• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I see "turning the other cheek" as an act of defiance...

As in "is that the best you got? Here, try again and see if it bothers me"
    Guns International

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm not saying not to defend yourself if threatened, it's just if you play their game, you'll be shown that either you're no better than them, or that you're the one that provoked it.

Look at Charleston. Now I'm not defending white supremacists, but I defend their right to rally and protest. It was the Antifas that were prepared and provoked the fighting, yet when Trump eluded to the fact that there was bad on both sides, he was not only condemned by the left but also many on the right.

Last edited:

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    She was embarrassed by it and got upset. so she started yelled at me ........
    Had the same thing happen to me at a drive through bank window.

Get my money...its wrong...push button..."hey, this money is wrong"....Que up the super huffy teller...no way it could be wrong, counted three times....so I just drove away...

.....a cool 40 dollars richer!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Sometimes you have to mirror your opposition.

Let them walk all over you and that's your future.

Them, walking all over you because you're doing the gentlemanly thing...

Nope, wouldn't be prudent...

As far as you being thought of in the same light that shines on them...that is monstrous, that's a chance you'll have to hazard. Or, be a greasy spot....

Afraid of being thought in this negative light or that? Do you think they fear such? They depend on you being timid or excuse me, doing the gentlemanly thing by civil, while they get to destroy you and what you cherish.

Time for being civil when they're uncivil (to say the least) is over, unless you care to roll over, expose your belly and declare: Do with me as you wish as I won't fight back...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...so I just drove away...
    My mom and sis went through that one time when they were working a cash-intensive little business. They didn't count the money at the commercial drive-thru teller, got home, and found they had $2K more than they should have. This was right after lunchtime.

They called the bank, talked to two different people (manager, then teller, then handed back to manager) who all assured them this was impossible, using rather firm language that bordered on the unproffessional. They left their name and info and told the bank folks to contact them when they closed out that day if there were any irregularities.

At about 5PM, the bank manager knocks on their door with paperwork in hand, very sheepishly asking if they would please give back the $2000. They did, of course.

My point is that people will get their back up and defend an indefensible position when they feel threatened. All the bank had to do was stop and do the count, i.e. close out/reconcile the drawer for that particular teller. They were busy, didn't want to be bothered, and insulted that anyone would point out a mistake on their part. They reacted badly even though they were completely wrong.

That happens in all manner of human discourse.

Personally, my style is a little different. I tend to ask people questions. If their position is wrong, it's usually possible to ask the right questions in the right way so that they'll eventually contradict themselves in such an obvious manner that they'll be forced to fall back on "No, y'see, that's different" in an obvious act of desperation.

Their mind isn't changed but you can sometimes see the wheels turn in the minds of observers. I think that's about the best we can hope for in most such discussions if they occur in the political realm.

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Had the same thing happen to me at a drive through bank window.

Get my money...its wrong...push button..."hey, this money is wrong"....Que up the super huffy teller...no way it could be wrong, counted three times....so I just drove away...

At least you got paid for your victimization.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I remember being screamed and cursed at by a nurse in an emergency room once. She was screaming and cursing at a whole hallway full of people who were milling about because the waiting room was packed. The hallway was off-limits to family and she was trying to clear it.

Everyone cleared out except me. She started yelling at me.

"Ma'am, I'd be happy to leave. I'll do so right now. However, I was wondering if you were willing to answer the question I asked 5 minutes ago."

"What question?"

"Which bed is my mother in?" I gave her my mom's name.

"Number 7."

"Thank you."

I then proceeded to do exactly as she instructed, clear the employee-only hallway, by walking straight back further into the space, away from the waiting room, and joining my mother at her bedside.

I did what she instructed. I don't think I did what she intended.

There are so many ways to let people who are being irrational or controlling use their words to get exactly what they ask for while also getting exactly what they don't want. You just have to stay cool and think it through.

Someone once told me I had a knack for "malicious compliance." I rather like the sound of that.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, you are in charge of Maxine.
    Not funny. I'm actually considering moving into the district represented by Sheila Jackson Lee and while I have good reasons for doing so (we really need to be closer to the med center for me to take better care of my sister) the whole notion of having an insane dullard supposedly representing me gives me great pause.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Not funny. I'm actually considering moving into the district represented by Sheila Jackson Lee and while I have good reasons for doing so (we really need to be closer to the med center for me to take better care of my sister) the whole notion of having an insane dullard supposedly representing me gives me great pause.
    Gosh Ben, not sure why you are rating her so high. I find I have a lot in common with her, the number of eyelets for my shoe laces and her IQ.

"Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority, the Republicans, my chairman and others, for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not.

Today we have two Vietnams, side by side, north and south."

Sheila Jackson Lee

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If so, I can see a lot of posts in the Rants and Raves thread in your future, and I can guess they won't be many raves.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If so, I can see a lot of posts in the Rants and Raves thread in your future, and I can guess they won't be many raves.
    I have no idea how the rants and raves will balance out. I worked downtown long enough to know plenty of things I'll complain about. OTOH, when you don't have kids to be worried about and you need high-quality medical care to be both close and convenient, living near downtown can have major upside potential.

No decision has been made. If it happens, you can be fairly sure I'll talk about it on TGT. I find it hard enough to keep my mouth shut when there's nothing going on in my life. :)

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    As it should!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    You are right it is hard to take the high road. That is why some times I don't.

I just act kind to them. They may be idiots but they have the freedom to be. If they are willing to listen I got no problem helping them see the path their going isn't the right one. Some may listen some may not. I know I don't go to political rallies because I don't want to put myself in a bad spot. I will not end up in a court room being asked why I broke somebody. I'm not perfect I could have my temper get the better of me or worse misread someone and my muscle memory take control. I'm not gonna do that to myself. Its true some of these people deserve to end up a vegetable but that's not my call. I'm just not gonna be someplace where aggression is so high and people get in your space so quickly.

I would rather just try to change one persons mind at a time. Show them we aren't what the media or democrats label us as.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    According to the left, I believe I'm not alone here.
    giphy.gif

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom