• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I need to find out where y'all go for garage sales. Last time I tried that there were nothing at any of them other than clothes, dishes and curios.
    Garage sales (mostly) are the last stop before the donation pile. Wife and I like to go to estate sales. That’s where the good stuff is. Where garage sales are selling off unwanted stuff, estate sales are liquidating all of someone’s possessions, and there is good stuff to be had.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Where garage sales are selling off unwanted stuff, estate sales are liquidating all of someone’s possessions, and there is good stuff to be had.
    Agreed. However, the different character of those two sale types means that when you find something good at a garage sale, the price will be incredibly low.

Unless the sellers are crazy and/or stupid, of course. Example - I once approached a garage sale guy and offered him $100 for the contact printer he had sitting in front of his workshop. It was a stand-up model,made of wood with lots of decorative carving. The cloth-insulated wiring and ceramic bulb sockets dated it to pre-WW2. For a contact printer, it was overbuilt and very pretty but it was still just a contact printer. The price I offered was high but I wanted it and I knew he'd jump at my offer.

Boy, was I wrong.

He blew up at me for low balling him. He began screaming about how it was a super rare prototype of a Xerox machine and was worth tens of thousands of dollars. I had real problems suppressing my laughter. Then he ordered me to leave his property and I immediately obliged him.

I imagine he or his heirs wound up breaking it up for firewood. :)

Top Bottom