• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've watched the Magnetospeed in setup and operation. Reviewing shots and changing strings seemed to function at least as simply as a standard chronograph. The LabRadar appears slightly more complicated.

I've also got some rifles I'd like to run that have a pretty abusive muzzle blast. I don't like the idea of having to set up a barrier and there's a good chance the barrier would be thrown in the the LabRadar unit.

The ability to get downrange readings is pretty nice. It would make getting a true BC much easier, but the range is fairly short and wouldn't be enough to get a good variable BC for rifle rounds.

The MagnetoSpeed was pretty simple to set up. I saw it swapped between a lot of rifles with varying barrel diameters and suppressor sizes. It picked up every shot and seemed to work really well.

I got my can pretty hot before we considered it might melt the spacer but no issue. I was a little disappointed to see the price of the adapter needed for rifles with large brakes.

I didn't notice a POI change with my rifle, but I run a relatively short (18") heavy barrel. I can see it having some effect on a longer barrel with a lighter contour. This would be annoying if it caused issues while testing ammo. I like to check velocity and grouping at the same time.

Reading the manual for one and seeing the other in use, I'd probably go with a magneto speed. If I shot more handguns I think I might prefer the LabRadar.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    The Magnetto V3 would be my second choice. You can get an adapter that attaches to rail so you don't have to attach the device to the barrel. But by the time I added that plus the phone cable, the price was close to the Labradar price. Both are good systems. Either one is better than a chrony IMO. I purchased my Labradar after selling a preban lower receiver to a guy in CT. $895. So I figured why not celebrate. My one gun investment that really paid off!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've had a magneto v3 for a few years and it works great. It does create a poi shift on some guns but not all and the groups do stay consistent so no loss for me. I've had friends with labradar that had issues picking up shots or consistently picking them up. One blew his to crap after switching from a can to a rifle with brake and didn't readjust unit to rifle spacing.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Actually it is. Once you get it positioned, it's basically setup for testing a particular rifle or pistol. You'll remember where you position the unit when you use the firearm the next time. It's similar to the Magneto since you need to remember which fitting is used for a particular rifle. You also don't always need to adjust the position when switching from one rifle to another rifle. You also don't change the Sensitivity each time either. I leave mine at Level 2. With that said, I may need to move up to Level 3 at some point if a guy decides to sit next to me with .338 Lapua. With Sensitivity, as you go up on the scale, it reduces the triggering range so the unit isn't activated by another person's shots.

I have read where some people complain it's hard to aim the unit. I've not had a problem, but I followed suggestions for taping a cut down straw on top of the unit where the sight is located. I guess that is needed since the Labradar's radar beam is narrowly focused and needs to be aimed at the target.
    If you shot suppressed and the guy next to you was shooting an unsuppressed 338 Lapua would it even work?

Top Bottom