• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry, I thought this thread had been closed. I posted a reply about the topic in another thread...

Given the now-closed discussion concerning the robbery at the Waffle House (which upset me, as I love Waffle Houses!), based on the video I saw I would not have engaged the three robbers for numerous reasons. First, there is the fact that they were in different places in the restaurant, which greatly decreased anyone's ability to be able to safely shoot all three. Secondly, there were far too many other people in the place to chance a shoot. I guarantee you that after the first shot it would have been pure chaos, greatly increases the chances of an innocent person being shot either by one of the robbers or myself. Lastly, despite the threat of lethal force it did seem as if the robbers' intent was only to rob the individuals. What that does justify deadly force in defense, I am not sure it always warrants it.

Again, this is just my opinion and I am sure many others don't agree to any or all of it. If there is one thing I have learned from my recent experience with the SAPD, it is that there is no "typical" scenario and no way anyone can accurately predict the outcome of certain courses of action. It is why so many "what if?" threads are posted on gun forums, to get people to think ahead of time what they might do; but the bottom line is that each situation is different and how it plays out is never know until it is over. The best you can hope for is that all anyone loses is their money or a few possessions. Once the gunfire starts, it's a whole different ballgame. I wouldn't be so quick to elevate it...

The closest Waffle House to those of us in San Antonio and the surrounding area is up in Austin. Might be worth the drive, as I too love their food...

Cheers! M2

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    We're going to have to have a Waffle House meet ... be funny if they hard roll the meet ... they walk in ... see 10 armed guys drawing and moving.

Bowel evacuation anyone?

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    The surveillance video was played here. It was scarry. They came in so fast that I doubt anyone with a CCW could have reacted. Only if perhaps one was in the back of the place. Then one would have to watch out for patrons.

I hope two things are in place now, or else there will be copycats. I hope there will be Undercover agents hanging out at the Waffle Houses. I hope that more CCW carriers will sit in the back, be more vigilant.

Myself I think I will start carrying a BIGGER CCW.

Exactly right. That's why I do sit where I can see the door. I had it happen once in a Pizza place (unarmed illinois) when two people came in and sat down, they were talking about robbing the place. Believe me I let my family know that we need to hurry up a bit but was ready to upend the table if they made a move to harm my family. About 5 mins later I saw the small town cop looking at a car in the lot and then walking in the pizza place. Hand on his pistol he asked them to step outside and cuffed them. They were wanted on warrents and had been overheard in the grocery next talk talking about hitting the pizza place. Yep I would rather carry my xd with 14 rounds fo 45 and in this case open carry might have detered them from even atmepting.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    From what I saw, those guys never intended to shoot.
    They just didn't look like they were prepared for anything more than intimidating a small amount of unarmed people that wouldn't fight back and gaining some petty cash.
    My two cents.
    soooooo.....you're going to wait until they actually pull the trigger before you believe they have "intent"???
    Malarky!
    Having a gun, in my face, IMO constitutes intent.

If they didnt show "intent" then it would also be safe to assume that their weapons were not loaded and were only props for the hold up.

I think not, if confronted they would have shown you their true colors.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    soooooo.....you're going to wait until they actually pull the trigger before you believe they have "intent"???
    Malarky!
    Having a gun, in my face, IMO constitutes intent.

If they didnt show "intent" then it would also be safe to assume that their weapons were not loaded and were only props for the hold up.

I think not, if confronted they would have shown you their true colors.
    Nope.
    I agree that if you had stood up toe to toe with them that they would most likely have reacted predictably.
    But for that particular occurrence, those guys let at least three things slide that someone who was truly violent would have lashed out for.
    1 - At the beginning, a women comes out of the restroom, then ducks back in after the men enter. At least two of the men saw her, but didn't do anything about it.
    A psychopath would have gone in after her and dragged her out.
    2 - The first clerk at the register touched the guy's weapon to push it away from her and didn't really have anything happen to her.
    A psychopath would have probably at least smacked her to send a message to avoid appearing weak.
    3 - The woman in the blue dress that ducked under the table appeared (too low quality to tell) to grab her cell phone. The guy with the Hi-point saw her, but did nothing to her.
    I believe someone who was truly violent may have at least taken the phone from her, if nothing else.

