• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If he hadn't already, 17 yo just fucked up his own life for sure...

Edit: Well, it would seem he had already...

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    If he hadn't already, 17 yo just fucked up his own life for sure...

Edit: Well, it would seem he had already...

quite the rap sheet. Wonder if he knows who is father is

White supremacy strikes again

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    From the article:

Witnesses told police that Orr saw a gun in Dykes’ waistline and grabbed it from his pants just before 9 a.m. on Friday. Dykes reportedly chased Orr outside and a struggle ensued before the teen shot and killed Dykes.
    Maybe it was open carry, maybe it wasn't, but I've seen plenty of concealed fatties that probably could have this happen to them as well. It's a situational awareness deal, as well as staying healthy and agile, but the second takeaway is that he probably shouldn't have chased him down and been a bit more wary of the now-lethally armed-robber. Or carry a BUG...

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Something I was taught years ago was why law enforcement officers were issued the level of concealable body armor that they wear. We were told that it was because many police officers back then were shot and often killed with their own sidearms. The body armor they issued us (yes my agencies, after the first one, issued us body armor) was at least potentially able to stop whatever rounds were in an officers handgun. Of course, that was also the reason we were required, on all of my jobs, to use a holster with a minimum of one active retention device as opposed to mere friction. That way it would be somewhat more difficult for a bad guy to get the LEO's sidearm and easier for the officer to retain. Another thing such a retention holster potentially would prevent was an LEO's weapon from flying out of the holster during a pursuit or other such activity and I saw that happen more than a few times in the field and at the range. The one I use now has a thumb lever (not a thumb snap) that is hidden from view unlike most thumb-break holsters. We were also advised to use quality holsters and to attach them to a strong belt by way of holster loops and not to use paddle or clip on holsters as they are all too often easily snatched away.

I also carry a back-up as often as I can, just in case. This might have been one of those times a retention holster and or a back-up firearm could have saved the victim's life. If the victim was waiting on a line to make a purchase when this occurred then situational awareness may have been pretty much useless. Sure it may have helped but that depends a lot upon the actions of the bad guy; if he was cool during such a situation he may have seemed like anyone else on the line or in other words as not being a threat. Career criminals can be quite cool and blend in until surprise - they make their move. So any edge you can give yourself, like a holster with a retention device more than mere friction and carrying concealed could be life savers. Also, not chasing after a guy who just stole your gun and then fighting with him might have prevented this - then again who among us knows how they are going to react to such a situation unless trained to do things a certain way. Also - who knows how this chase actually unfolded. It could have been the victim was fighting with the bad guy from the moemnt the bad guy grabbed the handgun and it moved outside until he was shot and not have been as it seems that the bad guy was already making his get away and was outside befoore the victim chased him. Let's face it, eye witness testimony is often the worst type of testimony.

Asfor training, even with excellent training and lots of practice under varying scenarios, you can never know for sure how you will react and then take action (as opposed to merely reacting) during such a situation. You may think you know right now but thinking is not knowing with certainty. Training though kicks in under such conditions in the great majority of cases, at least if you were well trained and practiced what you were taught over and over again to be prepared so you are well advised to get at least some confrontational type training including firearms retention and firearms takeaway techniques.

Hopefully, if they got the right guy, the maggot will be convicted and get the death penalty.

RIP Brian Dykes

Last edited:
    Top Bottom