• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I was looking at the Mossberg 464 and read a ton of reviews where people praise that firearm, but I can't find one anywhere I think they have been back ordered for over a month now. I was curious if anyone had suggestion to something similar. Mossberg had the 464 SPX version which had a tri-rail forearm, adj stock, and flash suppressor. Really wanted that one, but will settle for a non-tactical type if the reviews sound good.
    DK Firearms

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Just about any lever rifle will be plenty reliable. The design is well over 100 years old. You can find a used Winchester 94 on the used market from time to time for a reasonable price.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I looked at a few websites like gunbroker, texasguntrader, armslist, etc. All the Winchester's I found were pretty pricey. I would like to remain under 400-500 if at all possible. I was doing some more research and came across this last night, the Marlin 336BL (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfire/336BL.asp) in 18" for $502 at buds gun shop for the laminated finish (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...00/Marlin+336BL+30-30+18"+6+1+Laminated+Stock) -- however the 16" Hardwood finish is about $100 cheaper. Is there going to be a noticeable difference going from 18" to 16" to save $100 ?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Check around your local gun shops/pawn shops - you should be able to find something that'll work for you. 16" barrel should be just fine - and a lot easier to manuever!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think either the Marlin or Mossberg will serve you well and run a little closer to your price range. I would stay away from the winchester only because the loading gate gets blocked after the first round is shot from a full magazine making reloading on the fly difficult. I own a 16" winchester but prefer a longer barrel on an open sighted rifle. Longer sight radius typically equals greater accuracy.

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I'm also partial to the Marlin 336. I picked one up at a local pawn shop a few years ago and love it. There are a ton of them around and you can find a used one in good shape for well under your price range. The shop I got mine at had a few of them to choose from.

I did see that Marlin 464 SPX in a recent American Rifleman and it really caught my eye. I might have to grab one if I ever come across one.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I was seriously considering the Marlin 336 - I have found one for $400 online.. However.. I think I hit a string of luck.. my mother's neighbor is selling his lot of firearms. Some of the items include Winchester 94 30-30 for $200 and a Marlin 338 30-30 for $250.. several 22LR and 45 as well as 45-70 lever rifles in the list too. Few pistols, and a few shotguns. Going to go take a gander at them this weekend and make a selection. If anyone in the Houston/Waller/Hempstead area are interested let me know I will forward a list of the available items.

bushd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Richardson
    I love my Win 9422. It's just a 22 but I really want a higher caliber because of it. I will say that if you cycle through the action with the gun too far tilted left (all I've done so far trying to watch it cycle through) it won't load the round correctly and will get jammed in the receiver.

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I have one of the .30-30 Mossberg 464 SPX levers and at $400 from Bud's, it's a real nice gun. As I've been shooting it the action is getting as smooth as a hot knife through butter. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another...

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I would snatch that Win 94 up in a heart beat for that price, assuming it's in good shape.
    The appearance of the Win 94 is pretty much exceptional condition with the exception of a scratch here and there from moving it around (not in a case). I picked it up. However, the trigger seems very loose. After doing some research before I bought the rifle, I read multiple places that the trigger on the Win 94 are loose and made that way or at least that it is very common. I don't think I found any posts where people said their trigger was not loose. Can anyone who reads this confirm or deny that? I ended up buying it for $140 instead of $200 because of the loose trigger, it seems the owner was not aware of whether the loose trigger is an issue or not. I told him after I get it checked out, if everything is working how it is supposed to be, I would give him the extra $60. Here is some pictures of the 94 --> NTMock's Winchester Model 94 30-30

Last edited:

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I love my Win 9422. It's just a 22 but I really want a higher caliber because of it. I will say that if you cycle through the action with the gun too far tilted left (all I've done so far trying to watch it cycle through) it won't load the round correctly and will get jammed in the receiver.
    The guy that I bought this 30-30 from had a 9422 but sold it. He has a "Waller County Special" limited edition Henry 22lr with custom engraving in the stock and receiver. #15 of 100 made. Really nice looking.. he also has a Henry lever 357/38 and a Henry lever 44 magnum for sale.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I have one of the .30-30 Mossberg 464 SPX levers and at $400 from Bud's, it's a real nice gun. As I've been shooting it the action is getting as smooth as a hot knife through butter. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another...
    I would buy one of those, but they are sold out everywhere I look online and at storefronts. It is normally $399, but now with all this nonsense going on, the prices online have jumped to around $500-535 from what I have seen. I will pass on it until this "craze" dies down.

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    Can't help with the loose trigger since I don't have experience with the Winchesters, but you got a great deal and it sounds like you're a real stand up guy to offer them the full asking if it's normal.

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    Can't help with the loose trigger since I don't have experience with the Winchesters, but you got a great deal and it sounds like you're a real stand up guy to offer them the full asking if it's normal.

Thanks anyways. Yes of course I would be as fair as possible. I did a lot more research and found that post-64, the Win 94s have loose triggers straight from the manufacturer. Something about how they use a 2 piece trigger, but there is a company that makes a trigger called "Happy Trigger" where you can replace it and it's a more solid, non-loose trigger. It does not effect the outcome at all either way. Winchester had the loose trigger as an added safety feature, you have to pick up all the slack in the trigger before firing. In the end, I am happy. However, I am going to find a Marlin 336W 30-30 now. I like how the Marlin ejects to the side, and you are able to mod it more. IE put a scope on top if you want. But then I found this article, and my jaw dropped to Singapore --> Link: Marlin 336 CAR (Cowboy Assault Rifle) (even though I hate the word "assault" ... I can beat you with a rock, does that make it an "assault" rock?)

Top Bottom