These are just my opinions.
    If everybody else here thinks I'm a raging wack-job, then we'll just agree to disagree.
    I respect everyone here too much to argue simple differences of opinion. And hey - maybe someone will convince me otherwise.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    No, I made the same observations and concluded that while they may have been armed, their only intent was robbery.

Now, once someone/anyone started shooting, I believe it would have been a bloodbath; which is more the reason to keep the John Wayne heroics in the holster and keep from elevating a bad situation to a worse one!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    ??? If you like corn syrup on Eggos... It's good drunk food I bet (maybe I'll try when I'm in Houston next weekend), but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody that's sober.
    Forget the whole shoot/dont shoot issue...
    You seriously dare to compare the fresh from the iron waffles that are created at that yellow beacon of goodness to an eggo??? We wont even address "the world's best coffee"....

a menu that is double sided/one page and laminated...c'mon dude! I pray that they will bring a WH to anywhere near San Antonio for even at $4 a gallon I will make the drive to eat there.

If you dont like the cusine than you just haven't aquired the taste yet...

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    You seriously dare to compare the fresh from the iron waffles that are created at that yellow beacon of goodness to an eggo??? We wont even address "the world's best coffee"....

a menu that is double sided/one page and laminated...c'mon dude! I pray that they will bring a WH to anywhere near San Antonio for even at $4 a gallon I will make the drive to eat there.

"Yellow beacon of good-ness!"

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    They have more than "Eggos", and the food is good and reasonably priced.

It's not expensive, but I didn't think very highly of it.

If you want to call those things "waffles"... They're not that good, and even at the lower prices they charge, they're making a killing on them. I can't comment on the coffee. It might be out of this world, but I haven't had a drop since well before I moved to Texas (holy crap, it's been about 4 years since I've had more than occasional caffeine), so I haven't tried it.

Still didn't think the food was very good.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow, there really isn't a WH in SA? I could have sworn I've seen one there before? Yes, this will be a meet, we will do this soon. Let me do some checking, because I thought I remember seeing a new WH being built somewhere in south Austin recently.

When we do this, we totally need to get a group picture of all you steely-eyed killers, and I don't want to see any smirks either this is serious business! This is TGT! When it comes to waffles, we don't play around like that. We need some waffles, soooowwwsages, bacon, bacon, more bacon....................................too much bacon?............................................don't be hatin' MORE BACON! Wash it all down with some Jack Daniels sooooowuce ;)

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    Nope.
    I agree that if you had stood up toe to toe with them that they would most likely have reacted predictably.
    But for that particular occurrence, those guys let at least three things slide that someone who was truly violent would have lashed out for.
    1 - At the beginning, a women comes out of the restroom, then ducks back in after the men enter. At least two of the men saw her, but didn't do anything about it.
    A psychopath would have gone in after her and dragged her out.
    2 - The first clerk at the register touched the guy's weapon to push it away from her and didn't really have anything happen to her.
    A psychopath would have probably at least smacked her to send a message to avoid appearing weak.
    3 - The woman in the blue dress that ducked under the table appeared (too low quality to tell) to grab her cell phone. The guy with the Hi-point saw her, but did nothing to her.
    I believe someone who was truly violent may have at least taken the phone from her, if nothing else.
    I can see that

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    If open carry passes it would be nice to visit this resturant as a group opening carrying some night. 30 people sitting there armed. I think that would have made them turn and leave. This worked for them this time and as such you can expect it again. I still think the amount of time they spent there had to feel awlful long for the patrons. Had police arrived I am guessing a hostage situation. Situational awareness should be practiced at all times. I moved here from a crime zone an you had to have that just walking out of your home. I can tell you this video wakes me back up and reminds me that since I have moved from Illinois where crime is rampet to Purmela 56 square miles and 288 people I still need to be vigilant.

Top Bottom