M-14: America's Worst and Shortest Used Service Rifle-What went wrong by Forgotten Weapons

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    The channel host knows a thing or two million about firearms.

I didn't experience the problems he described as I qualified as rifle expert many times with M-14. What was your experiences? I was assigned the M-14 and other rifles during a transition period for the Marine Corps in 1960s-70s.

• M-14 for boot camp (1965)
    • M-1 for Infantry Training Regiment (1965)
    • .45 pistol as 106mm recoilless rifle gunner (1965-67)
    • Stoner 63 rifle test battalion (3/6) annual rifle qualification
    • M-14 for OCS/TBS (1967) and maybe twice firing M-16
    • M-16 for Vietnam (1967-68) before and after chromium coatings and change to birdcage flash hider
    • M-14 at 2d MarDiv (1969-70)
    • M-14 at MCB, 29 Palms (1970-72)
    • M-16 at 3d MarDiv (1972-73)
    • M-14 at MCB, Camp Pendleton (1973-75)
    • At last switch M-16 1st MarDiv (1975-79)
    Gun Zone Deals

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I know mine is just the semi auto version with the shortened 16” barrel, but I love my SOCOM 16. Would be more fun with a giggle switch. I also have Checkmate Industries 25rd mags, it’s a heavy beast but it packs a punch. A combat loadout with that weapon wouldn’t be light but the hate brings is significant.

I did replace the Springfield Armory spring guide at about 200 rounds with the Sadlak version as it was starting to bend. Aside from that it’s been flawless.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I know mine is just the semi auto version with the shortened 16” barrel, but I love my SOCOM 16. Would be more fun with a giggle switch. I also have Checkmate Industries 25rd mags, it’s a heavy beast but it packs a punch. A combat loadout with that weapon wouldn’t be light but the hate brings is significant.

I did replace the Springfield Armory spring guide at about 200 rounds with the Sadlak version as it was starting to bend. Aside from that it’s been flawless.
    How are those Checkmate 25 round mags working out?

I have two of the chinese copies made by Polytech. One in .308 and one in 7.62x51mm. I bought the first when It looked like I would lose the online auction and then I won. I wanted one for a match build by Warbirds because it has a harder receiver and fitted with a GI bolt was a good starting point.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    accurizing an m14 be like.png

this is all the bullshit that is needed to accurize an M14 lmao.
    the M14 is a shit rifle and people who defend it only do so with rose tinted glasses.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    We trained on the M-14 in basic back in 1968. Haven't touched an M-14 since then. Some of the trainees that were headed to Viet Nam got additional training/familiarization with the M-16. By the time I got back to my guard unit after AIT, it had been issued the M16A1.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I own 3...none of mine are "inaccurate" and my glasses are clear..lol....

A lot of folks poo pooing the M1A have never even shot one.............
    I have shot a few and I hated them, the AR10 was what god intended and I stand by that.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Speaking impaired, long haired hippie fag, telling me about weapons development 62 years ago.He needs a VW van, drive to Bolder Colorado, smoke a fatty, sing some John Denver.
    Ian "Gun Jesus" McCollum is a f'n walking encyclopedia of firearm knowledge. He literally writes books on this shit. He also shoots and competes with historic firearms and films it all for the public's benefit. Now, he chooses to sport a historic Buffalo Bill Cody/Custer look. So the f what.

1713688806940.png

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    We trained on the M-14 in basic back in 1968. Haven't touched an M-14 since then. Some of the trainees that were headed to Viet Nam got additional training/familiarization with the M-16. By the time I got back to my guard unit after AIT, it had been issued the M16A1.
    ^This (almost). In '69, I qualified with the M14 (& loved it), then "familiarized" w the M16 in AIT. But the unit still had M1s when I got back from AIT. I was still the FNG & still had to clean M1s that'd fired blanks. Ugh.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I trained all thru basic and ait with an M14 in 67 at Fort Ord.

Then one day while shooting for record, the charging handle simply fell off...

An on sight armorer 'fixed it, but along with the charging handle falling off, it was no longer zeroed...

At the range, I had always scored 'expert', all thru basic, but after the 'charging handle' incident, I only rated (barely) as a 'marksmen'...shooting an un-zeroed rifle will do that.

I'm still pissed about that.

To be fair, the rifle I was issued had been in the hands of many trainees previously to my using it, so there's that...

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Interesting video, but only got half-way through at the moment. Anyway, I’ve never shot an M-14, but I have an M1 I love to shoot. Does the M14 share the same debates and arguments on the forums as the M1 when it comes to selecting commercial .30-06 vs “Garand-safe” M2 ball? Or is it that a moot point with the M14’s redesigned gas plug?

Top Bottom