Patriot Mobile

Local JBT's interfere with family in car.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    From the Corpus Christi Police Department Facebook page

n Saturday, November 8, Corpus Christi Police Officer Ed Kearney responded to Cole Park to check the welfare of a family living in their car at the park. Officer Kearney spoke to Shaun White who explained that he, his wife and their three children ages 5, 6 and 7 had left Beaumont, TX and had come to Corpus Christi because he was promised work and a place to live upon arriving. They packed all they owned in the car and made the trip. This plan did not come together and the family found themselves living in their car on the streets.

They had no money and the children had been in the vehicle for several days.Officer Kearney said that Mr. White was very humble and just needed help finding a place for his children to eat, sleep and take a bath.

The officer enlisted the help of his co-workers on his shift and they all combined their resources and efforts. Officer Matt Harmon was able to get a donation from the Dollar General Store located at 609 S. Staples St. That combined with donations from officers from across the city made for a grand total of over $200 raised for food. Officer Gracie Luna-Garcia took the mother to purchase toiletries and hygiene products for the family. Officer Luna-Garcia was also very instrumental in getting the family into the Rainbow House to stay. This was a combined effort of all the Corpus Christi Police Officers on duty on Saturday morning, taking the time to help a family down on its luck.

This is a true testament to the quality of officers in our department. Lt. Karl Wright was able to speak to the family later in the day, and they were overwhelmed with emotion and stated they have never seen so many officers take the time to help people they didn't know.
    Lt. Wright also gave a special thanks to Barbra Acuna, the store manager for the Dollar General Store for her help and contribution.

Way to go, CCPD
    Texas SOT

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, they did good.

Then they decided to brag to the world about what wonderful people they are. My definition of charity does NOT include making sure the entire community knows that you're being charitable. In fact, my definition of charity requires quite the opposite.

YMMV.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I agree ben, they did a real good thing. Sorta comes with the whole social media BS world we live in now. But at least we didnt see selfies or snapchat videos of the officers in action xD

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yeah, they did good.

Then they decided to brag to the world about what wonderful people they are. My definition of charity does NOT include making sure the entire community knows that you're being charitable. In fact, my definition of charity requires quite the opposite.

YMMV.

Well, since the media (and many here) like to point out whenever they think a LEO did some wrong, they are sorta left to their own to point out officers going above and beyond.

That sure must be a sour taste you have in your mouth.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That sure must be a sour taste you have in your mouth.
    Not really. Being the grandson of a hardshell Baptist evangelist brings with it certain attitudes about charity and publicity.

I have other reasons, too, but that one should be enough.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Yeah, they did good.

YMMV.

As recovering Southern Baptist, I too have a glass is half empty attitude when I read stories like this, for similar reasons.
    An act of charity comes from the soul, not the head.

However, if motives for helping the family were self-serving, then they will answer for it one day.
    In the meantime, a family down on their luck and in need was helped onto their feet.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Yeah, they did good.

YMMV.

I bet that evil bastard deducts charitable donations also! Realistically who here thinks this patrol officer just happens to be the PR flak that pushes stories like these? Or that the PR people should not try and get out stories when officers do good work?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Yeah, they did good.

YMMV.

Totally agree with these statements.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    From the Corpus Christi Police Department Facebook page

Way to go, CCPD

Good story TXI, and to all the small minded people with there negitive responses if you can't say anything good
    about how they helped a family in need you are an unnecessary type that is wasting oxygen on this earth.
    I don't care what you think of me and this post as at my age I just don't give a DAMN.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Geez, the cops do something good and people still have to find something to piss and moan about!

I say good on the CCPD for not only doing this, but letting the world know!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...to all the small minded people with there negitive responses if you can't say anything good
    about how they helped a family in need you are an unnecessary type that is wasting oxygen on this earth.
    I don't care what you think of me and this post as at my age I just don't give a DAMN.
    I didn't know Flash had a brother on here. :)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What a bunch of jerks! Should have found them a job instead of giving them a hand out. Now they are just gonna expect all cops to be helpful ;)

However, if motives for helping the family were self-serving, then they will answer for it one day.
    Doesn't helping someone feel good? Even when you don't tell a soul about it? That good feeling is self serving. Don't over analyze it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom