M1A Optic Setup - Scopes, Mounts, and Rings

Discussion in 'Optics' started by Texas1911, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I need some ideas for an optics setup on my new M1A. What are you guys running on yours?

I'd like to get a scope that is 40mm, or larger, objective with good eye relief and a low base magnification ( 3 - 6x ) and a maximum magnification around the 16 - 20x region. Has to be 1/4" MOA, I don't wanna waste my time with 2 MOA or converting metric. I'd prefer adjustable parallax.

On the mount, I'd prefer the lowest bore-to-sight length, but will take a more rigid mount if it's available.

Rings, probably going to use Millets or something similar.

I'm open to suggestions.

Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, etc. are out of my price range. Leupold, Zeiss, Super Sniper, etc. are more or less what I'm looking at price-wise.

2. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

I just sold a scope mount to Longtooth for his M1a.
    Check out Cheaper than Dirt as the have the mounts for them in the
    M1A/M14 section.

3. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    for a mount its hard to beat an ARMS #18

I have an ARMS 18 mount that works great on my M1a. I generally buy Leupold scopes and ran a LRT 3.5x10 with good results. I would have to go dig through the gun room to find the rings I was using.

4. Texas Patriot

Texas Patriot Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    +1 for the Arms 18.

Slso, you should consider the Sadlak or the Smith mount. These are all good.

Stay away from the Springfield mount and the stuff sold at CTD. Its just not that good. You don't want to scrimp a few bucks for a scope on a $1500 rifle.