offering is their services to testify as an expert witness on use of force, if they can be qualified as such (if they are not already). however i would imagine a competent defense attorney or prosecutor would subpoena the guy who signed off on the CHL anyway, so im not sure they could justify charging when they'd be compelled to testify anyway under subpoena.

while it is a great idea to get more training above and beyond a CHL, i am not certain that it is covered in the 10 hours they offer, because the state mandates a minimum of 10 hours for the legislatively required CHL course. so, if they offer two days and say 8 hours a day, that's 16 hours. that would mean they can offer 6 additional hours of other stuff they can add to the course.

and i think we all can figure out exactly what you can and can't learn in 6 hours. and if you can learn it, does it justify the offset cost of a CHL instructor who doesn't offer the extra training, but charges let's say half?

im not knocking the instructors, i don't know what they teach, i am just clarifying that they are most likely NOT selling an insurance plan for legal services.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The new law castle doctrine says I'm legaly able to carry in my car (not if your a felon)a defend myself if I'm in my car.

Murfdog

The Castle Doctrine has nothing to where you can carry a handgun. The Castle Doctrine made changes to the use of force laws, not where you can carry. Prior to the Castle Doctrine you could defend yourself in your car. The Castle Doctrine did not allow you to defend yourself in your car, as that was already OK.

The Motorist Protection Act changed the unlawful carry law to allow the carry of a handgun in your motor vehicle or one under your control IF;

1) the handgun is not in plain view

2) You are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm (perhaps this is why you listed felons)

3) You are not committing a crime

4) You are not a member of a criminal street gang.

Top Bottom