Target Sports

Looking for a punching bag - what should I buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So I finally decided what to buy with my piddly Christmas bonus: a new heavy bag. I had one back in CA, but had to leave it behind when I came to Texas. I need to get some cardio in and I really miss being able to beat the crap out of something whenever the urge hits.

I'd like something that either has a stand or is free-standing since I don't really have anything to hang it from. What do you have for me, oh internets? It would be nice if I could pick one up locally. I really don't want to pay for shipping on a heavy bag...

Oh yeah, it needs to be pretty stable/sturdy. Maybe on the heavy side, since I won't have a partner to keep it steady. Doesn't need to come with gloves (don't need 'em).
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The problem is I don't have anywhere to hang it... I'm going to look around a bit more, see if I can find something else, thanks.

tequila45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    aurora, il

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    you can use a piece of angle iron with bolted across several celing beams to share the load of a heavy bag, be sure to add good spring and swivel. And +1 on the free standing bags suck. You'll be chasing that thing all over.

timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas
    I have an Everlast (I think) that is free standing I haven't used it in years.
    Send me an e-mail if you are interested.
    I live in the DFW area.
    I am certain we will agrea on a price...

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Here's my .02:

First, I'd do some looking here: RossTraining.com

This dude is a serious boxer and IIRC the only free-standing bag he recommends is the largest Wavemaster. They do say to fill the base with sand instead of water, top it off with water if you need to. They also have a thin mat to put it on to keep it from sliding, sold separately of course. If you have the room you can also push/pull the weighted base around like a sled/prowler.

My wife got me this for Christmas a while back: Cornerman (TM) at Century Martial Arts It doesn't move at all and you've got plenty of room to work around the bag unlike most free-standing stands. It's not exactly cheap though. I've got a 100 pound Century heavy bag on it. The bag spends about half it's time on the ground.

If I had to do it over again (or if I could sale/trade my Cornerman) I'd get the largest black Wavemaster and a 100 lb heavy bag to use as a floor bag so I don't have to take it down and put it back up when I use it different ways.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    As always, I did things my own way. I also lived in a rental but there is a tree SOMEWHERE! Having an audience may be unpleasant but that's how it will be on the street. It's realistic.

For years, I used a US duffel bag crammed with blankets as tightly as I could stuff them. Just don't hit the metal fittings. The old cotton bags held up much better than the nylon ones.

I hung the bags from a tree which made it difficult to hit much like a real opponent would be. I used that for punches, Sudo (open hand), back fists, forearms, elbows and kicks. For head shots, I raised the bag to head level and hit the damned thing HARD! I saw NO benefit in a speed bag. You will need gloves as hitting the bag hard will take the knuckles right off of your hands.

Never pull a punch or throw it short. That kind of practice makes you ineffective and you learn NOT to hit.

It sounds like a stupid plan but when I hit, I hit hard and go for collar bones and knees, first. I wore out several bags and lots of gloves. Recently, I set up a bag to teach someone how to HIT. Young folks aren't willing to work like that, now and it just sits in my barn.

Flash

Top Bottom