• ...and so much more!
  • Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I have a two part solution:
    - american employers need to stop hiring illegals (cheap labor in the end is not cheap)... force americans on welfare who wont find a job to fill the jobs vacated by the illegals...so what if they get off their lazy ass and wash dishes, pick crops, etc...hard work is good for the soul...
    - legalize/tax at least marijuana and take income away from illegal activity....

^^^what he said. Damn good idea. Of course it'll never happen that way...but it would definitely solve alot of problems.
    Lynx Defense

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I have a two part solution:
    - american employers need to stop hiring illegals (cheap labor in the end is not cheap)... force americans on welfare who wont find a job to fill the jobs vacated by the illegals...so what if they get off their lazy ass and wash dishes, pick crops, etc...hard work is good for the soul...
    - legalize/tax at least marijuana and take income away from illegal activity....

This guy right here has a great idea. ^^^

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    As of now the cartels control the supply and making it legal here won't change that. At least not easily.
    Bullshit. Most drugs are grown. Its not some fucking magic. The reason they cost so much is the.barrier from manufacturer to market. Legalizing drugs would fix that. Do you truly believe that manufacturing of drugs is that expensive?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Bullshit. Most drugs are grown. Its not some fucking magic. The reason they cost so much is the.barrier from manufacturer to market. Legalizing drugs would fix that. Do you truly believe that manufacturing of drugs is that expensive?

Cocaine production is controlled by the cartels. They aren't going to give it up easily. Marijuana could be grown in the US and the sell could be controlled by the government.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston

I've ALWAYS said that marijuana should be legal. Simply because of the fact that it's a fucking plant, is not an addictive drugs, and has very little harmful side effects. But it is still illegal because of it's "harmful effects". Which is ironic because alcohol and tobacco have some pretty damn harmful effects as well. Much more so than marijuana in fact. Yet they're still legal. For the record I don't smoke pot, I just don't like being under the influence of ANYTHING. I don't even drink, at all. Plus I'm a law abiding citizen so even if I did "like" it, I'd probably reluctantly abstain because I don't want to be a criminal...but I still feel it's prohibition is a crock of shit.

Now on the cartel situation, it's true...marijuana prohibition is having the same effect as alcohol prohibition did....complete chaos and empowerment of criminals. I'd say the bulk of the cartel's profits comes from Americans buying marijuana smuggled in from Mexico. Although I'll admit I've seen more and more cases of local pot growers being busted with elaborate pot gardens, and apparently VERY high grade marijuana (much higher than the bulk stuff that comes in from Mexico).

I think if they legalized it, and let it be sold at a decent price, it would put a serious dent in the cartel's business. But my personal theory on why that is not happening, and probably never will is this:

1. If marijuana is legalized, it could become a booming industry. But the possibility of people learning to grow their own, meaning not spend $$$ to get it...is pretty damn high. And we just couldn't have people growing and consuming a product on their own, without paying taxes to the government, now could we? Kinda like the big government movements against raw milk, people growing their own vegetables...(I've read quite a few stories about people being fined heavily for growing their own vegetables...mostly in California..not sure of the details of that but basically the government does not like the idea of their "subjects" being self sufficient....)

2. From what a high ranking Sinaloa cartel member who happens to be in US custody right now says....the US government are the ones facilitating the entire underground drug trade themselves. DEA for example, the ones who's job it is to stop drugs from coming across the border, and arrest and prosecute those committing illegal drug crimes....would be without a job if there were no drug trade. So they are actually the ones "managing" the drug trade. Of course they make a few busts here and there, but what it boils down to is who gives them the most money to avoid arrest and prosecution...

Some shady ass shit going on in this country, that's for sure. But many honest, hardworking Mexicans are being victimized BIGTIME, and that's something alot of people here don't realize.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    If Mexico really wanted to fix the problem they would have let us roll the Army or the Marines in by now, the Mexican government gets way to many kick backs from the cartels to let anything happen to them. I surprised we haven't seen a cartel with a Blackhawk by now.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Breaking news, it was Mexican Federal Police that shot up the Americans.

Mexican Federal Police attack U.S. diplomatic vehicle - CNN.com

Well that just throws a whole new twist to the story. Idk what the hell these guys were thinking...or what this was all about...starting to wonder if these diplomats were in on the drug trading themselves (because the federal police sure as hell are)....or if it was just a vendetta against Americans in general by Mexican federales.....or if the American diplomats were AGAINST drug cartels, and were targeted by the federal police (thugs with badges and AK-47's) because of it... Either way, it was a really bad decision on their (the shooters') part. It would be pretty depressing around this house if relations between Mexico and the USA were strained.

