• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Your Chinese sweatshop made Communist supporting shoes don't last?

Not surprised you buy them or that they don't last. Also not surprised you buy them repeatedly and expect different results.
    8.9 on the mental gymnastics. Lol

No where did I say anything but they are wide and comfortable. One could reasonably assume that's why I keep buying them.

You just made up the rest if that shit. Lol

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Just bought a two pack of Scripto BBQ or electronic lighters. Searched them all and they are made in China. Catch 22 I guess?

Attachments

• 20221221_092731.jpg
      20221221_092731.jpg
      178.3 KB · Views: 35

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    8.9 on the mental gymnastics. Lol

No where did I say anything but they are wide and comfortable. One could reasonably assume that's why I keep buying them.

You just made up the rest if that shit. Lol
    I won't even try Nikes on because I won't buy them.

There's something else out there that'll fit and be just as comfortable. Might not last any longer but that's probably going to be a common problem.

I'm pretty hard core about voting with my wallet. I'd rather do without than give many companies a dime.

But that's just me.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Up until the early 1970's, most products that were made in America were quality products, then it all went to crap. I rarely ever look for anything that is made in America any more because most of the time the quality of it sucks.
    Why pay more $$$ for an American product when the quality is no better than the same thing that's made offshore.

Blame American companies greed for ordering the cheapest made Chinese goods. China is just like everyone else, they will build a product to the quality that someone is willing to pay to have it done.
    Just look at some of the scopes that they make for several companies that run in the $500 - $1k market. They are actually pretty high quality product's.

You get what you pay for, most of the time!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Up until the early 1970's, most products that were made in America were quality products, then it all went to crap. I rarely ever look for anything that is made in America any more because most of the time the quality of it sucks.
    Why pay more $$$ for an American product when the quality is no better than the same thing that's made offshore.

Blame American companies greed for ordering the cheapest made Chinese goods. China is just like everyone else, they will build a product to the quality that someone is willing to pay to have it done.
    Just look at some of the scopes that they make for several companies that run in the $500 - $1k market. They are actually pretty high quality product's.

You get what you pay for, most of the time!
    My experience today with US made is much different from yours. Both from a personal standpoint and from an industrial standpoint.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If it was me, I'd be buying vintage while there's any still left. You can still find plenty at garage sales, ebay, craigslist, etc.

Look for brands like Walker, Blackhawk, Hein Werner (make sure it's an old one), Mac Tools, etc. Buy something old like that, restore it and/or rebuild the hydraulic cylinder if you have to. You'll end up withg something much better than most of the current production fare, and will probably last you a lifetime.

Awhile back I ended up finding a vintage Hein Werner off Craigslist for I think $50. The thing is built like a Tiger tank. ;) I've had typical current production jacks that die within 1yr, and yet this ~60y/o jack still works great.

IMO, the same logic also applies to other tools, bench vises, ratchets, etc. I would say up to the 70's or 80's, a lot of things were still built to last. By the time we reached the 90's, planned obsolescence really started to become an overarching business practice. By the 2000's, nearly everything has become disposable with a life span engineered to last only just beyond the life of the warranty.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Hhhhmmm, when I change out blades on my ZT mower, I use a 1 ton chain hoist, lift up the deck, crawl under, unbolt the blades, clean the deck of it's grass debris, oil it with a oil soddened rag...repeatedly, then re-bolt the sharpened blades and then put everything away...not fk-ing fun!

While, yes, it's a miserable job, having newly sharpened blades is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment...gotta find your fun where you can...

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Hhhhmmm, when I change out blades on my ZT mower, I use a 1 ton chain hoist, lift up the deck, crawl under, unbolt the blades, clean the deck of it's grass debris, oil it with a oil soddened rag...repeatedly, then re-bolt the sharpened blades and then put everything away...not fk-ing fun!

While, yes, it's a miserable job, having newly sharpened blades is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment...gotta find your fun where you can...
    Looking at the clean cut made by a set of sharp blades is a wonderful feeling. Ya dont notice how dull they are till ya sharpen them.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I buy what's available at the price I'm willing to pay. So yeah I've never owned a pair of Nike anything is what it is.

I've seen some Chinese who wernt junk.

There's junk and then there's junks:

1671730228103.png

China is making most all of the TVs and golf clubs today. AFAIK, they are damn good at making Taylormade, Callaway, Cleveland, PING, Titleist, "including golf balls, clothing, shoes, etc" https://evolvedgolf.com/where-are-golf-clubs-manufactured/.

I have a floor jack I bought from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's prolly Chinese made, but I only use it once a year for mounting my snow tires, and I don't put any part of my body under it. For more serious auto projects I use jack stands after getting the car/truck up.

