Looking at this ford

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by country_boy, Aug 5, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
  2. kerryp

kerryp Active Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    C6 is a good tranny, that was the work horse tranny for Ford for years. I had them in a couple old Ford cars and trucks years ago and never had a problem, friend had one in his cougar with the 429 Cobrajet. The C4 was used in the small block cars and the C6 was used in the bigger block cars and in trucks to hold up to the towing and horsepower. I would love to have an old style Ford truck, especially one that is 4x4 and extended cab, you didn't see many around in those days and their even harder to find now...that would be a good restore...

3. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    So its like a727 torqueflite by Chrysler??

What about the 351m engine, is that a strong engine?? I wasnt aware it w as m engine until reading some articles.

4. Buckles

Buckles Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    the 351 is a 5.8L i believe. Its a hoss. my dad had one in his old F150. they arent fast by any means, but they do make some power and tq

5. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Tell ya a li'l secret....take that 351m, drop in a RV cam (your auto parts house will know what yer lookin' for) an' a high-flow carb, an' you'll have an engine that'll put 'bout anything you got the guts ta put behind it! Did that on my '79 F250 SC, an' pulled a 36' gooseneck all over the east coast deliverin' Longhorns to folks with more money than sense!

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Is this for a ranch truck or a daily driver? If you have to drive from Georgetown to Austin everyday like me you would want better mileage out of a vehicle. If your just tooling around Georgetown or Round Rock it is a good idea if it runs as good as he says it does.

7. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    The 351M and C6 are Old School main stay of the Ford work truck
    Bullet proof and if broke, easy and cheap to fix.
    Yes a good RV cam and a reall Holley carb not a Motorcraft and you have a winner.
    The 351M set up right is as stout as a 454 in stock trim.

8. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    this is farm truck usage only. I drive my little nissan as a daily.

9. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Similar in application, but much better, IMO.

I love rebuilding the C6. It's so easy. :smoker: The only hard part is stacking all the drums before you put them in the case, and getting them in the case without having one pop out of a clutch. But once you get the hang of it, it's gravy, probably the easiest transmission I've ever learned to rebuild. Heck, even my brother the builder can rebuild a C6.

351M is a good engine. C6 is IMO a phenomenal transmission.

10. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well I passed on it.

For simple reasons.

1st even though its a rebuilt engine, the odometer is showing a very inaccurate reading.

2nd If im going to pay $1.5k I want to be able to drive the truck back to my house. The truck doesnt have the registration sticker nor inspection sticker. Which makes me wonder if this truck is even his. Why not at least have a registration sticker?

3rd it has some minor oil leaks and the shifter lever is broken and vice grips are locked in place.

To me this truck is only worth $750