Loctite/Frustration

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by cowboy45, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I may catch a lot of flak over this but here goes. Ladies and gentleman. I Recently traded for three different rifles, not all at the same time. They all had scopes which I wanted to remove. After busted screws, driver tips,small propane torch, drill press, I was able to remove them.
    The point I am so desperately trying to make is, you dont have to use Locktite on the screws to mount a scope. I you are firing something large enough to back out screws and mounting bolts you dont nee a scope, you need a spotter.
    It only takes about 15 ft lbs to properly secure a base and rings. Make sure the threads are clean and use properly fitted tools.
    Thanks for listening and for the recored I am not b****ing, I am venting.

Be safe.

2. Loctite fine if you use the right one!

3. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I think on the last one the guy used JB Weld???

4. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I use a Wheeler FAT torque screwdriver to secure scopes and such. J B weld sure has a lot of uses, doesnt it?

5. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I use JB Weld on a lot of things. But not something you might have to take apart.:hammerhead:

6. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I use a lil bit of clear fingernail polish over the screw after installing. Have not had a problem removing screws.

7. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I used Blue Loctite to mount a tactical light & laser on my AR15 Quad Rail. I removed them a couple of months later and found rust on the screws from the water based Loctite........and I shook it up real good before using. I'm done with Loctite!

Okie556

8. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    15 ft-lbs for those little screws? More like 15 inch pounds.

9. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Bingo!!! Clear fingernail polish is a great sealant. All you need to soften it is a drop of acetone
    You dont have to glue screws in if you make sure the threads are clean and use a little torque to seat them.:patriot:

10. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Im not sure what inch pounds are but I will agree with you that it doesnt take much.