• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My wife just gave me permission to get a .22 pistol and i was wanting some opinions. Top on my list is the Sig Mesquito. I love the Sig 226 and i think it could make an in expensive practice gun. From what i found it only likes cci mini mag or federal HV but the sig website sells a standard velocity spring set, haven't found anything on how much it helps. Also considered the Walther P22 but it seems be picky also and alittle more expensive. Also i am not in love with the pk380 i purchased so i'm not really goin for another walther right now. The ruger, Browning, Smith and wesson, and berreta all seem to have the same old .22 pistol layout that ruger has been using since the mark1 with different trim but i havent handled any except a ruger 22/45 i used have. Never gave me a problem but was looking into something different. Any opinions would be appreciated and would love to here from someone with the sig.
    Gun Zone Deals

RickP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    far East Plano
    My thought is a Browning Buckmark Camper @ Academy for $299. Don't know what you mean by "same old .22 pistol layout". The light recoiling .22 lends itself to a recoil operated action so almost *all* of them are the "same old .22 layout".

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    the M&P is not bad, Other than the HUGE thumb safety. Can't find any reviews for how it shoots. Think the sig is still on top for me being $75 bucks easier on the wallet.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    What do you normally shoot?

If its a GLOCK, then get an Advantage Arms .22 upper.

Are you going to supress it?

then you will want something with a threaded barrel.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    U22 Neos from Beretta is a good one.

looks like a space gun which is a plus.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What do you normally shoot?

If its a GLOCK, then get an Advantage Arms .22 upper.

Are you going to supress it?

then you will want something with a threaded barrel.

Don't have any plans to suppress right now.

I usually shoot a Beretta PX4 or Taurus PT917. (taurus 92 with minor changes)

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My wife just gave me permission to get a .22 pistol........

Holy crap, those words made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! I've been single forever (since 1975) and I hardly know what those words mean! I hope they were said in jest.

OK....the gun............High Standard Supermatic Citation Military or a S&W model 41. If you want to plink, they are over kill but if you intend to shoot for real or for scores, they are the way to go. If I couldn't have one of those, I'd go with the Ruger slab side "Government" model.

Accuracy and trigger are both OK on the Ruger. The High Standard and the Model 41 have no equal except for some spooky looking target pistols from Europe. I used to Ransom rest test both of them and believe me, the guns will shoot as accurately as any Human can master.

Flash

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Just went thought the same dilemma and purchased a Buckmark from Academy for $299. Took the magazine disconnect off the second I got home.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    The Wife & I have several...A nice Ruger Single Action w/ extra .22Mag cylinder, A Ruger MkII , and one of those Chiappa 1911-22 pistols. I would say that I love them all, the 1911-22 had a trigger pull I hated and I voided the warranty by changing it to my liking, it is accurate, but my all time favorite is that Ruger MkII I don't think it can be beat !

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My wife just gave me permission to get a .22 pistol........

Holy crap, those words made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! I've been single forever (since 1975) and I hardly know what those words mean! I hope they were said in jest.

Flash

I have my ""gun fund" to get whatever i feel like saving for, Permission is refering to money in the "general fund".

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I was thinking of the Buck Mark--Mosquito range of pistols when I 'discovered' the Sig 229 in 22lr. Picked that up initially and have added the 9mm conversion kit since. Sort of the reverse of what I 'thought' I would do with my Glock. Had to trick out the mag for the Sig, but I'm really enjoying shooting it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I really like my buckmark Camper. $330 + tax at academy.
    Browning range day 002.jpg

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It kinda depends on what you are looking for. For me it was the Ruger. I have 2 Mark III's and a Mark I. Once I discovered the "Cliploader" where you just dump a box of .22 into and slide in a mag to load it, other .22's seemed less desirable. I mounted a red dot on a 5" heavy barrel Mark III, and everyone that shoots it is an instant marksman to 25 yards.
    There are a lot of choices for a .22, but why not buy a gun that was designed to be a .22? I have a P229 and .22 conversion slide, but I never use it. The ability to load a magazine every 3 seconds with the Ruger is just too easy.

Cliploader is available many places, here is what it looks like...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The SIG Mosquito feels good in the hand but does not have the reliability of the Ruger MK I/II/III, or the Browning Buckmark.

The Rugers and Brownings digest every round fed; The Sig does not.

Be well.

slammr

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Plano, Tx
    I've shot a Buckmark style Mark III and it was terrible. Don't waste your time with Walther 22, it really sucks. I bought a used Sig Mosquito and my brother also has one that he bought new (I've shot that one too). I just took it to the range and shot Winchester Super X and Federal Lightning, and CCI mini-mag. All worked fine, except last round would not lock slide back most times (that was with all). I think my thumb was keeping slide release down. Based on my results the cheap stuff works with Mosquito, but will continue shooting some and report back. So far I like this pistol.

Beware though; your 9MM or 40, etc will feel like a cannon after shooting the 22.

Top Bottom