• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Actually the term for cows are they are ruminants, which is derived from the word ruminate. I had to look that up too!

You are very much correct. I love how rich language can be when you understand more fully what the word IS.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    As a teenager, I camped on the banks of my granddad's creek quite often. The house where my dad was raised was a few hundred yards away.
    Dad told of the big cats occasional sighting and the blood curdling screams they produced. Being an immortal teen, I listened and went on my way.
    One night, as the campfire died and I and my friend were dozing off, we heard it. Instantly wide eyed and standing, we bolted for the old farmhouse. Only one obstacle stood in our way. 5 strands of barbed wire.
    The overweight and slow lineman I called a close friend was standing on the porch of the vacant house hollering for me to hurry. I was the light and fast wide receiver. As I climbed over the fence and hauled ass to the old house, another scream from closer behind emitted from the darkness. Once inside the relative safety of a dwelling I asked , "how did you get over the fence so fast?" The fat guy answered, "I hurdled it".

Funny story aside. That cat was after us and that sound. Good Lord. That sound.
    We waited an hour or so. Went home and got a shotgun and spotlight.
    Retrieved our camping gear and went back home for the night.
    If you've ever heard a mountain lion scream, you know what I mean.

Man......I know exactly what you're talking about. I heard the same thing one evening right at dusk when I was bow hunting in central Texas. It was a still evening with no wind or noise which made it even more alarming and terrifying. After I started to breathe again, I debated whether to get out of the tree stand and walk (or run) back to my truck 500 yards away or just spend the night in the tree. Pretty quickly I decided to get down and haul ass to the truck before it got full on dark. I was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs on the way back.......constantly turning 360s as I'm making my way. Got back right at dark and about the time I'd normally be getting out of the stand, threw my shit in the back seat, jumped in and slammed the door and just sat there for awhile until I could gather myself. That scream was unlike anything I'd ever heard or have since. Didn't even know what it was until I told some buddies about it and researched it myself. Definitely the scream of a big cat.

It's the only time I've ever been really spooked in the woods except for the time I stepped right in the middle of a covey of quail while walking to my deer stand in pitch black at 5:30 in the morning. And while that scared the shit out of me, once I recovered from the shock, at least I knew there was nothing to fear.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Man......I know exactly what you're talking about. I heard the same thing one evening right at dusk when I was bow hunting in central Texas. It was a still evening with no wind or noise which made it even more alarming and terrifying. After I started to breathe again, I debated whether to get out of the tree stand and walk (or run) back to my truck 500 yards away or just spend the night in the tree. Pretty quickly I decided to get down and haul ass to the truck before it got full on dark. I was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs on the way back.......constantly turning 360s as I'm making my way. Got back right at dark and about the time I'd normally be getting out of the stand, threw my shit in the back seat, jumped in and slammed the door and just sat there for awhile until I could gather myself. That scream was unlike anything I'd ever heard or have since. Didn't even know what it was until I told some buddies about it and researched it myself. Definitely the scream of a big cat.

It's the only time I've ever been really spooked in the woods except for the time I stepped right in the middle of a covey of quail while walking to my deer stand in pitch black at 5:30 in the morning. And while that scared the shit out of me, once I recovered from the shock, at least I knew there was nothing to fear.

WT_Foxtrot,

FYI, I did the "step in a covey thing" one time (when i was a "wet behind the ears kid") & out coon-hunting about 0200 hours & nearly MESSED MY DRAWERS. = NO JOKE.
    (My Uncle thought that it was "FUNNY AS H" & teased me about how HIGH that I jumped & HOW LOUD that I yelped "for quite a spell".)

FYI, te ONLY TIME that I think that I may have jumped HIGHER was the day about 25 years ago when I stepped over a log near OLIVER LAKE & LANDED ON TOP OF a COTTONMOUTH.
    (NOPE, I did NOT get snake-bit- He took off about as fast as I did but in a different direction.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    To ALL tgt contributors,

all THAT ^^^^ Is diZZYing

dizzygirlsvids-episode-52-GIF-3b.gif

yours, me

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I love this thread.

rl96ss,

Let me give you some more BIG CAT"LOVE".= According to a friend, who is also a TMN, in FAR South Texas, another BIG MALE JAGUAR has been "caught on camera" at a strip-mall in MERCEDES, TX.

The TPWD does NOT know if we have RESIDENT Jaguars in TX or NOT, as the Cats may be ONLY "crossing the border" to HUNT.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    There's a lot the TPW don't know about what's really roaming around and where.
    I just know what I've seen and they say I couldn't have.

Vaquero,

TPWD said that there could NOT even POSSIBLY BE be a FERAL ZEBRA in NETX until one was photographed running down the main street of DAINGERFIELD very early one AM, some 5 years ago. - NOBODY knows where he/she came from (As far as I know he/she has not been PHOTOGRAPHED since then BUT "sightings" are "fairly common" in Morris County since that one morning..) but a VIDEO TAPE is difficult to refute as "evidence" of BEING there.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Getting killed by a mountain lion is actually quite rare. Excerpt:

A total of 125 attacks, 27 of which are fatal, have been documented in North America in the past 100 years. Fatal cougar attacks are extremely rare and occur much less frequently than fatal snake bites, fatal lightning strikes, or fatal bee stings. Children are particularly vulnerable.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom