• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Is Taiwan really comparable to the United States in both terms of culture and demographics?

South Korea did a good job too but what they had to do to get there is a little terrifying in terms of curtailing personal freedoms.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    You are right. I realized that when double checking my info that they did preside over some judicial cases as well. I edited my post but got caught. :)
    I get caught all the time but only one over night jail stint. 1st & only offense, DWI @ '85.

Glad you're back, don't bitch slap peeps, mkay?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Taiwan has one of the fewest number of cases in the world, along with one of the fewest number of deaths. There’s a reason for this - they were prepared.

Everyone wears masks there, they have thermal screening of everyone entering the country and they have a nationalized healthcare system that is fine tuned for responses against pandemics.

Why we don’t learn from them is beyond me.
    Many factors make up the differences between Taiwan and the U.S. Take the population density, Taiwan has approx. 1,680 people per square mile, while the hardest hit city in the U.S. (New York) has 26,403 people per square mile.

Another factor is the location. Heat and humidity is said to help fight this virus, and Taiwan being in the tropics has an advantage in that respect.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Excuse my ignorance on how Texas does things - but why the hell is a judge giving orders to an entire county and making policy? Judges are supposed to rule on individual cases before them, not acting as chief executives of the jurisdiction in which they preside. Do Texas counties not have county commissions / commissioners? My pops lives in Tomball and has nothing good to say about Hidalgo. The nicest thing he's said about her is that she's an anchor baby to a couple illegals. I'm trying to wrap my head around how she can be handing out executive orders like she has the constitutional authority, or the title to do so? Legislative, Executive, and Judiciary are all supposed to be distinct branches of government...
    Every county in Texas is run by the County Judge and the four County Commissioners who, together for the Commissioners Court. They are the county executives.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Dude. The HPOU doesn't work for Lina Hidalgo. The union is absolutely free to tell her to pound sand.
    I never said they did; I never said they shouldn't. Was I wrong that Gamaldi was eluding to more than his written statement?

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    No worries. Not all county judges exercise all powers, by choice or by law. It’s a strange beast we have.
    A lot can depend upon whether the County Judge is or is not and attorney and further, whether the County is more urban or rural. The more rural counties tend not to have the plethora of dedicated courts for juvenile, probate, family law type stuff.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I never said they did; I never said they shouldn't. Was I wrong that Gamaldi was eluding to more than his written statement?
    Of course he was alluding to more . . . but you also asked something like "how can he get away with this" or "he'll get called out about [this] by his own" or somesuch. He's speaking on behalf of the union when he makes such statements and even his own HPD bosses leave him alone (for the most part) when he's speaking as the union rep. But no matter how Lina might feel about it, it makes no difference whatsoever, as she has NO authority over him or any of the HPD officers.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    diesel1959, chill out; read my posts more carefully, I don't support tyranny and do support LEO. :)

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I have limited my mask usage to those situations that demand them. I've ordered some reusable masks & filters but my Chinese-made masks are on back-order until late June. The locally-available Chinese-made masks are going for about $20 for $3 masks. I will not pay scalpers prices for the same junk masks. The few single use masks are cost at least twice what they did last month.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I have limited my mask usage to those situations that demand them. I've ordered some reusable masks & filters but my Chinese-made masks are on back-order until late June. The locally-available Chinese-made masks are going for about $20 for $3 masks. I will not pay scalpers prices for the same junk masks. The few single use masks are cost at least twice what they did last month.
    sounds like the kind of thing the AG should be interested in.

Markbo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Tomball, Tx
    I made my own mask out of a blue shop towel. Cost $0. Read that these are the best of all the home made masks. And I live in Harris county. **** 'em. I go out with one in my pocket just in case Krogers or Wal-Mart demand it. So far so good.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom