Loctite/Frustration

cowboy45

May 1, 2008
mexia texas
I may catch a lot of flak over this but here goes. Ladies and gentleman. I Recently traded for three different rifles, not all at the same time. They all had scopes which I wanted to remove. After busted screws, driver tips,small propane torch, drill press, I was able to remove them.
The point I am so desperately trying to make is, you dont have to use Locktite on the screws to mount a scope. I you are firing something large enough to back out screws and mounting bolts you dont nee a scope, you need a spotter.
It only takes about 15 ft lbs to properly secure a base and rings. Make sure the threads are clean and use properly fitted tools.
Thanks for listening and for the recored I am not b****ing, I am venting.

Be safe.

dee

Well-Known
Nov 22, 2008
Red River Way
I use a lil bit of clear fingernail polish over the screw after installing. Have not had a problem removing screws.

okie556

Well-Known
Feb 12, 2009
Longview, TX
Loctite fine if you use the right one!
I used Blue Loctite to mount a tactical light & laser on my AR15 Quad Rail. I removed them a couple of months later and found rust on the screws from the water based Loctite........and I shook it up real good before using. I'm done with Loctite!

Okie556

cowboy45

May 1, 2008
mexia texas
Bingo!!! Clear fingernail polish is a great sealant. All you need to soften it is a drop of acetone
You dont have to glue screws in if you make sure the threads are clean and use a little torque to seat them.:patriot:

cowboy45

May 1, 2008
mexia texas
Im not sure what inch pounds are but I will agree with you that it doesnt take much.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member