• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I have a 20" Colt upper that I am working on, I was looking at the magpul MOE handguards and was wondering if anyone has a good experience with them? I think it would look pretty sharp, but am curious about its stability in rifle length. I love everything else magpul puts out but I haven't held or even seen one of these handguards in person.
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have a set on my carbine. They're excellent, fit every bit as tight as the standard round hand guards (if not tighter - they can be a chore to install...) and offer an excellent, positive grip.

They're slightly triangular, with the wider part at the bottom. Just what the doctor ordered to fit your hand better than a circle.

They also seem to be slightly lighter than GI style hand guards.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I have them on my 16" mid length AR. They're nice, but I wish I had a FF rail system instead. Always think heavily about what you want before you buy it, I learned that the hard way

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I have them on my 6920 upper, like the shape and don't care to mount anything on them other than maybe a light. They are sturdy, comfortable and inexpensive.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I think I probably will order one based on everyone having a good experience with them. I don't care to mount anything but maybe a forgrip on it and maybe a light and I question the stability of a rifle length free float tube so I think this should fit the bill.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    I have been wondering about the MOE's. Will they take a bolt on rail on the lower side for a foregrip or other things? Been considering getting a PSA upper with one of the MOE's on it and have been wondering.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    magpul makes rail attachments. I haven't put them on mine, seeing that I don't have anything to put on. : )

I like mine. I'm sure there are "better," but these are light, they are cheap, and they look cool (ok that last part is subjective :rolleyes:)

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have one on one of my ARs:

MP15_Oct2010.JPG

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have been wondering about the MOE's. Will they take a bolt on rail on the lower side for a foregrip or other things? Been considering getting a PSA upper with one of the MOE's on it and have been wondering.

Yes, but you can do better than putting a grip on a rail. Get a Magpul MOE vert grip and it bolts directly to the handguard, no rail needed. It's kind of "stubby", since it's meant to be used with the Magpul-approved "firehose" style of working the rifle, but it's a clean install. They also make an illumination kit for the MOE hand guard that allows you to mount a light on a short section of rail and even secures the tape switch. The illumination kit costs what the hand guard does...

BigTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Amarillo
    I just put a set on my new spikes build and I really like the feel and the clean look. The shape of the handguards seem to fit my big hands better then the standard ones. I have always been obsessed with FF rails but I wanted something different (and cheaper) this go around. No regrets so far..

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Mines aren't that tight. They do wiggle around, and it's not just upper/lower play. It's the handguards that are actually moving.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Yes, but you can do better than putting a grip on a rail. Get a Magpul MOE vert grip and it bolts directly to the handguard, no rail needed. It's kind of "stubby", since it's meant to be used with the Magpul-approved "firehose" style of working the rifle, but it's a clean install. They also make an illumination kit for the MOE hand guard that allows you to mount a light on a short section of rail and even secures the tape switch. The illumination kit costs what the hand guard does...

So, there is a way to get something on the bottom...good. I have never ever seen the bottom view and was afraid it was solid.

Actually, I'd like to get a Magpul AFG and try that out. Looks like it would be cool....ergo and doesn't stick out so much.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So, there is a way to get something on the bottom...good. I have never ever seen the bottom view and was afraid it was solid.

Actually, I'd like to get a Magpul AFG and try that out. Looks like it would be cool....ergo and doesn't stick out so much.

The AFG is nice. I didn't get it because I've got a carbine and it won't mount as far forward as the MOE vert will. MOE vert vs AFG... not sure which will protrude more. The vert doesn't protrude nearly as low as the pistol grip does.

If you want to check my rifle out sometime, I want to go shooting on Sunday. Drop me a line.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    I have a DTI H-bar carbine as well. It currently is in coon configuration...CMMG drop in .22 conv. and handle/iron sights with red dot mounted on top and Tapco vert grip. I have a lower I am considering building with a PSA 18" 1:7 upper with a mid-length gas system on it. Mid-length would get it far enough, yes?

Cool...thanks. Where do you shoot?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, a mid should get it out there a ways, but it depends on your body and shooting style.

I like to shoot at Bexar Community range out on I10, but I'll try just about any range.

Top Bottom