Patriot Mobile

Looking for a punching bag - what should I buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You will need gloves as hitting the bag hard will take the knuckles right off of your hands.

Yeah, it will. When I used my last bag, I'd wear light gloves just to protect the skin.

About a year ago in Austin, walking down the street someone was yapping and it got on my nerves. So I reached out and rang a light pole with my fist.

He shut up...
    Hurley's Gold

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You rang his bell by remote, huh?

I used to let that bag swing freely, let it hit me from behind, then elbow it, let it swing to the side to put a backfist on it then spin into a Sudo strike then front snap kick........and so on. You can spar by yourself that way!

Some day we'll meet in person and you can check out my hands. You'll see what years and years of that stuff will do. My fists are like small hams.

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Do you have any negative repercussions from that?

No but I wear XXXL gloves and that's a very tight fit. Actually, I am very skilled working with small mechanical devices but I have a huge array of tweezers, probes and delicate tools for small work. When I worked for MD Aircraft, I took scraps of titanium from F-15 production and designed my own mini tools using titanium.

I broke my left wrist in a fight and since then the index and middle fingers in my left hand don't pull all the way into a fist. I used to win bets unscrewing oil filters without a wrench until I broke my right hand in a motorcycle wreck. Although I can still do the oil filter trick, it hurts a lot.

The AG teacher at our HS had giant hands and he was built like a water buffalo. Once in a while, I see some bigger grippers but not often.

My old boss used to refer to my hands as "The Claws Of Death."........snicker.

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My hands aren't as big, but I don't have any dexterity problems outside of injuries. I cut partway through the extensor tendon in my right index finger once. Now, it'll have stitches in it forever and it's hard to curl that finger over all the way. Got about 85% mobility back, which ain't bad for cutting a tendon at a knuckle.

Haha, I had a dumbass cubicle jockey in LA try that "I'll squeeze your hand and make you flinch" BS during a handshake a couple years ago. I didn't let my face show anything, just squeezed and he was the one that flinched when the bones ground against each other inside his hand.

LOL, I could have really crushed his hand if I'd wanted to.

Trying to get "cute" with someone that works with his hands for a living (like a mechanic, a builder, etc.) isn't a smart thing to do, especially when you work a mouse and keyboard all day.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Found it!

I don't think I'll be able to make that trip this time around. That's way out there for me on a work night. Thanks again, though.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    halfway, or austin...?

i'm trying man... possibly friday..?

I appreciate it! My dogs will tear my place apart if I don't come home after work and keep an eye on 'em, and the hours I work are a pain in the butt... I couldn't even make it to Austin before 8...

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Haha, I had a dumbass cubicle jockey in LA try that "I'll squeeze your hand and make you flinch" BS during a handshake a couple years ago. I didn't let my face show anything, just squeezed and he was the one that flinched when the bones ground against each other inside his hand.

I hate idiots that try to do that. I mean seriously what are they trying to prove?? A handshake is a greeting not a freaking contest.

Bear1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    San Antonio TX
    I use a Wavemaster free standing. I bought mine used on craigslist for $75. The guy admitted he moved it more than he used it and it looked brand new. I've got about 60 lbs of sand in the bottom but it does move around a bit. I can add about another 100 lbs of sand which would anchor it pretty good.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    As always, I did things my own way. I also lived in a rental but there is a tree SOMEWHERE! Having an audience may be unpleasant but that's how it will be on the street. It's realistic.

For years, I used a US duffel bag crammed with blankets as tightly as I could stuff them. Just don't hit the metal fittings. The old cotton bags held up much better than the nylon ones.

I hung the bags from a tree which made it difficult to hit much like a real opponent would be. I used that for punches, Sudo (open hand), back fists, forearms, elbows and kicks. For head shots, I raised the bag to head level and hit the damned thing HARD! I saw NO benefit in a speed bag. You will need gloves as hitting the bag hard will take the knuckles right off of your hands.

Never pull a punch or throw it short. That kind of practice makes you ineffective and you learn NOT to hit.

It sounds like a stupid plan but when I hit, I hit hard and go for collar bones and knees, first. I wore out several bags and lots of gloves. Recently, I set up a bag to teach someone how to HIT. Young folks aren't willing to work like that, now and it just sits in my barn.

Flash

Too bad you in E Houston. Ive been looking for someone To get some pointers from. Kind of want to get into some kind of boxing to get back in shape.

Top Bottom