Lubbock Sheriff deputy dies in head on collision

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
Another one of the good guys leaves us. Our prayers go out to the family and friends:

http://www.kcbd.com/global/story.asp?s=10253395

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - An overnight accident claims the life of an on duty Lubbock County sheriff's deputy. The horrific collision happened just after midnight at MLK and 88th.
The Lubbock County sheriff's office is mourning the loss of one of their own. Corporal D. Robert Harvey was out on patrol early Sunday morning in Lubbock County when he was dispatched to a fight. "We had a major accident involving a Lubbock County sheriff's deputy and another vehicle at 12:20 a.m.," said Cpl John Gonzalez with the Texas Department of Public Safety. The accident took Deputy Harvey's life. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:23 a.m.
DPS says that Deputy Harvey was traveling north on MLK and as he approached the intersection of 88th and MLK, a 2003 Ford pick-up truck, heading south, attempted to make a left turn and collided with Deputy Harvey's vehicle. The head on collision caused Harvey's Dodge Charger to burst into flames, trapping him inside.
The Lubbock County sheriff's office says the 29-year-old dedicated seven and a half stellar years to the sheriff's office as a member of the SWAT team and the patrol division. The driver of the Ford truck was 25-year-old Justin Dwight McKinney and he is listed in satisfactory condition at University Medical Center. AeroCare took his passenger 24-year-old Justin Wade Walkup to UMC where he's listed in critical condition.
DPS is still investigating this deadly crash. It's still unknown if alcohol was involved.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
Hope his family sues Dodge. I can see a NHTSA investigation forthcoming.

Investigation would be normal. Lawsuit would also be normal because we are a society of law suit happy people always trying to make a $$$ off of everything that happens with no thought given to the risk of certain things like smashing 2 cars into each other head on. Of course, that's Dodge's fault, not either of the drivers.

You smash 2 cars together and the manufacture can't be held responsible for what might happen as a result. Smashing to cars head on, presumably at a pretty decent speed, is not what cars are intended for. In the old days, it would have made a bigger mess and killed more people.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
I got caught up in the "lets sue someone" and didn't ad in my reply that this is horrible. Especially for a guy that young. LE is a high risk but most of these things are carelessness on the public's part. You have to wonder how someone could make a left turn in front of a patrol car, lights and siren or not, at that time of morning when I'm sure there aren't many other cars around.

It doesn't mention whether he was married or had kids but in a case like this, you pray he didn't have kids. Kids shouldn't lose a parents like that.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
Very sad and tragic.

You have to wonder how someone could make a left turn in front of a patrol car, lights and siren or not, at that time of morning when I'm sure there aren't many other cars around.
Depends on the intersection. I know of several intersections right in my neighborhood where such an accident could happen easily. And, we don't know if the person turning left had a green light, speed of the cruiser, weather, etc. But I definitely agree that suing an automaker for your car bursting into flames in such a collision is absolutely "sue McDonald's because their coffee burned me" ridiculous.

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
Sad situation. Condolences to his family & friends.

Left turners are bad juju (...speaking with a rider's point of view)

Seems lots of boneheaded inattentive driver's don't see emergency vehicles when the lights are on, sirens blaring and coming head on. I watched it happen just last weekend on a 2 lane road here in town. Some driver's are simply impatient idiots with the me me me syndrome and can't stand being held up by the car in front who's actually pulling over and yield right of way to the emergency vehicle..

I shouldn't label the other driver in this accident. I wasn't there, I don't know the details. I suppose I'm a bit jaded.

Either way, sad situation.

Starker

Mar 11, 2009
The High Ground of Texas
I just heard on the news that the driver was arrested for intoxicated manslaughter around 7pm this evening. Also, he has a wife and two sons.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member