But most of the power tools I bought from Harbor Freight last just as long as the Craftsmen drill press, band saw, etc that I bought. They have beefy frames but aren't as accurate... milling out an 80% with a Harbor Freight X-Y vise was quite a frustrating experience!!

My understanding is they (China) have to manufacture to the specs of the brand/company in order to be successful at selling production of products to U.S. companies. The big problem is that the major brands we usually associate with top quality have dropped their standards.

I wear Nike monarchs. They are wide and comfortable. They don't last a year though with out shoe goo or super glue.

I walk probably 4 miles a day in them though if my step tracker is correct. They last maybe 6 months before they are retired to yard work. When they can't be kept together with glue they go to the trash.

Nothing is made to last anymore.

The only pair of Nikes I ever bought was deeply discounted at a Big V store. This was about 25yrs ago. They were super comfy and lasted a long time.

I won't entertain the idea of buying Nike today because of their political practices, maybe their China practices too.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If it was me, I'd be buying vintage while there's any still left. You can still find plenty at garage sales, ebay, craigslist, etc.

Look for brands like Walker, Blackhawk, Hein Werner (make sure it's an old one), Mac Tools, etc. Buy something old like that, restore it and/or rebuild the hydraulic cylinder if you have to. You'll end up withg something much better than most of the current production fare, and will probably last you a lifetime.

Awhile back I ended up finding a vintage Hein Werner off Craigslist for I think $50. The thing is built like a Tiger tank. ;) I've had typical current production jacks that die within 1yr, and yet this ~60y/o jack still works great.

IMO, the same logic also applies to other tools, bench vises, ratchets, etc. I would say up to the 70's or 80's, a lot of things were still built to last. By the time we reached the 90's, planned obsolescence really started to become an overarching business practice. By the 2000's, nearly everything has become disposable with a life span engineered to last only just beyond the life of the warranty.
    I need to find out where y'all go for garage sales. Last time I tried that there were nothing at any of them other than clothes, dishes and curios.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I need to find out where y'all go for garage sales. Last time I tried that there were nothing at any of them other than clothes, dishes and curios.
    Ya gotta treat it like a hobby. Or a business. Whichever you're willing to devote more resources to.

My sis used to buy Barbie stuff at garage and estate sales and flip it for big profit. My mom didn't profit from it but she sure bought a lot of guns at garage sales over the years. And 90% of my record collection came from the same source.

The good stuff is out there. It's just not worth the time investment to find it for most people.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    China is just like everyone else, they will build a product to the quality that someone is willing to pay to have it done.
    Yes and no.

To cite an example from an industry with which I am familiar -

It's considered axiomatic among speaker companies that you can get the speakers you design and spec from Chinese manufacturers ONLY if you send some folks from the home office to oversee assembly. If you don't, as soon as they're left to their own devices Chinese manufacturers will start installing $0.10 capacitors where you had specified $2.50 capacitors but continue to charge you for the premium parts.

If you find out what's been done by tearing apart a speaker after you receive it, the Chinese will pay the difference. But make it right to begin with? Nah. That's for suckers.

And after all that, the attitude of the Chinese company will be shame that they made a mistake.

The mistake they're ashamed of, of course, was getting caught.

Ripping you off, though? That's just smart business.

Most of the crap Chinese goods I've seen look to me like the manufacturer was engaged in good business, Chinese style.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Ya gotta treat it like a hobby. Or a business. Whichever you're willing to devote more resources to.

My sis used to buy Barbie stuff at garage and estate sales and flip it for big profit. My mom didn't profit from it but she sure bought a lot of guns at garage sales over the years. And 90% of my record collection came from the same source.

The good stuff is out there. It's just not worth the time investment to find it for most people.
    Imagine that is right. I can't devote much time to it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yes and no.

To cite an example from an industry with which I am familiar -

It's considered axiomatic among speaker companies that you can get the speakers you design and spec from Chinese manufacturers ONLY if you send some folks from the home office to oversee assembly. If you don't, as soon as they're left to their own devices Chinese manufacturers will start installing $0.10 capacitors where you had specified $2.50 capacitors but continue to charge you for the premium parts.

If you find out what's been done by tearing apart a speaker after you receive it, the Chinese will pay the difference. But make it right to begin with? Nah. That's for suckers.

And after all that, the attitude of the Chinese company will be shame that they made a mistake.

The mistake they're ashamed of, of course, was getting caught.

Ripping you off, though? That's just smart business.

Most of the crap Chinese goods I've seen look to me like the manufacturer was engaged in good business, Chinese style.
    So much truth here, B.

Top Bottom