• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Sometime in the next 6 months or so, I would like to buy a 9mm for target shooting, home protection, and carry. As with most things I buy, if I have to choice to buy something made here in the states, I will.

So, I'm trying to come up with a list of 9mm pistols that are made in the states. And any and all feedback regarding them as well - especially reliability.

I am really looking at the S&W M&P - it feels very comfortable (have not fired one - just holding it), but I am not sure about the DAO. Any thoughts on this (DAO versus single action )would be appreciated as well.

I have had about a 15 year break from any serious shooting, so consider me relatively new to shooting and having limited firearms knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mic
    Texas SOT

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    IF your looking at the Smith and Wesson, try the triggers on the long slide target models that are out. Its supposed to be alot better then the regular stock length triggers and according to SHOT show rumors its going to be available as an option in all the other model sizes this coming year.

On the buy American front, are you looking for a gun that is 100% american made? Not many, if any of those. Most companies out there that sale quality guns get various parts from someplace outside the US to use in their guns. Ruger may be the only mainstream one that doesn't but I'm not sure. I'm sure someone will be along in a second with some other makers.

malladus

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Welcome. Ruger and Springfield are two that you might consider. If you want to expand into the 1911 realm of 9mm pistols, Springfield, Kimber, and Wilson are all highly rated.

By the way, technically speaking, the S&W M&P is not DAO, it is striker fired.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It's pretty hard to find a 100% us made (engineered, component manufacturing and assembly) in the US hand gun. Springfield was mentioned, and there may be some models of 1911's that fit that (custom shop?) but seems I remember reading that the frames come from Brazil.

Although Sig is thought of as a German company, today's current production of most Sigs come from Exeter NH so they probably have as much US parts and labor as other brands that are thought of as US companies. Sadly, German made Sigs are generally more highly regarded and sought after than the US counterpart.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks Malladus and Pete.

As far as American made, I am looking for something assembled in the United States - you can never really know where every single component is made, so I don't sweat that too much. I prefer something designed in the states, assembled in a factory in the states, although an overseas company that puts a factory over here and employs Americans to build a gun will also get my preference.

As far as Springfield goes, at least the XD (which I think is a very nice looking gun) is made in Croatia.

As far as the striker fired as opposed to DAO, how does that relate to trigger pull length and weight? My best comparison would be to a Wesson model 14 revolver which is a whole world of difference when shot DA compared to SA. Would the striker fired M&P be similar to firing said revolver DA every time? Or is a striker fired usually a lower pull length/weight compared to a revolver?

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Sorry - my reply covered stuff you guys had already said. Wrote it a bit back, but came back to computer and realized I hadn't sent it.

Curious about Sigs... Which are made where? Trying to look around on websites, it is hard to determine where their specific guns are manufactured. Guess that leaves me to trying to find pics of guns and reading sides of them :(

Thanks again for all the input so far and to come!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    All of the current US supply of P series come from NH, except P228 which was discontinued then brought back for a limited run. Any of the ones with carbon steel stamped slides are German made. The stainless steel slide models P226, P229, P239, P250 and SP2022 (all can be had in 9mm) are made in Exeter.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks Malladus and Pete.

As far as the striker fired as opposed to DAO, how does that relate to trigger pull length and weight? My best comparison would be to a Wesson model 14 revolver which is a whole world of difference when shot DA compared to SA. Would the striker fired M&P be similar to firing said revolver DA every time? Or is a striker fired usually a lower pull length/weight compared to a revolver?

Striker fired is much different from DAO. The striker is 'cocked' most of the way back when the slide is moved to the rear. The trigger pull only moves the striker back a fraction of it's travel length. It is much lighter and shorter than a true double action. Also because of this you have no restrike ability when pulling the trigger a second time. The slide must be cycled to recock the striiker.

I know people that have M&P's with custom trigger jobs approaching 2lbs of pull and very little takeup and overtravel.

Here's an animation of a Glock firing so you can see what I'm talking about.
    Sniperworld.com Glock resource

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Ruger. The SR9 looked interesting to me. It is an American company, though I don't know where they are made.

Does STI make a 9mm 1911? They are here in Texas.

In reality, I think you are going to find that no matter what gun you buy, something will be not be American. Heck, the Toyota trucks are made here in San Antonio. I'm pretty sure my Beretta said made in USA on it.

And yes, all the striker fired pistols I have fired have a much lighter and shorter trigger than a true DAO pistol.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That Glock animation is pretty cool, but what it doesn't show is the short reset the Glock action has. It's about 1/4 of the full travel, and a nice feature.

FWIW, Glock stock triggers are around 5.5 lbs, and if you have been shooting SA guns (1911's and other DA/SA pistols) the striker fired guns take some time to get comfortable with. There are some off the shelf things that can be changed on Glocks (connector etc) that reduce trigger pull a bit, but for a carry weapon, I'm not in favor of really light triggers.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    All of the current US supply of P series come from NH, except P228 which was discontinued then brought back for a limited run. Any of the ones with carbon steel stamped slides are German made. The stainless steel slide models P226, P229, P239, P250 and SP2022 (all can be had in 9mm) are made in Exeter.
    Many of the SP2022s you'll see for sale right now were made in Germany. You can tell the ones made in Germany vs US by the s/n being stamped on the frame, slide, and barrel, plus the slide will be marked DE. Any other new Sig is going to be US made, however they aren't quite as nice as the older ones

I don't think you'd be disappointed with a M&P9 if that's what you end up with. Very nice guns. Check out the Ruger SR9 as well. See if you can find someone that has them that will let you shoot. It will make decision making much easier.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I highly recommend giving the M&P some serious consideration. IMO it is a better overall platform than the XD, and with only a little work the trigger can feel significantly better.

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've had my M&P in .40 for about 6 months now and it has performed flawlessly. That being said, I think the XD is a fine gun and you would probably be happy either way. The M&P just felt best in my hand.

Biggy

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    New Knoxville, Ohio USA
    I've had a bunch of different 9mm pistols through the years. Right now I am waiting on two of the limited run S&W M&P "PT" pistols from G&R Tactical. I have come to prefer the striker fired pistols with the S&W M&P being in first place for me , the new next generation Glock just comming out would be in second place , then I would choose the H&K P30 third and finally the new Sig E series pistols just comming out in fourth place. These are all quality pistols and the order I have placed them in is just my personal preferance.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    My sister in law has a Ruger P series in 9mm, I think P89 or P95. It is the most fun 9mm I have ever shot. I have a Kahr PM9 made in USA and my Glock was made in Georgia.

Top Bottom