• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    There is no manufactured home that appreciates, if that matters to you. I’d look into a barndominium instead; you’ll have much more options both internally and externally at a price that you can control; interior finishing is as budget friendly as you like.

There’s truth here. Our first home was a metal house/barndominium purchased in ‘96. We invested about $45k on remodels & upgrades over the years. In 2016 we sold it for 58% more than we paid including the remodel. That won’t happen with a manufactured home. That being said, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a manufactured home under the right circumstances or situation.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Simple question.... how much you wanna spend?
    50k but the wife wants to spend 150k. Joking aside from the quality I see, no reason to be into a manufactured home beyond 110k. Especially from the points made in this thread.

her taste in living puts us at 145-165k. For that I know I could get something built on a slab.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    50k but the wife wants to spend 150k. Joking aside from the quality I see, no reason to be into a manufactured home beyond 110k. Especially from the points made in this thread.

her taste in living puts us at 145-165k. For that I know I could get something built on a slab.
    All I can say... don't under estimate the importance of the nest to a woman. Make sure she happy with the end result.... or it will come back to haunt you.

Slab with metal house is very durable and zero maintenance. If you go modular... can you opt for a metal roof?

Your property is very pretty. I'd hate to see something that didn't compliment it.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Couple of tent stakes and D.O.N.E. !!!

1602082941771.png

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    All I can say... don't under estimate the importance of the nest to a woman. Make sure she happy with the end result.... or it will come back to haunt you.

Slab with metal house is very durable and zero maintenance. If you go modular... can you opt for a metal roof?

Your property is very pretty. I'd hate to see something that didn't compliment it.
    I hear ya. I’m sure I can get metal roofing on.

I found a business online that does new home loans. My credit score is over 800 with two of the big three credit reporters. I’m feeling confident.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hear ya. I’m sure I can get metal roofing on.

I found a business online that does new home loans. My credit score is over 800 with two of the big three credit reporters. I’m feeling confident.
    Yeah man... that's a good number. That's good enough to let a lenders fight for your interest money.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    SamF, let me throw out something else to give some thought to on this decision. That area where your land is located, and I assume where the home would be, is well known for tornado's.

A manufactured home might not be the best option in the matter of safety for you and your family. Might be a point to bring up with your wife.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I bought a manufactured home and LOVE it!
    Things to look for:
    1. 2X6 exterior walls. NOT NEGOTIABLE!
    2. Do a perimeter foundation. The 5-6'trenches' type is not stable. Have the 'trenches' connected like a ladder, and a complete perimeter of the home.
    3. Use cement board and treated lumber for the skirting. I also made many panels removable for storage and access.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    SamF, let me throw out something else to give some thought to on this decision. That area where your land is located, and I assume where the home would be, is well known for tornado's.

A manufactured home might not be the best option in the matter of safety for you and your family. Might be a point to bring up with your wife.
    Can’t argue with that. For the short few years I have been in Texas I have payed attention to tornado patterns. Tornadohq for example. I know folks, my in laws included, who have a manufactured home and never been hit. Appears to be a safe area. Still...I can’t help but think about what if.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    While I was still up yonder in the midwest I hooked up with this waitress from a truck stop. She was pretty hot & was not judgmental of my then unemployed ass. It wasn't a serious relationship, rather mostly hot sex. Once while at her trailer laying pipe the tornado warnings started sounding. Funny how quick a trailer rocking & creaking under a chick your rocking & creaking can change ones little heads thinking! I was less freaked out the time her little girl said hi daddy, while in the throws of passion. I really remember the window was a real bitch to get out off.

PeoplePhobic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Longview
    I knew a guy who built a house out of one of the biggest shed things that you'd get from home depot or lowes. That was squarely into "tiny house" territory. It had the advantage of having a roof and stuff and he was able to work on it and sort of camp out in there immediately. I don't think one could live in it and have contractors working on it as it was just too small for that.

I think the barndominium thing is interesting. It would probably be big enough to camp out in and stuff while people work on it. Like mobile homes and stuff you're going to have to decide on a floor plan going in. You might want to look into mobile and modular homes just to get some floor plans from them that you could adapt to a barndominium. Getting to walk through some different floor plans can be very helpful. You could live in it loft style for a while if you had to. (maybe start with the bathrooms lol). I do like industrial style and concrete floors.

There was a time when I lived in NY that if you're mobile home wasn't permanently attached and had a trailer under it you could get out of paying property taxes on it. People would just put whatever cheap trailer they could under them whether it could hold it or not or even just a fake axle and wheels and put blocks under it and then some vinyl skirting around and then they'd only have to pay taxes on the land. They did away with this in 2017 but that was the main reason people would use them up there (other than not having a long enough season to build stuff). Now you even have to pay property tax on a travel trailer up there. I don't know if there are any benefits like that down here but if there are it might be something to consider.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Can’t argue with that. For the short few years I have been in Texas I have payed attention to tornado patterns. Tornadohq for example. I know folks, my in laws included, who have a manufactured home and never been hit. Appears to be a safe area. Still...I can’t help but think about what if.
    You dont prep for tornados like that. You live in tornado alley so plan on one. Besides a supercell hail storm will flat out blow a house apart. Grapefruit size hail will go from the roof to the foundation of a 2 story house and explode like a grenade when it hits.

PeoplePhobic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Longview
    You dont prep for tornados like that. You live in tornado alley so plan on one. Besides a supercell hail storm will flat out blow a house apart. Grapefruit size hail will go from the roof to the foundation of a 2 story house and explode like a grenade when it hits.

One could always go full-on-mole-person-doomsday-prepper and build underground using those shipping containers.

Top Bottom