• ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The way I learned self defense was not easy nor pain free

That is excellent. It means your training is realistic!

For instance, on Sudo, open hand, if the blow was not on target, it bruised my fingers so I adapted and curled my fingers in to prevent that.

That's really what it's all about. Some people teach techniques because that's the way they've always been taught, regardless if there's room for improvement. If something doesn't work, change it so it does or discard it. Adapt and overcome!
    Capitol Armory ad

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Studied Jeet Kune Do as a teen and have no need for anything else.

As I recall, Jeet Kune Do was promoted by Bruce Lee and they fought in street clothes and shoes. Hearing about that concept was exactly why I quit formal Karate training and went with back alley training! It really changed my life and I was able to survive in a world that took the lives of several of my less prepared friends.

Haven't heard that term in decades. Is it still taught? I imagine the liability issues are extreme in teaching Jeet Kune Do.

Just a PS here. I sat in on some Polynesian Karate classes and was super impressed! They use a lot of "Grace" in their movements instead of brutal blocking moves. The concept brings their hands closer in to the opponent which requires less force to deflect a blow. For instance, instead of blocking a fist at the wrist with a hard block, they deflect the blow at the bicep with a less forceful movement. It looks a lot like Tae Chi and is a treat to watch. Anyone seen this form in action?

Flash

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I am unfamiliar with Polynesian Karate. A lot of what people are calling Karate isn't Karate at all, but actually a lot of lifted stuff from JKD. Not saying this is the case here, but the firs thing that strikes me as odd is that Karate is a Japanese sport.

There are still JKD instructors around, Dan Inosanto is the most famous; Jerry Poteet teaches as well. I am unaware of any legit classes which aren't invitation only. Be warned there are a lot of fraudulent people claiming to teach JKD who teach something entirely different. Ask for credentials. Anything from the Bruce Lee Foundation is legit; it will refer to the system as Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do since the term "Jeet Kune Do" was never copyrighted and is now being abused.

If you haven't read The Tao of Jeet Kune Do I strongly encourage you to do so. That book was truly life changing for me and the techniques I have utilized from it have saved me from dire circumstances numerous times. Reading it and practicing it with your friends is probably the best way to go.

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    Then I went to heavy body bags and learned to hit hard! You learn to hit by hitting.....not by pulling punches.

I mean no disrespect to you or to sport Karate. It just wasn't what I needed and honor, self discipline and gentle nature came later as I got older. It took a lifetime to learn what you guys teach in classes but I finally arrived at that sweet spot: the balance between skill/self confidence and humility.

Flash

Yup, right on. And no disrespect taken, we are in no way sport karate.

Lately our drills have been fighting our way from different positions with a partner holding a body shield - we fight out from seated, on one knee, on both knees and on our backs. If we don't hit hard enough to move them, we don't get to leave that position. It's been eye-opening, and so very exhausting.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Lately our drills have been fighting our way from different positions with a partner holding a body shield - we fight out from seated, on one knee, on both knees and on our backs. If we don't hit hard enough to move them, we don't get to leave that position. It's been eye-opening, and so very exhausting.
    Sounds like the right kind of drills to be practicing. Last class I was in, we practiced breaking a choke from the front, while on your back. Then used a training room and laid on a bed as if asleep and had a attacker choke you, was damn tough to break it on the soft mattress, and the attacker didnt let up at all, I could'nt break the choke with the safety gear on(meaning I couldnt break the choke by the prescribed method), so a couple good knees to his ribcage did the trick. Train how you fight, and it will increase your chances should you be involved in the real thing.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Some of these drills sounds good, but when do you face an opponent who is not a punching bag or following a script? What do you guys think the importance of sparring is? Is it "must have" for fighting competence or just a "nice to have" once in a while check on learning?

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    I started BJJ several years ago, then started Muay Thai. Lost 50 pounds and was in the best shape of my life.
    Then life happened.
    But just ordered a new Gi and I'm joining a new Gym this week. I've trained with pros and average Joe's and learned (for the most part) fighters are the coolest most down to earth guys I've ever met. No BS no drama, just hard work and respect.
    But I love it, it's better than therapy.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Took karate for 7 years as a kid until I joined the Corps.

Moved up north and took a few years of taekwon do and hapkido.

Looking to get into krav maga soon, I had fractured my femur and its finally feeling 100%

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I missed this thread.....

Black Blet in Songham Taekwondo, took Aikido years ago. I also took Krav for years. The TKD incorporated weapons and Pressure Point Control Tactics, which I had also learned and practiced while in the PD. At 51, there is no way I would use the high kicks we do in TKD. However, some of the front and side kicks are extremely effective. Krav is probably the most effective for an all out attack against you.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Do you still do Krav?

I stress fractured my Femur at the hip socket and while now "healed" I still have a very hard time with the higher kicks of tkd. I am very interested in Krav, but after simply inquiring once a few months ago, I've been bombarded at least weekly by the school calling to get me to come in. It makes me wonder since I learned they have a 2 year contract

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Do you still do Krav?

I stress fractured my Femur at the hip socket and while now "healed" I still have a very hard time with the higher kicks of tkd. I am very interested in Krav, but after simply inquiring once a few months ago, I've been bombarded at least weekly by the school calling to get me to come in. It makes me wonder since I learned they have a 2 year contract

No place near me any longer. I wish there was, it's a great workout

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    BTCollins in Sacramento. Possibility of Ft Hood in the future. Post BNCOC and ANCOC. Generally, between the SAIDA and COE classes.

Ok, well theres a lot of training going on in Central TX. PM me if you'd like to get with some other blade guys.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Been training since I was 7. Never liked anything enough to follow through to any advanced belts, so I've "been around". Too many craptastic schools in my area. I still train with some kenpo, aiki, and FMA guys every once in awhile, but I would say most of my practice these days comes from sparring with my bros after a few beers. I often wake up on Saturday and Sunday mornings with strange scrapes, cuts and bruises.

Top Bottom