M&P blew up due to a friend's friend's lack of common sense.

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
He asks me "hey can I put the barrel in so I can shoot this one next"? I said "SURE", not anticipating that this dumb shit wouldn't match ports with ports. Something I would had figured was complete common sense. Guess not!
That is, I think, one of the biggest mistakes that more experienced folks make about those with less to no experience - that there is anything that is common sense about firearms and handling them. There is absolutely nothing, that I have ever witnessed in around 55 years since I first shot a gun, that is common sense about firearms and handling them. Even if there was something that was common sense about firearms and handling them, there is no guarantee that any given person would exercise it.

JColumbus

Well-Known
Jun 28, 2012
That is, I think, one of the biggest mistakes that more experienced folks make about those with less to no experience - that there is anything that is common sense about firearms and handling them. There is absolutely nothing, that I have ever witnessed in around 55 years since I first shot a gun, that is common sense about firearms and handling them. Even if there was something that was common sense about firearms and handling them, there is no guarantee that any given person would exercise it.
Yea, that's true. I always thought all principles transcend subject matter (square peg in square hole), but I'm finding out firearms seems to be a puzzling thing to more than I thought. Lesson learned.

Spcwolf

Apr 16, 2013
Conroe tx
I have a friend, real good guy.

he is never allowed to touch any of my guns ever again.
I was showing him one of my old revolvers, he grabbed it, and starting dry firing it like some cowboy movie. Well, I didn’t get a chance to make sure it wasn’t loaded, and he didn’t check.
He assumed it was unloaded.
it was unloaded, he and I was lucky. It was a 357 magnum. Would have went through walls and killed some one in the apartment next door.

never again.

tonelar

Aug 9, 2009
El Paso
question:
”can i put the barrel into this one...”
answer:
”no, i‘ll do it”

then there’d be no problem, boss. glad no one lost a finger.

-now he’s not a stranger after all?
-stranger or friend, you should put together your own guns.
-still unclear on why field stripping is necessary to show how ported vs non ported feels.

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
TGT Supporter
Nov 6, 2010
Waxyscratchy
I have a friend, real good guy.

he is never allowed to touch any of my guns ever again.
I was showing him one of my old revolvers, he grabbed it, and starting dry firing it like some cowboy movie. Well, I didn’t get a chance to make sure it wasn’t loaded, and he didn’t check.
He assumed it was unloaded.
it was unloaded, he and I was lucky. It was a 357 magnum. Would have went through walls and killed some one in the apartment next door.

never again.
I took this picture at SWFA years ago.

1606510698398.png

F350-6

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
May 25, 2009
I saw the original TFB post on this back a few years ago...

And, again, I'll ask, WHAT actually happened?

Do the gasses going out the ports curve around under the slide and 'cut' the frame, below? Or what?
The problem you have understanding this is because you're thinking in terms of old school, steel guns. Go grab a sig that's a modular design and see how a little hook and one pin holds the "gun" part in the plastic.

These polymer guns are engineered to withstand the rounds they are made for being fired out of the barrel in a specific manner. All the engineering and calculations are based on everything being aligned just right.

Change the direction of force a bit, and all that goes out the window. Then it's just basic physics and the path of least resistance.

The M&P barrels tilt up as the slide cycles because they have a fixed barrel link instead of rotating. Add the ported barrel directing forces against the upward movement and against the fixed link and the plastic pieces are the weak link in the equation.

Top Bottom