Hurley's Gold

LTC carrier offering assistance or not when someone or even LEO in need ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    I've heard some say they would help someone including LEO's if they saw they "needed" assistance. As in being on the losing end of a gunfight. Sounds reasonable to assist.

But.
    I'm not LEO. I would be concerned who I was helping might think I was one of their attackers. Especially if all other good guy(s) presently fighting are wearing badges and I'm not. I see assisting as probable suicide. I understand that we all should be willing to help each other. And I would be willing, but I am not interested in getting shot at by both the good guy and the bad guy. Plus after shooting is over and other LEO shows up, what if other LEO's are down and I'm only one standing? Again, I see me possibly being brutally beaten before arriving at hospital, if I survive the ride.

So, the choices seem to be 1)do nothing and move on while good guy possibly gets killed, 2) stop take cover and try to be witness, or 3) help and risk death by friendly fire.

I'm interested in peoples thoughts. I am mostly interested in LEO's thoughts.
    Target Sports

JD9305

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Austin & Ranch in Llano
    Not a LEO but this forum has all walks of life so here is my opinion on what I would do. If LEO was in immediate danger as if already on ground from GSW I would without a doubt draw and fire, I would also let said LEO on the ground know what the hell I was doing in some form or fashion and when other LEO buddies show up do the same and follow their instructions with your gun holstered and not in your hand. I would also help if there was a hand to hand incident going on but where I would actually stop and take cover and just assess the situation is if the LEO was in good position behind something and just exchanging gun fire. Lets face it, although I do actually dump my fair share of ammo into targets I'm not trained to be in that situation nor am I probably as good of a shot.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I would definitely try to help, where and how able. Doesn't mean I'd go in full guns, obviously, but if I had to draw to preserve life I would.

If a cop is on the losing end of a fight for his life, the last thing on his mind is whether you're the good guy or the bad guy - he's most concerned with self preservation. Sure, he'll try to assess whether or not you're an additional threat if able, but chances are you'll be met with enthusiasm if you announce your intentions to assist in keeping him breathing and keep up the dialog as you work. Listening to his cues, if he's able, will obviously go a long way as well.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Yes rend assistance. Communicate and then help.if needed.
    Become the question is if you are alone and need help.should I stop.
    Just me tho

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I agree, if you need to think about what your seeing or if you should help, you probably should call 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Now doubt I would help. And like everyone else I would let my intentions be known to whom ever I'm helping.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    there are way to many situations to say you could or would step in to help. You have 3 guys in full body armor with rifles. You would be stupid to engage them with your .380

Last edited:

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    there are way to many situations to say you could or would step in to help. You have 3 guys in full body armor with rifles. You would be stupid to engage them with your .380

The purpose of this question is not about the issues with bad guy. It is about possibilities of friendly fire or LEO mistaking good Samaritan for one of the bad guys.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have been told by several cops that if I can help and do it safely then please help. So I will. If you bumble into a situation you can get shot so figure it out. A lone cop on the ground next to his car with a perp standing over him with a gun? That's easy I help. Half a dozen cops, some shot some not? I can't help them except to stay out of Thor way. The key here is communication. If you can't communicate with the cops then don't help unless the reason is they are all incapacitated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    There have been off duty cops shot dead by uniformed cops when they were mistaken for an armed suspect. If it can happen to a cop, it can happen to you. Be careful and know what you're doing....

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    Here's my take and I will keep it short.

If I am on the losing end by all means come and help me if you need to. A good scenario is If I am already actively hands on with a guy and you decided to help...not a problem. As long as you can clearly yell out and say I am here to assist or help...shit "come and join me".

If Officer is down during a gunfight and no other officers on scene...same as above if you wanted to.

Active Shooter - My opinion: (Unless you are in it and needed to protect yourself and others. But make sure to follow the officer's instructions if they arrive on scene)
    If there is an active shooter and multiple Officers are on scene, I would advise that you take yourself to safety. There will be multiple jurisdictions arriving on scene and some will be on plain clothes. Our goal is to preserve life and stop the killing and I don't want you to be one of them. Assisting in this situation is confusing and that is why we have ongoing training/classes specifically designed for this situation. Blue on blue shooting is already a problem with responding on-duty and off-duty (plain clothes) officers. As an example here's a link of one of the classes. http://alerrt.org/course_types/view/112

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Here's my take and I will keep it short.

If I am on the losing end by all means come and help me if you need to. A good scenario is If I am already actively hands on with a guy and you decided to help...not a problem. As long as you can clearly yell out and say I am here to assist or help...shit "come and join me".

If Officer is down during a gunfight and no other officers on scene...same as above if you wanted to.

Active Shooter - My opinion: (Unless you are in it and needed to protect yourself and others. But make sure to follow the officer's instructions if they arrive on scene)
    If there is an active shooter and multiple Officers are on scene, I would advise that you take yourself to safety. There will be multiple jurisdictions arriving on scene and some will be on plain clothes. Our goal is to preserve life and stop the killing and I don't want you to be one of them. Assisting in this situation is confusing and that is why we have ongoing training/classes specifically designed for this situation. Blue on blue shooting is already a problem with responding on-duty and off-duty (plain clothes) officers. As an example here's a link of one of the classes. http://alerrt.org/course_types/view/112

Works for me

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If I see someone who's life is being immediately threatened, then yes I would intervene; LEO or not...

If it's a politician however, I'll probably just mind my business.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    There is no right or wrong answer to the question.

What if it was a bad Cop being beaten down by a citizen who was harmed in some way by that Cop?

Who would know?

My gut says the Cop is always the good guy.

BLM would make you believe otherwise.

Be well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom