• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I have coverage through US Concealed Carry.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

DirtyMarcus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2016
    Austin
    We have law shield. I will say this, I'm going to look at other options when it's time to renew. I'm not sure I agree with them coming into our ltc class and throwing a scare tactics sales pitch to try and get ignorant people to join.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    We have law shield. I will say this, I'm going to look at other options when it's time to renew. I'm not sure I agree with them coming into our ltc class and throwing a scare tactics sales pitch to try and get ignorant people to join.

The class you took or the class you are giving?

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I have Texas Law Shield and fortunately have NOT had to use their services. Carrying w/o insurance is akin to driving w/o insurance, ie, not too smart.
    No legal requirement to carry insurance for legal help after an incident...BIG legal requirement to carry insurance on the vehicle...not the same at all.
    It's prepaid legal service, not insurance against damages. Whether it's needed or not is up to the individual; but it's not going to pay for damages or hospital costs after an 'incident'.

Must be a few hundred thousand 'not too smart' folks in Texas. Anybody got the numbers of 'prepaid legal' policy holders vs the ~1million LTC holders?

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Coachrick raises a good point: unlike car insurance which the law does mandate coverage for 'liability' insurance - these programs are not coverages for liability claims. They're probably more equatable to "collision coverage" - which is not mandated by law - but is still in the best interest of the car owner (especially if it's a fairly new car).

DirtyMarcus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2016
    Austin
    The class you took or the class you are giving?
    A class we took. If I were to teach LTC classes I would give a brief run down over the option of these types of "insurance" policies but would not let someone take up valuable class time to throw a sales pitch at potential customers. Especially not by scaring them into buying a policy.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I knew about all that lawsuit stuff against TLS and found it mildly interesting. Mainly, I've been waiting to see/hear what the settlement results are.
    Just like with anything a consumer spends their money on, it's definitely a case of buyer beware....you've got to know exactly what you're paying for (in writing!). Hopefully the result of this lawsuit will encourage {force} TLS to more fully disclose what their service offering covers (and what it doesn't) - even though that's not really the purpose of this lawsuit.

Sent from my Apple thang.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    What about what cases they can refuse as it states even with payment or membership they reserve the right to refuse.

But without that right, one could use their gun to knowingly commit a felony and TLS would be obligated to defend them. At the same time, if you use your gun and you unknowingly (Which is on you) do so outside the scope of the law, then you are commiting a felony and they won't cover that either. That's pretty much understood up front.

Also, if you go to any of their classes, at least the one's I have attended, you will be told in no uncertain terms, when the police arrive after a shooting and if for some reason you feel a need to say anything to them, tell them "You thought he/she was going to kill me!" then ask to speak with your lawyer. before making any other statements. Nothing more!!
    If you say, as in the Zimmerman case, you used your gun to stop a simple assault and depending on the situation, you may have used deadly force when you weren't allowed to and hence commited a felony which they are not going to cover. It's up to the client to know when and when not to use their weapon, not them.

Last edited:

DirtyMarcus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2016
    Austin
    Interesting read for sure. Lots of loopholes for TLS to deny coverage for sure. It's kind of making me think about just having a lawyer on retainer, which can be used for many other purposes as well. Fear mongering is definitely a word I use to describe TLS' pitch to our class. It worked too because my wife decided to buy it for us

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    TLS talked for more than half our 10 hr class when i took it. I was not impressed. I felt the same way the OP did. They did have quite a few sign up though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom