Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    Krav Maga student-current
    Green Belt in Tae Kwon Do-been a few years

Learned to box as a kid as well
    started off with kung fu at 5 or 6

How did you like kung fu? When I was tournament fighting in New England I always loved getting paired up with King Fu fighters, mostly because they always seemed to be at a distinct disadvantage in traditional karate point tournaments.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    How did you like kung fu? When I was tournament fighting in New England I always loved getting paired up with King Fu fighters, mostly because they always seemed to be at a distinct disadvantage in traditional karate point tournaments.
    I dont remember much I was young when i started it did it for about 2 years, it gave me good fundamentals though.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    I've been looking into a regular facility for a martial arts course. I teach Krav Maga Law Enforcement tactics and looking into Blauer Spear System as an instructor next for more tools. But, would like to learn more for a more solid foundation in a single larger field for a lack of better term.

By "single larger field" do you mean larger spectrum of combat or larger market?

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    OK Skip here is the schedule for the week (same week to week) If you get a day you want to go let me know. depends on my work schedule.

Mon 730-830
    Tues 7-8pm
    Wed noon to 1pm
    Wed 730-830pm
    Thu 630-730pm
    Fri 1030am-1130am
    Sat 1030-1130

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If I remember correctly, I'm an orange belt in Karate. I started taking it when I was a tween and then quit once I discovered girls

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Got a purple belt in Karate as a kid and stopped going because I knew it was all shit. Studied Jeet Kune Do as a teen and have no need for anything else. It's truly the best of everything. I've used it very effectively on a few occasions.

If someone told me the methods I use to save my ass were developed by a movie star, I'd have said they were full of shit, but here I am and it really is an excellent system.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    For a brief amount of time I studied Pukulan Pentjak Silat, with Eric Cobb DC., he is one of the instructors in the vid below. I add a link as most folks are not familiar with this art. I really enjoyed the knife fighting aspect of it. I wish I could find someone around here that teaches this.

‪Pukulan Pentjak Silat‬‏ - YouTube.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    So, small community of fighters here eh? I was hoping there were more of us whackos.

I dabbled in Japanese and Korean Karate but felt they were training me to dance. I was a street rat and didn't want discipline, honor, duty and service that you get from sport Karate. I especially hated being taught how to pull a punch and how NOT to connect. Frankly, I just needed help in whipping ass and my life (and lifestyle) depended on it!

I had a large number of friends who were black and brown belts and a friend who had a brown belt in Judo. Mathew taught me about getting the opponents balance and we did foot sweeps and over the shoulder tosses until I was bloody and black & blue. I worked out with those guys for several years and the ass whippin' I took was extremely educational! After a while, you figure out how it's done and get pretty good at brawling. I do NOT recommend that training for the faint of heart. It's brutal but very effective! We fought in street clothes and athletic shoes and if you got knocked down, you hit the ground hard. The Judo was done on mats (thank God!) but the rest was on turf.

Then I went to heavy body bags and learned to hit hard! You learn to hit by hitting.....not by pulling punches.

I mean no disrespect to you or to sport Karate. It just wasn't what I needed and honor, self discipline and gentle nature came later as I got older. It took a lifetime to learn what you guys teach in classes but I finally arrived at that sweet spot: the balance between skill/self confidence and humility.

Flash

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    For a brief amount of time I studied Pukulan Pentjak Silat, with Eric Cobb DC., he is one of the instructors in the vid below. I add a link as most folks are not familiar with this art. I really enjoyed the knife fighting aspect of it. I wish I could find someone around here that teaches this.

‪Pukulan Pentjak Silat‬‏ - YouTube.

Ive heard of it before though never knew anyone who trained it. There is a knife system taught in Phlugerville, PM if you want details.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Then I went to heavy body bags and learned to hit hard! You learn to hit by hitting.....not by pulling punches.

It's pretty common for heavy-bag newbies to sprain or even break their wrists going overboard on their punches. Accidentally rolling your wrist inward across the bag due to poor technique combined with a full-force punch is a recipe for disaster.

I'd actually say there's no substitute for experience with any aspect of self-defense!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's pretty common for heavy-bag newbies to sprain or even break their wrists going overboard on their punches.

Very true! I sprained my wrists several times during the years I trained like that. The way I learned self defense was not easy nor pain free but it gave me what I needed for that time in my life.

I adapted what I learned for my own needs. For instance, on Sudo, open hand, if the blow was not on target, it bruised my fingers so I adapted and curled my fingers in to prevent that. It's not pretty but it made devastating hits- perfect for breaking the collar bones.

The body bags also taught me to put body English on my back fists and that really paid off! Four guys jumped me in a parking lot in Tulsa. One came in from the right and slightly behind me. I knocked him out cold with a back fist to the temple. Another one took elbow strikes and foot stomps and a third collected two kicks to the groin. Number 4 decided he had enough and backed off. Street violence was a big part of my life for a very long time.

The forearm and elbow strikes by the thousands probably are the reason my elbows are trashed with arthritis as an old coot but as they say "I'd rather wear out than rust out."

Flash

Top Bottom