I, like many others, feel that if Mexico REALLY wanted to get the drug cartels under control....they'd have asked for help...like Colombia did with Escobar....but they haven't, and that's strange to me...

Mentioning American military going into Mexico is pretty much not even permitted in my house...my wife thinks that would be chaos, the border would be closed (meaning she'd not be able to see her family), and that American fighter pilots would be flying through Mexico, dropping bombs like they do in Afganistan (or iraq, vietnam, wherever else). I tried to tell her that's not what would happen, they'd be strategically targeting drug kingpins, who likely act in rural areas as it is...but wouldn't just go through shooting any and every Mexican they see..kinda like they don't go shooting every American they see when raiding drug neighborhoods here....she didn't seem to reassured when I told her that....we just don't talk about this stuff here...I did just forward the CNN link to her though.

I stopped going down to Monterrey to visit, 2 years ago...and it looks like it may be a long time till I go back.

We'll see what comes of this...it doesn't look good though.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ...believe me, I know plenty of VERY trustworthy and peaceful Mexicans.
    Too peaceful if you ask me. Someone needs to send crate full of M2s and M16s with a Gonzales flag and note that says, "Dear Mexico, We've kicked tyrants out of our country in the past; you can too. Love, Texas." to some fed up little town down there. It wouldn't do any good however because the moral majority down there would be too afraid to touch the weapons and the cartels would just seize them.

I've ALWAYS said that marijuana should be legal. Simply because of the fact that it's a fucking plant, is not an addictive drugs, and has very little harmful side effects. But it is still illegal because of it's "harmful effects".
    You don't know that many pot heads do you? It is addictive and yes prolonged use does cause permanent changes in brain witch effect mood and behavior (stoners aren't dangerous, just annoying). That said, the government has no business regulating it the way that is does. If they want to tax it, fine... but we all know that prohibitions are very costly and do not work. I am certainly tired of paying for this war on drugs.

Like I said, an act of war.
    Agreed, but so was this and any of the other incidences similar to it: Texas border standoff with Mexican military
    Nothing is ever done about it.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Too peaceful if you ask me. Someone needs to send crate full of M2s and M16s with a Gonzales flag and note that says, "Dear Mexico, We've kicked tyrants out of our country in the past; you can too. Love, Texas." to some fed up little town down there. It wouldn't do any good however because the moral majority down there would be too afraid to touch the weapons and the cartels would just seize them.

True. They have zero fight in them. Ok, maybe not "zero", but definitely very little.

You don't know that many pot heads do you? It is addictive and yes prolonged use does cause permanent changes in brain witch effect mood and behavior (stoners aren't dangerous, just annoying). That said, the government has no business regulating it the way that is does. If they want to tax it, fine... but we all know that prohibitions are very costly and do not work. I am certainly tired of paying for this war on drugs.

I know quite a few potheads actually. (I'm a college student...for one thing...but have known potheads all my life). They don't bother me, they mind their own business, and are actually pretty healthy people. Many of them VERY successful and have been smoking weed their whole lives.

Funny Story...I know this one guy who is a math tutor.. Actually he does private tutoring. Mathematical genius...seriously. He has a degree in mathematics and engineering, and can sit there and work VERY complex high level calculus problems with very little effort. He doesn't even work, he makes enough $$$ tutoring math students (yeah I've given this guy alot of business) because he's just that damn smart. Well anyway, last time I talked to him he told me he smokes pot every day, and that nearly every time he's ever tutored me (or anyone else), he's stoned out of his mind. I thought that was pretty funny. He said it helps him concentrate. Ha....not many people believe that story but it is definitely true. I'd still rather pay this guy to tutor me than to go to the tutoring center at U of H (that I've already paid for), because I get so much further ahead in a 3 hour session with him, than sitting in the U of H tutoring center all damn day.

I know quite a few alcoholics too. While some might be successful, they are obnoxious for the most part. And definitely not healthy. Alcohol is a much more addictive and dangerous substance than is marijuana. At least from the effects I've seen first hand. When it comes down to it, I can't honestly say I've ever seen marijuana by itself, ruin someone's entire life.

I have, definitely, seen alcohol completely destroy people's lives, and the lives of their entire family. Just sayin' it's double standard if I've ever seen one, actually ass backwards if you think about it. I don't drink, at all, or do drugs, at all, so I could care less whats legal and whats not, but I'll still call it like I see it. And yeah...the fact that not only is a substance less harmful than alcohol and tobacco illegal, just because the fed gov is worried that people may grow it themselves instead of forking over trillions of dollars into their pockets....but actually trillions of dollars of taxpayer money is being wasted trying to fight a losing war on ALL drugs. I can tell you this much...the bulk of the cartel's money comes from marijuana sales...cocaine is 2nd.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sure, I know quite a few functional addicts. It's not really an issue until they become dysfunctional. Addicts are still annoying no matter what their vise is...

I have seen first hand the behavioral changes brought on by prolonged usage of pot. One of my oldest friends went from smoking maybe once a month when he was a teenager to smoking it everyday in his 20's. He has a decent job and pays his bills, but he just has no damn drive to do anything anymore. The guy used to be a lot of fun. Kinda sad, but it's his choice.

Bottom line is that anything is bad in excess, but you should have the choice of doing whatever you want right up until the point where you hurt someone. Prohibitions never work and only create a black market that does more harm than "keeping it off the streets" ever will.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Addicts are still annoying no matter what their vise is...

You would just love my cousin. Ha! Not really. He is fresh out of the penn and packing his shit for his next visit already. Good guy when he's sober though....problem is he's never sober. Annoys the ever living F out of me. So yeah...you're right....addicts are definitely annoying. Especially when they choose getting high (or drunk...or drunk AND high) over building a relationship with family members that disowned them years ago. Good points....

As for prohibition....when Ron Paul was proposing an end to the war on drugs...I was kinda (and still am kinda) skeptical about lifting prohibitions on truly dangerous and deadly substances like cocaine, and methamphetamine, and heroin. I don't know of that would work out for the better, or make it 10 times worse. Marijuana, I don't think it would make much of a difference. The thing is, you can put as many restrictions as you want on something....but if it is a plant that someone can easily grow in their living room...and requires no type of synthesizing afterwards, (like cocaine would from the coca leaf to the trash people snort up their noses every day), there's a point to where people are just gonna do what they want, regardless of what anyone says.

And let's just say that all drugs were legalized....the difference is.....if someone told me they were a cocaine user...even if it were legal....I'd keep my distance from them, and probably wouldn't trust them any further than I could throw them. Because cocaine is truly a product of the devil, and is pure poison that eats away at the soul of its users.

But if someone told me they smoked a little pot...I honestly wouldn't care. No more than I would if they told me they had a few beers after work every night.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You would just love my cousin. Ha! Not really. He is fresh out of the penn and packing his shit for his next visit already. Good guy when he's sober though....problem is he's never sober. Annoys the ever living F out of me. So yeah...you're right....addicts are definitely annoying. Especially when they choose getting high (or drunk...or drunk AND high) over building a relationship with family members that disowned them years ago. Good points....

As for prohibition....when Ron Paul was proposing an end to the war on drugs...I was kinda (and still am kinda) skeptical about lifting prohibitions on truly dangerous and deadly substances like cocaine, and methamphetamine, and heroin. I don't know of that would work out for the better, or make it 10 times worse. Marijuana, I don't think it would make much of a difference. The thing is, you can put as many restrictions as you want on something....but if it is a plant that someone can easily grow in their living room...and requires no type of synthesizing afterwards, (like cocaine would from the coca leaf to the trash people snort up their noses every day), there's a point to where people are just gonna do what they want, regardless of what anyone says.

And let's just say that all drugs were legalized....the difference is.....if someone told me they were a cocaine user...even if it were legal....I'd keep my distance from them, and probably wouldn't trust them any further than I could throw them. Because cocaine is truly a product of the devil, and is pure poison that eats away at the soul of its users.

But if someone told me they smoked a little pot...I honestly wouldn't care. No more than I would if they told me they had a few beers after work every night.

I agree. I attended classes at the VA for PTSD related crap. There was hundreds of vets that were having problems with alcohol to heroin. The help these guys needed was not thrown in jail. That does no good. Substance abuse requires medical intervention.

If everyone in the USA was thrown in prison. Then the only people that would be buying drugs would be the guards. People are going to do what they want.

There has NEVER been a recorded society that didnt use drugs. It's the human condition. Like it or not. Those that drink coffee to wake up. Are drug users all the same.

It would surprise many people that the most demonized drugs are quite safe. Some are poison. Read deep on heroin. The devil of them all. It's biggest drawback is addiction. It's up there with nicotine. In a pure form it has little danger to the health. These are not my words. I learned this at a private college.

But add to heroin the drug dealer. The unregulated use of it(overdose). The impure forms it takes before it gets to the end user....all this adds up to the real health hazards of the drug. Not the drug in pure form.

So the debates rises.....Lock people up for using it. Let people die from using bad forms. Let people die from unregulated overuse.

OR.....legalize it. Make it available to those that want it. In it's safest form. Educate people that the use of it will lead to addiction. Painful withdraws. The same we do for nicotine.

"But people everywhere will start using it!!!!" This is total bullshit. Why? Because.... We have free will. It's a choice. It's our choice. I don't drink Robitussin(available at every walgreens in the country). Or sniff gold paint from Lowes. Why? Cause I don't want to.....again free will. Anybody can get anything they want. They don't cause......FREE WILL

As for marijuana? It is plain stupid to make it illegal. A plant that has been grown since the dawn of man. Not one single recorded case of overdose. Thousands of studies proving it to be safer then alcohol. How straight retarded is to have legal solvent produced from sugar and grain available EVERYWHERE. A substance that has been proven to kill you dead as shit. Leads to addiction. And destroys your life with over usage? But not sale a safer alternative? Unreal. Be honest with yourself. If weed was next to beer at the 7/11, what choice would you make? Liver killing alcohol? Or a plant with no health hazards?

If we legalize the drugs. It's also simple economics. We would cut the legs out from under the drug dealers. Their market would crash. Their customers wouldn't need them anymore.

The war on drugs is stupid.

Brad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    There are four entities that can change the marijuana laws in the U.S., [SIZE=-1]Altria, Reynolds American, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Lorillard[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]and Liggett[/SIZE].

When they feel the time is right, they will show that they already have the resources in place to produce a quality controlled product, package it, retail network to distribute it, trained sales system that will protect sales from minors, and most importantly of all a previously set in place tax collection and reporting system that will provide a huge untapped source of revenue. Wait for budget cuts to start drastically affecting the agencies manpower that are involved in the war on drugs and see what happens.

Not that I am for the legalization, I don't trust pot heads to make sound decisions. It's one thing to sit on your couch and drink alcohol, your consumption does not physically affect anyone else around you. It's another to sit there smoking pot and have a developing child nearby who is effected by the smoke and the drug it contains. I can see the problem being much greater in a car, where if a passenger is drinking alcohol there little concern for the driver becoming impaired (not taking into account the current legalities of that issue), totally different with pot. Everyone I know that smokes it, and many that don't smoke it claim no physical dangers, so how can we trust these folks not to allow their children access or exposure?? The crap we and our kids are eating today has caused massive increases in problems, we don't need any more to degrade the intelligence and health of our future generations.

I could not care less what consenting adults do behind closed doors, but if it hurts those that are not mature or capable of making an intelligent choice about it, I have a problem with that.

I think it's coming, and hope we can survive it.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/he...ana-linked-to-low-iq-in-teenagers-study-says/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...ly-as-a-teen-may-lower-iq-scores-as-an-adult/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/teen-pot-use-iq_n_1834392.html

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    It's one thing to sit on your couch and drink alcohol, your consumption does not physically affect anyone else around you. It's another to sit there smoking pot and have a developing child nearby who is effected by the smoke and the drug it contains. I can see the problem being much greater in a car, where if a passenger is drinking alcohol there little concern for the driver becoming impaired (not taking into account the current legalities of that issue), totally different with pot.

I beg to differ....but don't really feel like debating it, so I'll just leave it at this....

1. 2nd hand marijuana smoke - no bueno. Definitely not good for a developing child. People shouldn't smoke around kids....period.

2. All drugs will impair driving. Alcohol has a significant affect on someone's driving. Not saying smoking marijuana and driving is a "good" thing, but I bet if you did a test of some kind (like those they do when they give people drinks and have them drive on a test course to see how much they are impaired), and had someone sit around and smoke pot all day, and another person sit around and drink wine all day....the one drinking would do MUCH worse in the test.

Still....driving under the influence of any substance, legal or illegal...is bad news.

And this:

We'll survive. I just don't think that if they legalized marijuana, it would be detrimental to our survival as a people. I'd say we have much bigger problems on our hands. I don't think it would make much of a difference at all. The only difference is people would stop going to jail for it.

Heroin....Cocaine...that's a different story. And TheDan, you might be right about heroin's worst effect (in its purest form), being addiction....but opioid addiction is hands down the hardest addiction to overcome...alcohol is just as bad... It's physical AND psychological, and few people ever truly "kick" an opiate addiction for life. It literally "calls their name". (I've heard junkies say that, I used to have a friend who worked at a homeless shelter in New Orleans).

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The medical in cali and colo haven't really made a impact that I know of.
    No arrest maybe but it will get you fired if you pee hot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    There are four entities that can change the marijuana laws in the U.S., [SIZE=-1]Altria, Reynolds American, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Lorillard[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]and Liggett[/SIZE].

When they feel the time is right, they will show that they already have the resources in place to produce a quality controlled product, package it, retail network to distribute it, trained sales system that will protect sales from minors, and most importantly of all a previously set in place tax collection and reporting system that will provide a huge untapped source of revenue. Wait for budget cuts to start drastically affecting the agencies manpower that are involved in the war on drugs and see what happens.

Not that I am for the legalization, I don't trust pot heads to make sound decisions. It's one thing to sit on your couch and drink alcohol, your consumption does not physically affect anyone else around you. It's another to sit there smoking pot and have a developing child nearby who is effected by the smoke and the drug it contains. I can see the problem being much greater in a car, where if a passenger is drinking alcohol there little concern for the driver becoming impaired (not taking into account the current legalities of that issue), totally different with pot. Everyone I know that smokes it, and many that don't smoke it claim no physical dangers, so how can we trust these folks not to allow their children access or exposure?? The crap we and our kids are eating today has caused massive increases in problems, we don't need any more to degrade the intelligence and health of our future generations.

I could not care less what consenting adults do behind closed doors, but if it hurts those that are not mature or capable of making an intelligent choice about it, I have a problem with that.

Marijuana Linked to Low IQ in Teenagers, Study Says | Fox News Latino
    Smoking marijuana regularly as a teen may lower IQ scores as an adult - HealthPop - CBS News
    Teen Pot Users Risk Long-Term IQ Drop, Study Says

The younger generation....

We have all been the dumb teen. Those acts that were taboo, we sought. The excitement. Sneaking one of dads beer. Smoking a cig. Smoking a joint.

Without the taboo, the excitement isn't there. It has been shown that people, who had not be told, that the drug they were ingesting was suppose to feel good or bad. Didn't think it was something to repeatedly try after they used it. However, "smoke this or drink this, it makes you feel good"...led to the user believing the feelings were in fact "good".

My son started smoking weed. I know that the more I said not to, the more he would rebel into do it. So, I told him he could smoke all he wanted. The same with alcohol. His choice was not determined by my influence. His choice was determined by the excitement of using. I offered safe guidance. I explained to him that I had no problem with him using those two drugs. However, I explained to him the dangers of using the two. And the increased danger of using drugs outside the two. I took away the excitement.

At the time we had meth heads down the road. He watch. We had people snorting cocaine down the road. He watched. He had friends using prescription drugs. He watched.

He grew tired of weed. He now drinks only socially. he never used anything beyond weed or alcohol. He now owns his own software developing company in Austin. With applications being looked at by the military.

The influence of drugs was not the problem. It was the guidance on the drugs that kept him straight. Both my parents were BAD alcoholics. BAD. I watched this everyday till the day they died. Beer everyday, whiskey on the weekends. Dad drunk and mean. Mom drunk and stupid.

Here's the kicker. I don't drink. I hate alcohol. I'm 40 now. Ive drank maybe 30 beers my entire life. My parents didn't influence me. They made me not want to do it.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If you don't want to debate it, don't bring it up or address the issue.

I think you missed my point. So I will put it simpler.

If I sit on the couch and have a single glass of wine, a child that is sitting next to me will have no physical impairment due to that wine. There is zero chance that any drug contained in that wine will enter their system. You can not say the same thing about smoking pot or tobacco. The issue with the car is the same, a single person smoking it will produce a internal physical effect on the others due to the second hand smoke. I've been to enough concerts and festivals to have first hand knowledge of that, LOL.

I am talking about getting the drug into someone else's system that is not actively partaking in the vice.
    (I know where you want to go about all the evil effects of alcoholism on those around it etc. but not the point I am trying to make.)

Pointless to discuss whether or not it is better or worse than alcohol, or it's effects since there are (like alcohol) different for a variety of reasons in different people. I don't want people driving drunk on the highways I share with them, and I don't want people high driving on those same roads with me either, no matter how well you think you can do it. Right now I don't think we have sobriety tests that can detect or accurately measure that substance as well as they do alcohol. That leads back to the officer's judgement which is fallible, and I definitely don't want to solely base the burden of proof on LEO.

Quick question for you, may be too personal if so, ignore it. I understand. Would you, or anyone in your circle of friends, smoke pot around a minor???

Top Bottom