• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    I'm new, I'd like to find someone to meet up with at some point to go shooting. More of a mentor thing, to help me along. I've went to a range once with a friend and once on my own and fired a few shells from a shotgun on a couple of occasions on people's private property over the years, but that's about it. I can't travel too far. It'd need to be on the east side of Houston.

I know how to point a gun and pull a trigger and have some type of reasonable accuracy, but I want more than that. I think I could really benefit from some type of mentorship. At the current moment I have no idea when I could actually meet up with anyone, but I figured I'd go ahead and get this out there now so that when I do, I know who to hammer out the details with.

I'm a jack of all trades of sort and love to learn new things. Sometimes it's kind of a curse, because once I have a reasonable understanding of something I tend to get bored with it. However, guns have always had my attention. It's actually one of the few things I think I'll have a life long fascination with. Sure I could just pay someone and go to class or what not, but I want something more personal, someone who wants to do it as much as I do, not just because I'm paying them to do it.

I've been told in other threads to ask around, so I am. If anyone near by is willing to feed someone hungry for knowledge, let me know.
    Lynx Defense

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    I'm trying and it's really hard to put myself out there like this. I'm a very shy introverted person. But I want this, pretty badly in fact. Everyone keeps asking me to go to Hicksville and I wish I could. I don't even know what it's about. I just know that even without me having a job atm, it wouldn't work out. It's 4 hours from me. That means 8 hours driving time plus however long it lasted. So there's little chance it would line up so perfectly I could leave when wife got home from work and be back before she had to go back. Son would be left alone.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Everyone keeps asking me to go to Hicksville and I wish I could. I don't even know what it's about. I just know that even without me having a job atm, it wouldn't work out. It's 4 hours from me. That means 8 hours driving time plus however long it lasted.
    It's about great people, a great time, and awesome therapy.

Affording it is a personal decision. Do it if at all possible.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    He had a pretty good rub going in another thread but it was jacked by a guy who hates Texas and loves Glockster.

Wish I was closer bud.

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    I plan to stick around. I'm kind of a lurker guy though. At least in the beginning. I like to get a feel for a community before I really start putting myself out there, like I said, introvert, to a fault.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Like I said, I'm not near Baytown per-se, but if you're looking for someone to go with you or teach you some stuff just let me know when you'd like to go.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Look for an NRA certified pistol instructor. Some ranges have them on staff and don't charge or charge very little for instruction...one on one instruction may be more expensive but basic instruction in a group is a good way to start.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Look for an NRA certified pistol instructor. Some ranges have them on staff and don't charge or charge very little for instruction...one on one instruction may be more expensive but basic instruction in a group is a good way to start.

I actually did that when I bought my first gun. I think I took one or two classes and it was a good experience. Didn't hurt that she was easy on the eyes either. :p..

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Supernova,

Can't remember from the other thread, but what shift does your wife typically work? And how old is your son? My son is 9 and he loves going to the range with me.

might be a bit of a trek though; I'm up in the Copperfield area in the NW corner of Houston.

Josh

Last edited:

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    She doesn't have a set schedule. Some days she work evenings some days she works mornings. I was on graveyards but lost the job. So before I can go, he either has to be in school or she has to be off for the day (or just me being back before she has to leave or going after she gets off work).

He's 11. I've showed him my gun, and explained it a bit to him, let him hold it (of course after making sure it was safe) and let him dry fire it, but I haven't really taught him much more about them yet. I told him I'd take him shooting some day if he wanted to go. I still have my bb gun, I might start teaching him about safety and how to handle a gun soon. As of this moment I definitely wouldn't really feel safe having him handle a real (loaded) gun. He's really small for his age too, so there's no way he could handle my .45 lol He had trouble just holding it up. He'd definitely need his own little .22 or something.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If nothing else, if others are willing to go and bring kids, take yours too. Nothing says he has to shoot. Being around the range will help him learn how to act there and other kids that are used to it will make it easier and help him stay occupied. And give you more time to relax and enjoy the range time and share it with him too. Just a thought. You know your son better than me.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    If nothing else, if others are willing to go and bring kids, take yours too. Nothing says he has to shoot. Being around the range will help him learn how to act there and other kids that are used to it will make it easier and help him stay occupied. And give you more time to relax and enjoy the range time and share it with him too. Just a thought. You know your son better than me.

Correct. Conditioning is key for kids. Helps 'em out later on when they learn to shoot.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The father son time is priceless. Gives you more flexibility as well. A chance for him to learn by example. Total win.

If you folks could make Hicksville, I could have a .22 rifle there that would fit him if uou wanted to let him. Single shot. Offers open, just say the word.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Check my signature line. At Trinity Bay Tactical, Stan (USMC) just acquired his NRA certification. He's a good guy....check him out!

Flash

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I started off teaching my kids proper gun safety with a couple cheap airsoft pistols from Walmart. Plinking at pop bottles in the back yard. Also used a few youtube vids of the 4 rules and the old NRA eddie eagle stuff.
    I picked up a beretta neos .22 pistol for my son to shoot (he's getting pretty good at it), but he has also taken a few shots with my xds 9mm (only 1 round in the mag at a time though). He also loves shooting my AR. With the right conditioning / training, they pick it up pretty quickly...

Top Bottom