Lubbock Sheriff deputy dies in head on collision

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by SIG_Fiend, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Another one of the good guys leaves us. Our prayers go out to the family and friends:

http://www.kcbd.com/global/story.asp?s=10253395

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    WTH, his car burst into flames!? Bizarre...

Hope his family sues Dodge. I can see a NHTSA investigation forthcoming.

3. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    :mad0071:

Investigation would be normal. Lawsuit would also be normal because we are a society of law suit happy people always trying to make a $$$ off of everything that happens with no thought given to the risk of certain things like smashing 2 cars into each other head on. Of course, that's Dodge's fault, not either of the drivers.

You smash 2 cars together and the manufacture can't be held responsible for what might happen as a result. Smashing to cars head on, presumably at a pretty decent speed, is not what cars are intended for. In the old days, it would have made a bigger mess and killed more people.

4. Starker

Starker Active Member

Yeah, that is horrible. I was out of town this weekend and just heard about this on the radio this morning. :(

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Just like guns, driving requires non stop safety and attention. Sorry for his friends and family.

6. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I got caught up in the "lets sue someone" and didn't ad in my reply that this is horrible. Especially for a guy that young. LE is a high risk but most of these things are carelessness on the public's part. You have to wonder how someone could make a left turn in front of a patrol car, lights and siren or not, at that time of morning when I'm sure there aren't many other cars around.

It doesn't mention whether he was married or had kids but in a case like this, you pray he didn't have kids. Kids shouldn't lose a parents like that.

7. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends, family and coworkers

8. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Very sad and tragic.

Depends on the intersection. I know of several intersections right in my neighborhood where such an accident could happen easily. And, we don't know if the person turning left had a green light, speed of the cruiser, weather, etc. But I definitely agree that suing an automaker for your car bursting into flames in such a collision is absolutely "sue McDonald's because their coffee burned me" ridiculous.

9. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Sad situation. Condolences to his family & friends.

Left turners are bad juju :mad0071: (...speaking with a rider's point of view)

Seems lots of boneheaded inattentive driver's don't see emergency vehicles when the lights are on, sirens blaring and coming head on. I watched it happen just last weekend on a 2 lane road here in town. Some driver's are simply impatient idiots with the me me me syndrome and can't stand being held up by the car in front who's actually pulling over and yield right of way to the emergency vehicle..

I shouldn't label the other driver in this accident. I wasn't there, I don't know the details. I suppose I'm a bit jaded.

Either way, sad situation.

10. Starker

Starker Active Member

I just heard on the news that the driver was arrested for intoxicated manslaughter around 7pm this evening. Also, he has a wife and two sons.